Is this a dumb idea and what angle to set a rod for GBFT?

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
So not really knowing what I was doing at the beginning of the year I jumped on what I thought was a deal on a pair of rods/reels to get me started on sharks and bluefin. A pair of old unbranded rods with AFTCO roller guides and 130/#6 sized straight buts with Penn Senator 12/0's. My boat has 0 degree swivel rod holders. I figured I'd buy a pair of used bent butts and I'd be good to go. Unfortunately, the rods are too old, the threads on the rod collet are to course and they won't work with any of the available bent butts. I've been searching all year and have never seen old AFTCO "big game" bent butts that would work with the real seats come up for sale on eBay or FB marketplace. The link to Johnny's Pond is old, they don't actually have them.

I know I should probably just buy a pair of 130 class rods and reels. But I got both these two set ups for $500. So rather than sell them and then pony up a couple thousand for a pair of used 130's, I'm thinking there still might be a way to make what I have work, which could be to use an "outrodder" like this: EZ Outrodder ; however, I'm doubtful they would be strong enough and I might need custom fixed angle ones fabricated. An alternative to custom outrodders would be to make an angled cut in the butts of my rods, flip the two pieces 180 from each other, and weld them back together, essentially turning my straight butts into angled butts. If I made the cuts, I think I know someone who would weld them back together for next to nothing, so this is the cheapest option. But if the welds aren't strong enough, I just destroyed two rods because I can't find old style replacement butts and who wants 130 class stand up rods anyway?

As far as the reels go, they are in great shape and it seems if I do an upgrade kit to the drags, I'll get about 40lbs of drag out of them. Not sure of line capacity but I think about 8-900 yards of 130lb mono. Sufficient to catch a tuna?

If I cut my straight butts, does anyone have any advice as to the optimum angle I would want?

Another option might be to cut the collet and ferrule off the rod and replace with a new one that will work with a pair of Pac Bay bent butts that I bought (which is how I learned my threads are to course). Does anyone know what kind of task that would be? If you can get old ferrules off without destroying the rods, then it would cost me about $60 for a pair of new ferrules and collet nuts, and I'd be left with nice Varmac real seats and old AFTCO straight butts that are probably junk because there's no rods out there with that course threaded collet nut to match up.

Codcruncher

Rear Admiral
Lite User

PatriciaLynn

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Repco
Just take them to a rod builder and have them put modern bent butts on them. You can do it yourself if you read up on it and go carefully. You don't want to use straight butts for tuna, you will never be at a good angle and will wear yourself out real quick.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Is it possible to change a couple of the zero degree holders out to 30 degree and use your straight butt rods...just have to have a safety line and be able to swing the boat
I thought of that but it doesn't seem like the best alternative, two new 30 degree rod holders would be $300 plus the hassle of installation and then I'd have the but end of the holder protruding out into the cockpit. And I'm guessing you wouldn't have the same quality of "swivel" as you would with a 0 degree and bent butts. Not sure if that matters, I've never fought a tuna or shark before.

The bent buts I have look like they are 30 degrees from the vertical. Is that sort of a "standard" angle? I see the Winthrop Adjusta Butts are pretty popular, is that just so you can set them to 0 when not in use, or is it because some people like to tweak the fighting angle from 30 degrees?

Codcruncher

Rear Admiral
Lite User

harpoon83

Captain
First Name
Colin
Should have said something earlier, I picked up a matching pair of 130 class bent butt rods when I bought a package of stuff from a member. I ended up splitting them up and selling at a price you would have loved.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Should have said something earlier, I picked up a matching pair of 130 class bent butt rods when I bought a package of stuff from a member. I ended up splitting them up and selling at a price you would have loved.
Nice, rub it in why don't you!

leaky

Admiral
Throw the rods out.

There are lots of older 80 and 130 class bent butt rods around, replaced with modern longer softer rods with huge Winthrop style guides like your reel easy setups, "Chatham special"s, etc etc. Everyone has upgraded in the past 5+ years and all that older stuff, which isn't always that old really, is worth very little - $200 for a 130 class bent butt with aftco Bigfoots - sometimes people just give them away at the marina. Everyone that tuna fishes has a few collecting dust someplace.

Just look around and buy a couple, but at least make sure they have the style of butt and ferrule that has been used in the past 30 years :) - then if you ever want to upgrade rod tops you can. Maybe put up a post here - I guarantee people have them.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
I know i have one and maybe 2. There yours if you pick them up.

The first time you hook up you will see (and hear) why you want solid rod holders.
I will keep you in mind when we get some ice and the smelts run!

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Throw the rods out.

There are lots of older 80 and 130 class bent butt rods around, replaced with modern longer softer rods with huge Winthrop style guides like your reel easy setups, "Chatham special"s, etc etc. Everyone has upgraded in the past 5+ years and all that older stuff, which isn't always that old really, is worth very little - $200 for a 130 class bent butt with aftco Bigfoots - sometimes people just give them away at the marina. Everyone that tuna fishes has a few collecting dust someplace.

Just look around and buy a couple, but at least make sure they have the style of butt and ferrule that has been used in the past 30 years :) - then if you ever want to upgrade rod tops you can. Maybe put up a post here - I guarantee people have them.
So say I get some suitable rods from ridiculously charitable forum members, how would you recommend spooling up these reels? I think the 12/0's hold about 900 yards of 100lb mono. How should I rig it, from bare spool to hook?

Underdog11

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
32 Holland,

leaky

Admiral
So say I get some suitable rods from ridiculously charitable forum members, how would you recommend spooling up these reels? I think the 12/0's hold about 900 yards of 100lb mono. How should I rig it, from bare spool to hook?

Since I know you are on a budget and this is light use, go on Ebay and find some bulk spools of 130# - anything that should be decent but budget friendly.

It may be close but I feel you will get about 1200 yards on a spool and that is just about right to spool 2 12/0s. I have a line counter you can borrow if you want to measure.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Since I know you are on a budget and this is light use, go on Ebay and find some bulk spools of 130# - anything that should be decent but budget friendly.

It may be close but I feel you will get about 1200 yards on a spool and that is just about right to spool 2 12/0s. I have a line counter you can borrow if you want to measure.
I got an ebay deal on some 130lb mono. What do you recommend for terminal set up from 130 mono? knot or crimp to what size swivel to how long of a floro leader? What lb floro? Thanks

c1steve

Captain
Ebay mono? I would be extremely cautious. It may break easily at the knot. I mostly use Izorline First String, and it is EXCELLENT. L-P should also be excellent, if you need to go over 130 lbs.

$110 will get you 1,640 yards of 130 lbs. $60 will get you 820 yards.

MAArcher

Rear Admiral
Ebay mono? I would be extremely cautious. It may break easily at the knot. I mostly use Izorline First String, and it is EXCELLENT. L-P should also be excellent, if you need to go over 130 lbs.

$110 will get you 1,640 yards of 130 lbs. $60 will get you 820 yards.
It wasn't a no name brand, it was just a good deal on Berkley ProSpec Chrome, I think it was $175 for 2k yard spool. And it was orange which is nice because I have a real hard time seeing my lines from the helm. Izorline seems like a even better value though. Next time.

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
It wasn't a no name brand, it was just a good deal on Berkley ProSpec Chrome, I think it was $175 for 2k yard spool. And it was orange which is nice because I have a real hard time seeing my lines from the helm. Izorline seems like a even better value though. Next time.
Are you using this for giants?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom