Introduction

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Hello everybody. I'm sure by now 90% of you have seen at least one or two of my posts - hopefully gaining some insight or at least a chuckle along the way.

My name is Travis Otis and I build boats. My father, Keith Otis, started Otis Enterprises Marine way back in 1979 and built some of the best-known Downeast boats; Sentinel - Mass State Police, Odysea (originally Weejack) and $upplement to name just a few. Ten percent of Flye Point's total production run of the BHM line was finished off in our shop, no small feat for a single business.

I grew up in the shop, picking up a certain skill set along the way though a process I can only call "Styrene Osmosis".

My boat is the First Team, you may have heard of her, together we compete in the Maine Lobster Boat Races all along the coast and we have had a very good run. I am the Vice-President of the Maine Lobster Boat Racing Association which presides over the individual races. My father is the Chairman for the Searsport Lobster Boat Races.

We are dealers of SisuDiesel engines. We have mechanical engines available for repowers as well as electronically controlled engines for new builds.

We try to focus on new construction but we also do refurbishing and renovations. Engine swaps, running gear updates, pretty much anything that you might want done - we've even gone as far as a one-off hull built from scratch.

So there it is. All wrapped up nice and neat, short and simple and tucked into a nutshell with a pretty pink bow. I will be posting project and things that relate to the shop and racing in this section. Feel free to check it out.

05bill

Admiral
Boat Make
rp, willis beal
Travis Otis and Otis Enterprises

Currently doing a swim platform project on an RP 31. I had Travis make me a swim platform, he was timely with the build, fair in price ,and knowledgeable about what was needed. I highly recommend him and his organization.

Know I need someone who can expertly attach the swim platform - Fairhaven, Ma. , any recommendations would be helpful. P.M. if you will.

Regards, and thank you.

05 Bill

Teaserhead

1st Mate
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Bhm

Hi Travis, I'm a lurker on this forum since last fall, and always enjoy your input. Your knowledge of everything "Down East Boats" is truley impressive and I have learned a lot from your posts and I just wanna say thank you! I'm from the Pacific Northwest, had never seen a DE boat in the flesh, till last labour day wknd, and I saw Maine Boats West, Flowers 33, and was totally smitten. Since then I put both boats I owned up for sale and over the coarse of the winter , I was fortunate to sell them both. With some expert guidance from Larry Bussey, North East Yachts, I now own my first DE!! I purchased Guardian, a 31 BHM that was in Santa Barbara Ca and now calls Bellingham Wa home. Her previous name back in Md was Chinchary, she is finished off as a cruiser, and I'm wondering if OEM might have finished her, because she is just a beauty! She had a FB which I removed to transport, and decided to leave off. Hull ID # is BHH31249G090 Any history on my boat would be much appreciated. Thanks Travis.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
Background

Your boat was finished off by Flye Point and it was part of the triple launch that they did. They launched a BHM 36 cruiser which went to California, they launched a BHM 28 and this BHM 31. The original name was Simico (named after the grandchildren) and it was built for Robert & Joan Stafford who had a summer home down in Blue Hill, ME. They sold it to Jonathan Edwards and the rest of the story is here.

Vessel Name: GUARDIAN USCG Doc. No.: 975679 Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: * Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: * Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: BHH31249G090 Ship Builder: FLYE POINT MARINE Year Built: 1991

Length (ft.): 31.8 Hailing Port: SANTA BARBARA CA Hull Depth (ft.): 6.5 Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.): 11.5 Gross Tonnage: 15 Net Tonnage: 12 Documentation Issuance Date: November 02, 2010 Documentation Expiration Date: November 30, 2011 Previous Vessel Names: MERRYMAC V
SIMICO
THE GREEN ROOM
Previous Vessel Owners: FESS E PARKER III
PAUL MASIEL
PAUL MASIEL
MICHAEL B MACWILLIAMS
JONATHAN E EDWARDS

Teaserhead

1st Mate
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Thanks for that, greatly appreciated Travis. I'd love to have the build sheet on her, but doubt if that's possible? Also the boat came with at least 500 lbs of lead ingots in the keel, now that the FB is off, what's your advice? Leave it in, or take it out. Thanks again

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
Boat Make
all of that stuff is long gone, circle filed during the PURGE.

as to your lead, its up to you. you might get some fuel effiency by taking some out. try it and see if you like how it goes.

Raider Ronnie

Admiral
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.
Awesome.
Travis,
This "Styrene Osmosis"
Have you ever consulted your doctor about it ?
I'm pretty sure I suffer from it also from growing up in my grandfather's shop from the time I was 4-5 years old.
I'm close to 50, pretty sure older than you and it's been taking it's toll on me for quite a few years now .
My doctor tells me there's no hope of a cure for me :D

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH.. Piscataqua and Merrimack Rivers
Boat Make
27 H&H with Cummins QSB 5.9 480 power
Your boat was finished off by Flye Point and it was part of the triple launch that they did. They launched a BHM 36 cruiser which went to California, they launched a BHM 28 and this BHM 31. The original name was Simico (named after the grandchildren) and it was built for Robert & Joan Stafford who had a summer home down in Blue Hill, ME. They sold it to Jonathan Edwards and the rest of the story is here.

Vessel Name: GUARDIAN USCG Doc. No.: 975679 Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: * Trade Indicator: Recreational Call Sign: * Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: BHH31249G090 Ship Builder: FLYE POINT MARINE Year Built: 1991

Length (ft.): 31.8 Hailing Port: SANTA BARBARA CA Hull Depth (ft.): 6.5 Owner: Hull Breadth (ft.): 11.5 Gross Tonnage: 15 Net Tonnage: 12 Documentation Issuance Date: November 02, 2010 Documentation Expiration Date: November 30, 2011 Previous Vessel Names: MERRYMAC V
SIMICO
THE GREEN ROOM
Previous Vessel Owners: FESS E PARKER III
PAUL MASIEL
PAUL MASIEL
MICHAEL B MACWILLIAMS
JONATHAN E EDWARDS

FESS E PARKER III

His grand dad was a hell of an actor !

Fess Parker

FessParker1955.jpg

Teaserhead

1st Mate
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Ha yup! Old gramps was pretty fond of the Guardian I'm told. Thanks again for the help Travis. BTW I strongly believe that if you loaded up a couple of your favorite molds and hauled em out west......you'd do well young man! We def need more DE around here!

Capt. Rick

1st Mate
Boat Make
31 RP Willis Beal
Well all right then, great idea.... looks forward to seeing some more of your projects !! Mo crack for the crack heads :)

Top Bottom