Jog steering problem.

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by ARC, Nov 25, 2018.

1. ARC

ARC Senior Member

A846CB8F-5357-4E92-8347-F726AC151296.jpeg As some of you know I recently installed jog steering in my Eastern. I used a type 2 piston pump. It has adjustable output. I finally finished the installation and have a small problem. I primed the system and definitely do not have any air in the system. The wheel makes my 5.5 revolutions with no soft spots just like it did before the pump was installed. The pump is definitely primed with no air in the system. The pump however chatters on startup and pumps slow. After a few cycles it performs perfect and quiet. Next time out it acts the same way. I do notice it is either better or worse if I move the wheel slightly. This is not and air or leaking fitting problem. I replumbed the entire system and still have the same problem. The pump on the bench is 100% I think the SeaStar helm is the issue but do not know for sure. Can my pump be too close to the helm?

ARC,
  2. Captinlon

Captinlon Senior Member

Boat Make:
    32 H & H
    don't know where your located. but have you considered temperature.. I know my hydros don't like the cold till they warm up a bit.

3. ARC

ARC Senior Member

Yes i’m North. But the cabin temp is a steady 65. I just did a bit of playing around and found by turning the wheel a bit it gets better or worse. The chattering is definitely in the helm and not the pump itself

ARC,
  4. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    Sounds like it pushing oil back against the helm, and the helm doesn't like it. Maybe you could put some check valves in the lines from the helm to the tee's.

Fishonnelsons likes this.
  5. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    I replaced my rear helm ‘pump’, whatever it’s called that the wheel locks onto on top and the four hydraulic lines on the bottom. Exact same pump, or so I thought. ALOT of chatter, wheel took on a life of its own. Turns out old pump, 17 years, had internal check valves, new superseding pump had no check valves, so check valves needed to be installed.

6. ARC

ARC Senior Member

I'm starting to think this is my problem. when I remove the helm from the system , problem went away. now I need to find out what type of check valves I need

ARC,