Is there any good New England inshore saltwater fishing to be had between now and May?

MAArcher

Captain
Just daydreaming about where to go and what to catch to satisfy an urge for some fresh seafood.

I'm wondering if winter flounder is a possibility off the Merrimack river jetties or Plum Island beaches?

AW_Holland32

Captain
I wouldn't know where to begin?
Dead low tide waterproof boots rocky beach, I find them in clusters along little streams of tidal water. I guess they are ones that broke loose from deeper beds of oysters, I get beautiful huge wilds right in Lloyd harbor, Huntington Long Island. I imagine in a big oyster farming area like duxbury there would be tons of loose ones around. Gotta flush out the sand a little but some of the best I’ve ever had. If they are not heavy they’re dead.

Jamato14

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Jim
Boat Make
23’ Palmetto Custom CC
Find yourself a holdover striper
Holdovers are the only thing north of the cape until haddock season opens especially close to shore or from shore. Either try for some holdovers or break out the fly rods and hit some local rivers for trout (not saltwater but fun to pass the time til you spend every weekend prepping then using the boat).

Tautog

Lieutenant
First Name
Joe
who is to say there are no flounder off the merrimack river jettys? or plum island beaches? Are there lots of them no but im sure there are a few around at times. I know guys catch them off the piers around Boston sometimes.... give it a shot! and report back lol

Snake8

Commander
Smelt. There is/was an early squid run. Hake can be found inshore in winter. Good tide cycle rn for wild shellfish. Mussels are abundant. There should be some cod around but you cant keep em. If you can get into a little deeper water you should be able to find most groundfish species, not in abundance but there should be some fish around. When I used to comm rod and reel for cod in the winter we didnt have to go far to find some truly huge fish.

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
Come to Connecticut. I'll take you blackfishing fishing or striper fishing in April. Our spring fishery is great!
I grew up down there, fished out if Niantic. Had no clue how lucky I was to have great spring, summer and fall inshore fisheries... Here in maine there are stripers June-Sept and that's about it.

Codcruncher

Commander
I grew up down there, fished out if Niantic. Had no clue how lucky I was to have great spring, summer and fall inshore fisheries... Here in maine there are stripers June-Sept and that's about it.
Do you think the haddock are fairly tight in April and May...seems the last couple of years I've been finding them in pockets close....Tanners ,off Kennebunkport??

Snake8

Commander
Do you think the haddock are fairly tight in April and May...seems the last couple of years I've been finding them in pockets close....Tanners ,off Kennebunkport??
I did OK on haddock inshore in the spring, 150-180' back in the day. Having said that, all I caught last year in those spots were cod. Mass publishes cod/haddock maps, link below that is supposed to help anglers avoid the cod, might be worth a look to find some early fish....

Download the haddock recreational fishing maps on your smartphone

MAArcher

Captain
I did OK on haddock inshore in the spring, 150-180' back in the day. Having said that, all I caught last year in those spots were cod. Mass publishes cod/haddock maps, link below that is supposed to help anglers avoid the cod, might be worth a look to find some early fish....

Download the haddock recreational fishing maps on your smartphone
Any tricks on getting the app to work? I downloaded the app and searched "mass haddock" and nothing comes up.

Snake8

Commander
Maybe the new maps arent out yet? I havent fiddled with it yet this year. I do recall it was a bit finicky when I did it last year. I know MA DMF is super busy right now with all this lobster/whale shit and a couple other things, so maybe they just havent done it yet. Will let you know if I come up with anything.

toolmaker

Commander

from Faulkner's Island east to Block even I can catch fish ! Captain Jay

Top Bottom