J12 restoration

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Have been waiting for the registration numbers in the mail, I got them today and flipped over the boat back on to the trailer. Going to cape this week to get some work done on the boat that I mate on and do rigging. Have a friend meeting me there to give me the drill bit for my rod holders. 1716C639-3C21-4E3C-85B0-1FF9F417DADB.jpeg

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Whatever motor you put on it, please bolt it through. Ask me how I know
lol will do. I was at a sailing camp like 4 years ago and one of the skiffs was going to rescue people and the engine fell right off, luckily was in fresh water and in like 5 feet of water and they could rescue it.

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Have not made much progress recently with working on gear and bass fishing. But welded a trailer jack on to the trailer, and loaded up the boat and tested the engine. Made the marks for where the rod holders and cleats are going to go.

Going to shop tomorrow to get new flairs, drain plugs, and oil to mix with gas. Boat should be all ready to go in water by Wednesday afternoon.

8D4A193D-6FB4-43EF-9EB5-7CDE4C46A69B.jpeg
5BB6A4BB-4EF7-41CD-8213-5F08075B1475.jpeg

Greasemonkeytuna

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Henry
Boat Make
Edgewater
Might I suggest your putting grab rails on the stern gunnels. If you happen to take a sharp turn, the chines on the Carolina skiffs are known to grab and can send you overboard, especially with the seats level with the gunnels. My boys called them the "oh, sh** rails!" Don't need too much length, but something to hold on to, not if, but when necessary.

Something like this: search - search results - Wholesale Marine
I was sent off of a J14 last august. One of the scarier things that has happened to me on the water. Handles are definitely a must

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Sense the bass got here I have not done much until last night. I have all the ms stickers on. Went to test engine last night and had a broken fuel hose going to the fuel filter. Ordered the part last night. Got out the back up engine which is the same engine just a few years newer. Just added grease and my Cusin is going to pick me up new spark plugs and hopefully I will be in the water later on tonight or tommorw afternoon.

These are old spark plugs the inside looked fine but that rust dose not look good and it is like 10$ for the new ones.
D14419F7-651E-45C4-BB07-74A705EFE8E7.jpeg

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Fired up on the third pull with the new spark plugs. Should be in water tomorrow and then whenever I get the new rod holders I will pull the boat or just work on it in the water. I don’t remember if I posted this but my uncle who gave me the boat dose not want me to drill through the bench so I am adding 2 rod holders to the inside of the hull.

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Put in water today and killed the bass and not was running great. Until on the way in the engine fell off. It was just a trial run to make sure engine worked so I did not have the Through bolts in. I was able to pull the engine in before it got under water not really sure how I held on to the engine but I did. Got a tow back to the ramp where my uncle was waiting for me. We took out the spark plugs right away and pulled the pull cord a few times to make sure no water was in there. No water at all so put in water and it started and ran perfectly hopefully it will tomorrow.

8A1C054A-E3FE-47E1-9FAF-4288EB9777F2.jpeg

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Put in water again today and it started first pull. My cousin is out on it now and is going to pick me up later on to bass fish. Only think left for this season is the rod holders.

sc_slim

Ensign
Looks great and hope you enjoy the boat for a long time. Do us all a favor, though, should you not put the grab rails by the seat, please run lines from the bow to each stern cleat. Also, wear the kill switch. Greasemonkeytuna and I are not kidding about what can unexpectedly happen with the seats even with gunnels and chines catching. You can go overboard in an instant and consequences much worse than experience of motor falling off. It is a good skiff but you must be careful in the turns. Have fun and catchemup!

Top Bottom