Iveco NEF 450

Fvdestiny

1st Mate
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
For anyone considering Iveco for their Main power or repower, I want to say that I understand your concern. When we first found the 38 Northern Bay ,I was very skeptical when the power was an Iveco. Service, parts, etc. After 4 years running and finally getting wheel dialed in with Peter's help, I can give you the facts, post dialing wheel and adding 1.5 inches off throw to trim tabs.( for those that say downeasts boats don't need trim tabs well I can't speak for everyone but) they made a huge difference for me. I thought the Iveco was efficient before but since taking 2 inches of pitch out and adding trim tab throw, performance has gotten much better.Note that this boat is fully loaded. Engine runs even quieter
New consistent cruise speed of 18 knots @ 14 gph,,drop down 100 rpms to 16.5-17 knots @ 12 gph. These are real numbers and the speed is more consistent because the boats running more level than before and more efficient because engine running with much less load. I am not an engineer but I trusted Peter with his knowledge of the engine. His availability and accuracy for answering questions was spot on and I appreciate that. I feel much better today and more confident about this whole setup. I thought I was running cheap before , when I would steam out Georges , fish for 2-3 days and steam back at 14-18 knots depending on conditions and burn only 275 gallons. I am looking forward to keeping more money in the checkbook this year . Running the #s it looks like I might be able to do the trip on close to 200 gallons ,again depending on conditions . That math works for me. And Peter has been developing the dealer and service network and returns my call same day, this goes a long way with me. If anyone considering iveco that might have any questions, I'll make myself available to answer any questions, as I was a skeptic once ,but not anymore..

IMG_0621.jpg

Last edited:

FPTMarineDiesel

Commodore
For anyone considering Iveco for their Main power or repower, I want to say that I understand your concern. When we first found the 38 Northern Bay ,I was very skeptical when the power was an Iveco. Service, parts, etc. After 4 years running and finally getting wheel dialed in with Peter's help, I can give you the facts, post dialing wheel and adding 1.5 inches off throw to trim tabs.( for those that say downeasts boats don't need trim tabs well I can't speak for everyone but) they made a huge difference for me. I thought the Iveco was efficient before but since taking 2 inches of pitch out and adding trim tab throw, performance has gotten much better.Note that this boat is fully loaded. Engine runs even quieter
New consistent cruise speed of 18 knots @ 14 gph,,drop down 100 rpms to 16.5-17 knots @ 12 gph. These are real numbers and the speed is more consistent because the boats running more level than before and more efficient because engine running with much less load. I am not an engineer but I trusted Peter with his knowledge of the engine. His availability and accuracy for answering questions was spot on and I appreciate that. I feel much better today and more confident about this whole setup. I thought I was running cheap before , when I would steam out Georges , fish for 2-3 days and steam back at 14-18 knots depending on conditions and burn only 275 gallons. I am looking forward to keeping more money in the checkbook this year . Running the #s it looks like I might be able to do the trip on close to 200 gallons ,again depending on conditions . That math works for me. And Peter has been developing the dealer and service network and returns my call same day, this goes a long way with me. If anyone considering iveco that might have any questions, I'll make myself available to answer any questions, as I was a skeptic once ,but not anymore..
Thank you very much Mike for the kind words! It is truly a pleasure to be of assistance to anyone that is an owner of an FPT/Ivecomotors product. I will continue to be available if and or when it may be necessary to continue to grow the foot print in the market for this product. I truly believe in this FPT product as I have my own blood, sweat, and sleepless nights in working on it, supporting it and developing parts of it, it is a part of me now, I take it personal it is that much a part of me. :)!

Blacktide

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Hey Mike you might be getting down to my numbers there on a Georges trip!

I never found that the tabs did much good for me on the NB36. Let me know how you and when you use them.

Fvdestiny

1st Mate
Website
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
I was able to add more throw by changing location of where the tab itself is attached to the actuator. By adding more throw the boat flattens out quick and runs flatter throughout the rpm curve. Also by taking the recommended pitch out of wheel and taking additional load off engine ( by the way I understood this, but was skeptical that I would not be able to maintain speed) I not only picked up speed a speed a bit ,but speed was more consistent, and fuel burn went down dramatically. What I mean here is prior to changes, the sea condition would affect consistency of the boat speed and fuel needed to get over the top.( Ie: running along in 3-4 footers ,the boat would naturally want to be held back by the sea.Now with the boat trimmed out much more the boat pushes through the water and although wetter, the ride and speed become much more consistent. As you know the Northern Bay might not be the best head sea boat due to forefoot being cut back ,but down sea it is a beast. The only time I really have to change location of tabs from totally down to maybe down halfway is down sea as the bow would want to bury come off the face in heavy down sea conditions. Blacktide , I would see if you can change location location of where trim tab is attached to actuator. BTW Prior to putting tabs on mine ,I had experienced them on Ronnies boat Jamies Toy 38 NB and the differences they made for him,,to give credit to him 1st.

Blacktide

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Thanks for the reply. I see what you are saying,it works more so in the head sea keeping the bow down. I will have to play around with them more. The ones I have are rescessed in the hull. So you are suggesting I put them on the lower holes to get them down more?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Mike what tabs did you use? Like Ronnie's or standard tabs?

lobstercatcher

Admiral
As you know the Northern Bay might not be the best head sea boat due to forefoot being cut back ,but down sea it is a beast.

I didn't know that:confused::confused::confused: Which downeasters would be better? Or are you saying... A NB38 isn't the best.. its #2 out of every downeaster???? How tall of are the waves are you talking? Maybe I haven't been out in what you are talking about yet? I been out in worse than my Duffy and the NB38 is way better than that due to the size.

Fvdestiny

1st Mate
Website
Boat Make
I have recessed home made / with lento controls. Just modified where the actuator attaches to the tab so tab go further down ..It makes a huge difference.Lobster catcher, most down east boats keels start right at the forefoot . The NB 38 forefoot is pushed back which is why when going down sea the boat doesnt veer to one side or the other , pretty much goes straight. In a head sea ,it's not bad but if the seas are 4-6 ft and tightly stacked the boat ( pre trim tabs) would get launched and land hard. Now with tabs down the boat drives bow down into the sea which is far more comfortable and efficient. The boat is light as well. It took awhile to get balance weight wise ,prop pitch ,trim etc. But I think we've got it. Oh and as for what's better . I 'll take what I've got for all around ride,speed,efficiency etc. But if I was going into a good head sea i'd probably choose 37 or 42 duffy in this boat range as a better head sea boat.

Last edited:

lobstercatcher

Admiral
I have recessed home made / with lento controls. Just modified where the actuator attaches to the tab so tab go further down ..It makes a huge difference.Lobster catcher, most down east boats keels start right at the forefoot . The NB 38 forefoot is pushed back which is why when going down sea the boat doesnt veer to one side or the other , pretty much goes straight. In a head sea ,it's not bad but if the seas are 4-6 ft and tightly stacked the boat ( pre trim tabs) would get launched and land hard. Now with tabs down the boat drives bow down into the sea which is far more comfortable and efficient. The boat is light as well. It took awhile to get balance weight wise ,prop pitch ,trim etc. But I think we've got it. Oh and as for what's better . I 'll take what I've got for all around ride,speed,efficiency etc. But if I was going into a good head sea i'd probably choose 37 or 42 duffy in this boat range as a better head sea boat.

I see what you are saying. I guess I counteract launching by speed control. I go the speed comfortable for the condition opposed to what you are doing. I don't care to plow through. To me that is worse.

allanedshaw

Deckhand
hi I'm looking for a 450 hp motor for a new build I like the look of the nef 450 6.7 L just have a few questions

how many L per hour would it use at 1200 rpm
what type of instrument panel does it come with does it give you current fuel usage is there a digital dash available
is it nema 2000 compatable
cheers allan

FPTMarineDiesel

Commodore
Hello Allan,

3-4 gallons per hour @ 1200 rpm or 9-12 l/h, but surely depends on how the hull efficiency is, how it is geared and propeller efficiency at that speed. I am sure that Mike could tell you, he has the old digital panel I believe and it reads out in l/h.

Yes, it comes with a standard Teleflex panel display that has digital read out for fuel consumption. The standard panel is not NEMA2000 ready. The new Delux digital panel is NEMA 2000 ready but is expensive, nice but expensive.

Regards,

Peter

IMG_6396.jpg

allanedshaw

Deckhand
thanks for that one last thing what is the price difference between the nef 450 450 hp and the net 560 B spec 450 hp

FPTMarineDiesel

Commodore
thanks for that one last thing what is the price difference between the nef 450 450 hp and the net 560 B spec 450 hp
It is pretty significant, we have some stock on the Tier 2 NEF 450 6.7L and you can get one for about 4-5k less in price due to the emissions, development and hardware differences. The Tier 3 NEF 570 B rating is in production now and will be on the water to our facility middle of this month, but they are all spoken for, you would have to order one. The Tier 2 NEF 450 comes with the standard Teleflex display posted above. Send me an e-mail to [email protected] if you want a quote on either engine. Thanks.

Top Bottom