Is a battery box required?

tburke

Lieutenant
Have a Duffy 26 ' I want to relocate the 2 group 27 batteries. Perhaps in the bilge space fwd of the engine. Perhaps above the deck.

Is a tray with hold down clamps consider sufficient or should they be in enclosed plastic boxes (strapped down)?

Thanks

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
While a battery box is not essential the positive terminal needs a protective cap and the battery must be fixed in place(no move no upside down flip) and there should be adequate ventilation. Without those things I would not pass you on an VSC inspection.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
A battery tray & straps are fine. My vessel was survived three times & never a comment on the lack of battery boxes. With group 27 just make sure that you keep the batteries as close to the motor as possible. The shorter the battery cable the better. Voltage drop really takes it toll.

Picture 4890.jpg

Picture 4889.jpg

Picture 4888.jpg

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
Right the tray and straps are adequate fixation. Without the box the protective cap on the Positive terminal is needed it can not be where it could shock or spark on contact with a tool or other metal. A box also has to be fixed usually with a strap. No movement and no flip over does not mater how you do it.

Last edited:

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Have a Duffy 26 ' I want to relocate the 2 group 27 batteries. Perhaps in the bilge space fwd of the engine. Perhaps above the deck.

Is a tray with hold down clamps consider sufficient or should they be in enclosed plastic boxes (strapped down)?

Thanks

I would suggest enclosing them to contain spilled electrolyte, an acid proof (fiberglass or plastic) box with ventilation. Even if it is not a wet cell it could expand in its case from freezing or overheat and make a terrible and dangerous mess.
ABYC recommendations suggestions from E-11 2008 follow the CFR. Generally good recommendations, generally pointed out in surveys.

From the Code of Federal Regulations:

Sec. 183.420 Batteries.

(a) Each installed battery must not move more than one inch in any direction when a pulling force of 90 pounds or twice the battery weight, whichever is less, is applied through the center of gravity of the battery as follows:

(1) Vertically for a duration of one minute.

(2) Horizontally and parallel to the boat's center line for a duration of one minute fore and one minute aft.

(3) Horizontally and perpendicular to the boat's center line for a duration of one minute to starboard and one minute to port.

(b) Each battery must be installed so that metallic objects cannot come in contact with the ungrounded battery terminals.

(c) Each metallic fuel line and fuel system component within 12 inches and above the horizontal plane of the battery top surface as installed must be shielded with dielectric material.

(d) Each battery must not be directly above or below a fuel tank, fuel filter, or fitting in a fuel line.

(e) A vent system or other means must be provided to permit the discharge from the boat of hydrogen gas released by the battery.

(f) [Reserved]

(g) Each battery terminal connector must not depend on spring tension for its mechanical connection to the terminal.

[CGD 73-217, 42 FR 5944, Jan. 31, 1977, as amended by CGD 81-092, 48 FR 55736, Dec. 15, 1983]

From ABYC E-11 2008.

11.10 OVERCURRENT PROTECTION
11.10.1 LOCATION OF OVERCURRENT PROTECTION – DC CIRCUITS
11.10.1.1.1 Overcurrent Protection Device Location - Ungrounded conductors shall be provided with
overcurrent protection within a distance of seven inches (175mm) of the point at which the conductor is
connected to the source of power measured along the conductor. (See FIGURE 15.)
EXCEPTIONS:

1. Cranking motor conductors.
2. If the conductor is connected directly to the battery terminal and is contained throughout its
entire distance in a sheath or enclosure such as a conduit, junction box, control box or enclosed
panel, the overcurrent protection shall be placed as close as practicable to the battery, but not to
exceed 72 inches (1.83m).
3. If the conductor is connected to a source of power other than a battery terminal and is contained
throughout its entire distance in a sheath or enclosure such as a conduit, junction box, control box
or enclosed panel, the overcurrent protection shall be placed as close as practicable to the point of
connection to the source of power, but not to exceed 40 inches (1.02m).
4. Overcurrent protection is not required in conductors from self-limiting alternators with integral
regulators if the conductor is less than 40 inches (1.02m), is connected to a source of power other
than the battery, and is contained throughout its entire distance in a sheath or enclosure.
5. Pigtails less than 7 inches (175mm) in length are exempt from overcurrent protection
requirements.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Reading that reminds of a house fire I went to with my father when I was a kid- guy had his metal 6 gallon gas tank on some shelves in the basement for the winter. Full.

Shelves collapsed and tank landed on boat batteries and shorted the terminals. He only lost about 90% of his house. No one was hurt though but blew the bilco door off the concrete well and across the yard. His spray paint cans were shooting like fireworks when we got there. Pretty hairy sight for a 10 year old me. Store batteries/fuel carefully.

Lion's Paw

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.divehatteras.com
Boat Make
42 Duffy
8dblowup.gif

Yes, a battery box is a very good idea. Don't kid yourself, get a good one and install it correctly.

Top Bottom