Jarvis Newman 36 continuing updates

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Some more photos of progress to the Dragon Lady. I have asked Mast&Mallet to convert my fixed side side windows to split sliders, they should be done in another week or two with all of the upgrades that I planned before launch next month. The first photo is from this time last year, with the old decks, overhead and helm. Since then I have had the decks replaced and the over head fitted with Soundown. In the following photos I have installed a stereo, new wipers and a new helm station panel with electronics. I had M&M cover up my wiring and wiper motors. I also added a few before an after photos and more details of the total work done since last year in my album.

port side in progress.jpg

port side moving forward.jpg

port side outside.jpg

port side.jpg

stbd side outside.jpg

stbd side.jpg

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
New deck in the whole cockpit or just up forward? Wood?

Classic details, bronze everywhere and that deck is like the back 40. whats not to love.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
The 10ft aft of the pilothouse is the original 1-1/2" T&G fir deck with oak beams, all close grained, 42 years old, all just fine. Hated to redo the forward 8 ft but the hatches there were just too big and heavy for regular maintenance. There were a couple of places that were soft and needed replacement so I just had it all removed and redone for the sake of my old back and knees every time I needed to do a simple check in the engine room. The new deck is 3/4" ply, the hatches have a band of 3/4" solid mahogany with doug fir stiffeners and gutters all around, all of it coated in epoxy and painted. It should see me out.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Any thoughts about some gas shocks or linear actuators to lift them? Just a thought. Sure is nice to have help especially to hold them open.

Mine is 39x50 and 2 layers of 3/4 ply with angle irons and sound down on it.... I need a crane.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Any thoughts about some gas shocks or linear actuators to lift them? Just a thought. Sure is nice to have help especially to hold them open.

Mine is 39x50 and 2 layers of 3/4 ply with angle irons and sound down on it.... I need a crane.
I put some gas spring lifts on the starboard side last fall and they worked well, just never got around to putting them on the port side, which I plan to do this spring.

Got mine direct from the manufacturer, Harco out of PA. They ship quickly and are the least expensive that I have found, some by a couple of bucks others by quite a bit. They have not reached the 21st century with complete communication about when and how they ship but they do send an email that they got your order and then product just shows up, within a couple of days.

The stainless steel brackets were only $2.50 each, similar to the cost of the ferrous metal ones.

B1-S flat bracket HARCO_PARTS_picture.jpg

Boat Make
Jarvis Newman 36
Looking good. You are doing a lot of work bringing this classic beauty back. Congrats. Spring is coming. Looking forward to more pics.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Plan is to splash on Monday

Going back in on Monday, plan to take her home later in the week or early next week. The side decks, wash deck and aft deck have been painted, changes to the vee berth are complete, the new side windows still need some hardware, the shower door needs some hardware modifications, the cabin floor below needs paint but the plan is to be in the water Monday afternoon, the boat next to me in the shop is getting painted so I need to be out of there. I am most anxious to run the engine and see how much quieter she is after changing the 1# Soundown on the deck hatches to 2#, adding Soundown to the overhead, and adding 1# Soundown to the side walls and back wall of the engine room.
Helm is ready for action.jpg

Helm is ready for action.jpg

side deck paint before.jpg

side deck paint.jpg

new shower.jpg

new shower floor.jpg

new 2 lb Soundown.jpg

Top Bottom