Introduction, and request for advice

Hi folks,

I'm an admirer of DE boats and would like to buy one, but I live in FL, so there are very few available down here. I just sold a Parker 25 that my girlfriend and I have cruised the Bahamas in extensively, and we realized that we pushed the limits of that boat a long time ago and need to get something that suits our cruising and fishing needs. We'll be on a steep learning curve, but we're both pretty studious.

We want a DE because of the graceful lines, fuel economy, seakeeping ability, and ability to push into a steady head sea. We're not rich, and have failed to find what we're looking for in our $75k price range. I love the Eastern 31, Holland 32, Wilbur 34, and Bruno and Stillman 35. I've never been on any of these boats, so I can't say why I love them beyond their looks and availability of some that are somewhat in my price range.

We've found a Crusader 34 for sale here in FL. I can't find much information about these boats except that they're built in FL and are used commercially. It sounds like they have some DE qualities, but I can't find photos of one out of the water. I'd love to hear from somebody who has some experience with these boats, and can comment on build quality and sea handling.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen

Kailua Kid

Commander
Website
www.gibbonslawgroup.com
Boat Make
General Marine 26; Klamath 19; Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 38 sloop
Hi folks,

I'm an admirer of DE boats and would like to buy one, but I live in FL, so there are very few available down here. I just sold a Parker 25 that my girlfriend and I have cruised the Bahamas in extensively, and we realized that we pushed the limits of that boat a long time ago and need to get something that suits our cruising and fishing needs. We'll be on a steep learning curve, but we're both pretty studious.

We want a DE because of the graceful lines, fuel economy, seakeeping ability, and ability to push into a steady head sea. We're not rich, and have failed to find what we're looking for in our $75k price range. I love the Eastern 31, Holland 32, Wilbur 34, and Bruno and Stillman 35. I've never been on any of these boats, so I can't say why I love them beyond their looks and availability of some that are somewhat in my price range.

We've found a Crusader 34 for sale here in FL. I can't find much information about these boats except that they're built in FL and are used commercially. It sounds like they have some DE qualities, but I can't find photos of one out of the water. I'd love to hear from somebody who has some experience with these boats, and can comment on build quality and sea handling.

Thanks in advance!

Stephen
Don’t rule out buying a downeast boat wherever you can find one (the right one) and having it delivered or trucked to Florida. I was unable to find what I was looking for in the Pacific Northwest and so bought a General Marine 26 in Maine, then had her trucked out here to the Puget Sound. I am very glad I did not compromise what I was looking for in a boat based on what was available in the local market. With a survey, sea trial, maybe an oil sample and or engine tech involved during the sea trial and or survey, buying remotely just comes down to the cost of transport or delivery (on her own bottom). That cost might be less than you think, and in any event, might be insignificant when weighed against getting what you are really looking for in a boat. Just a thought. Enjoy your search!

Top Bottom