Introducung more Downeast boats to the west coast market proposal

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
For years i wondered why there weren't more Downeast boats sold on the west Coast and after talking to a number of the downeast boat builders on the East Coast they explained to me why that is. Simply put most are small family run business so it's just to expensive to do much marketing in the west. I've beening studying the small trailerable boat market 25' to 29' for a number of years i was looking for as close to the perfect boat to cruise from Seattle to Alaska in. out of all the boats i bought and did the cruise in they all fell short untill i did it in a small down east style pilot house. this market for a nice lets say 25' to 29' foot boat is not being addressed like it could be. Ranger tug saw the need and is selling alot of boat, so much so that Nordic Tug began building there 26' tug again that they had discontinued for many years. Because they saw that market was not being meet. So here is what I propose Now no one can afford to market these downeast boats set up a sale team in Seattle it to expensive, especially for an experiment.
But what if several of you boat builders let say 10 builder got together pool our resources and we get a booth at the Seattle Boat Show now here is where it gets fun, We need a boat for people to see get on touch and feel.
Could all of you builder pool your resourse and build a 26 or 27 9.5 beam cruising boat/ Fishing Boat. galley up head up, no motor box, as big of hard top as possible, in Seattle people live under the hard top. make this Test boat very nice, keep the name generic so it represents your whole group. Then every one that participate in purchasing the booth have some very nice Brochures made up full color with pictures of you own boat price list. and options with lots of details with package pricing [ Talk more about that at another time.] And let people see this boat up close and personal Then take the boat from Seattle Show to the Portland Show then the Vancouver show. I have trucks that i could move the boat from one show to the next show and sea trial the boat if people wanted to order one. Maybe at lest one of the builders of the test boat could be there to answer question and help me sale orders for the boats. I have the room to store a boat or two at my Facility between shows I have a number of other ideas but this is enough for one post, is any one interested is seeing if this would work???? Feel free to add thoughts, shot the idea full of holes or what ever. and if its a bad idea i will quit posting about selling more boat out west. IF you builders think it would work Why not try to put something together for next year.
I would be happy to help with the marketing end of things.

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
I am from Seattle and I think you have a reasonable idea. I have been looking for something in this range but can't seem to get everything that I want in a package much smaller than 34' It would be great if I could find something that would fit on a trailer, but still big enough to travel, fish and sleep on. I have a naval architect from Olympia doing a preliminary lobster boat concept. It will be interesting to see what he comes up with.
If the hull acts like a Grady SV 2 I will be very happy. That hull works very well in puget sound even at 22' I also have owned BW, a Lindell 38 (should have kept it) and currently a Fleming 55 which was in the boat show. Too big and too slow for me but very comfortable. I am hoping to sell the Fleming and the Grady and replace with the Lobster boat. I like the San Juans but they are very expensive.

here is a quote from another post.
My concept of a 27' 29' downeast with a 9'5 to 10' foot beam a little more beam than a ranger tug not quit as much fluff as the ranger tug and more wood work and less plastic just good solid craftmanship would be a home run. just like what you want would be popular over here

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
Guitarman: I read most of this thread [short attention span], and I could not agree more. I too want a seaworthy boat around 28', and I will not buy one with an engine box in the middle of the deck. My wife wants to get rid of our current boat [25' express cruiser] and get a 27' Ranger Tug. I think the big attraction with Ranger's are the single diesel engine [nothing speaks more about longevity then a diesel]. We saw a 27' Ranger for about $190,000. If you could find a way to bring the price bown a bit, and offer the same anemities, you may have a hit on your hands. Good Luck...

another quote from a different tread

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
G-man I am also in Seattle and am a fan of DE type boats. Some of the reasons for the rarity here include cost of transport and lots of local types that are ugly but seaworthy and competitive. You might consider a used Nordic tug or american tug. As for the long life of the diesel motor well the new versions are not what they used to be. Lots of alloy light construction and very high compression high exhaust heat along with higher rpm. Much more like a race car motor. Modern diesel motors take a lot of careful loading(read propping) and maintenance to achieve long life. The main advantages of diesel are less volatile fuel(little explosion risk) No alcohol fuel problem and more mileage per gallon. The disadvantages are heavy compared to Gasser and much more expensive to buy and maintain.

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
eyschulman.
yes very good points and the Nordic tugs are a great boat much like the Grand banks 36 i liked the Grand Banks but it was to slow it was very comfortable but i wanted something a little more versatile, the Market that i would like to build a boat for is a boat for the 26' to 29' range that could be trailered all though maybe not every day. 9.5 beam or a little bigger i think 9.5 would be ideal enough room for a couple to cruise and big enough to Cross the Queen charlotte Sound, the Dixon entrance in Alaska but still small enough the you could move if you wanted to with out to much trouble.
And don't get me wrong i know we have some great builder out west here. But i think there is a place for the Downeast semi displacement hull.
also.[ and the looks of the Downeast boats are Second to none ]

Last edited:

MouseTrap

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Rosborough
From one of your other threads:
Just a hunch, This does not end well.

With all due respect, you will not even get 10 Maine boat builders to reply to this thread, let alone get together and print glossy fliers for a pacific North West boat show. It simply will not happen.

Hell, you won't even find 10 boat builders at the Maine Boat builders show (other than builders of skiffs, kayaks, and prams). You should reallyattend this years Maine Boat Builders show.

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
There are lots of semidisplacement boats built and sold in the NW. What is missing is the DE look. One of the problems with the DE look in a small boat is small acomodations. Look at some of Sam Devlins 25-30ft power boats on Devlinboats.com. Sam's boats can compete with DE for looks and are plenty seaworthy for NW use.

leek

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Fleming 55, Grady 225 Tournament
Sam is doing preliminary design for me currently on mid 30's lobsterboat. I think he is very credible and capable. I hope to sell a Fleming and move down to a planing boat that is easier to take care of and a little easier to singlehand (Fleming weighs 40 plus tons). Maybe even participate in the build and learn something. I liked the 45 he had at the boat show, lots of character

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Leek take a look at the boat in Sam's shop almost finished. A large NW version of a DE semidisplacement hull. We almost bought a Fleming but decided it was too much boat for us.

MR 1.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_1933.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
With all due respect, you will not even get 10 Maine boat builders to reply to this thread, let alone get together and print glossy fliers for a pacific North West boat show. It simply will not happen.

They may not respond to this thread but some have send me a P.M with some questions one of which was what does a booth cost at the Seattle boat show . he must not of thought it was a stupid Idea.

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
I read this knowing your a marketing guy. First thing that comes to mind is what's in it for you ?

Not Really anything other than maybe i could drive the 5 or 6 hours to Seattle and buy a Downeast boats instead of driving to the east coast. Over the last eight or ten years of cruising the west coast i've talked to alot of people about what there looking for in a boat and i've been testing my theory by driving back to the east coast buying a boat cruising the inland passage in the boat making sure that its in good condition put a for sell sign in the window and then selling the boat. I've made money on each boat that i've sold. So i thought perhaps i could share some of that info with the builder back there and help them sell a few boats

Last edited:

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
There are lots of semidisplacement boats built and sold in the NW. What is missing is the DE look. One of the problems with the DE look in a small boat is small acomodations. Look at some of Sam Devlins 25-30ft power boats on Devlinboats.com. Sam's boats can compete with DE for looks and are plenty seaworthy for NW use.

I'm not dishing the West Coast boats at all I have had a number of them.
and there great boats. i've had tours of nordic tugs factory Ranger Tug Seasports. Cdory, Osprey Norstar,30' CommandersI've been on most of them. Nice boats all of them but someone backs in a San Juan 38' in to a slip people forget what there doing and look and the same with these Downeast boat they just have that look. there's only one Corvette and you can't copy it same with the downeast boats I believe there is a Market for them on the west coast, The Gulf Coast, any where there is water.

leek

Lieutenant
Boat Make
That is a $700,000 boat last time I checked, everyone should look.... I think there are good boatbuilders and designers here but the cost of labor is very high. I think there is room for the down east practicality and aesthetic but the boats need to respect the waters they run in as well.
Any good naval architect could design you a rudimentary hull that would look downeast. If you could get downeast boatbuilders and desigers to partner with their counterparts here you could get something special done that would be a hit in the marketplace.

guitarman

Commander
Boat Make
Dyer 29 Hardtop
attachment.php

attachment.php

here is a great looking downeast

Last edited by a moderator:

leek

Lieutenant
Boat Make
All of the boats shown are good looking. The one on yachtworld is about what I am looking for except for the single engine and the prop drive. My dock is shoal at low water and I am looking for mid 20's cruise if possible.

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
If you don't think our DE boats will handle rough waters then you haven't been on one or at least not in rough water.I don't know where you are getting your info,you can get a DE boat with extended pilothouse,they do it all the time.As far as trailering a DE boat most states are limited to 8'6" to 9' so you will be limited as to what you personally can trailer,other than hiring a moving co..Ken Flowers can build you a 30' with the amenity's that you wish,Ken can give you a price.As far as getting 10 boat builders together,not happening,not in this lifetime,you may not see a big difference in DE boats but it would be like trying to get Ford & Chevy to work together on a car & then throw some dodge parts in the mix,same thing aint happening.Talk is cheap takes money to buy rum,you want a DE boat that will take you out safely in rough water & do 20kt. cruise dig deep into your pocket,you talk like you got the funds just buy a damn boat & get fishing times a wastin!:D

leek

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Palawanbound, I am not sure who you are directing your post to. I assumed that DE boats with the rounded chine and deep keel would ride well. Not sure if they would roll a lot and we get quite a few steep 3-4' tug waves hitting you in the beam.
I have a trailarable 225 Tournament Grady White so am not looking for a sub 30 DE boat. I do want to sell the 55 Fleming before commissioning another boat. In the mean time I am using the Grady for trapping and fishing. My preferance would be to hire local and get the DE aesthetic. The chines likely will be harder, less keel, higher freeboard, shoal draft and outdrives if possible in a length from 30-38'. The OP was about a possible niche market in the NW for DE type boats, I think he has a good point. Whether he or anyone else has the means to carry out the vision is up to them.

greg

Captain
Palawanbound, I am not sure who you are directing your post to. I assumed that DE boats with the rounded chine and deep keel would ride well. Not sure if they would roll a lot and we get quite a few steep 3-4' tug waves hitting you in the beam.
I have a trailarable 225 Tournament Grady White so am not looking for a sub 30 DE boat. I do want to sell the 55 Fleming before commissioning another boat. In the mean time I am using the Grady for trapping and fishing. My preferance would be to hire local and get the DE aesthetic. The chines likely will be harder, less keel, higher freeboard, shoal draft and outdrives if possible in a length from 30-38'. The OP was about a possible niche market in the NW for DE type boats, I think he has a good point. Whether he or anyone else has the means to carry out the vision is up to them.

If you want to see a wake, you should see what a sub will throw at full surface snort. I think you have a few of those up in Seattle, we certainly do coming in/out of new london.

Tugs are ripples by comparison.

But not speaking for all DE boats, mine doesn't tend to roll, it certainly doesn't snap/roll like a big sporty will.

If you want to avoid the roll at drift, just add a tail sail. I'm sure there is a tech term for it, but old timers used to use them so they wouldn't be in the ditch when pulling in their strings. At least that's what I think they were for.

Top Bottom