John deer diesel mechanic in Ma

Mvywheels

Commander
Boat Make
RI Marine
A 1996 6076 300hp 6 cylinder, hasn't been started in 5 yrs she looks good an the test were good. It's the original engine that was put in during the build, but I don't want to take any chances since ill b fishing way out in area 2.

image.jpg

riskybusiness

Commander
Boat Make
35 five islands
how many hours are on it? man if it runs fine I don't think I'd jump right on rebuilding it. maybe just yank it out and re paint and re hose it. the Volvo in my last boat hadn't been started in 3 or 4 years I just changed out a couple rusted oil lines and away we went... those mechanical deeres are pretty bombproof. one of the guys at my familys wharf just rebuilt his 300 mechanical it had 18k hours on it. looked like dog shit and sounded like a popcorn machine on startup. they took it apart and come to find out the internals were only halfway worn out and she could have gone another 18k without much chance of a problem. just starting it hold the killswitch while spinning it over to prelube it where its sat that long. run a couple oil changes on it right away and check it over and you might be good to go....
A 1996 6076 300hp 6 cylinder, hasn't been started in 5 yrs she looks good an the test were good. It's the original engine that was put in during the build, but I don't want to take any chances since ill b fishing way out in area 2.

sailor of fortune

Rear Admiral
First Name
Jack
Boat Make
2 Home made skiffs
how many hours are on it? man if it runs fine I don't think I'd jump right on rebuilding it. maybe just yank it out and re paint and re hose it. the Volvo in my last boat hadn't been started in 3 or 4 years I just changed out a couple rusted oil lines and away we went... those mechanical deeres are pretty bombproof. one of the guys at my familys wharf just rebuilt his 300 mechanical it had 18k hours on it. looked like dog shit and sounded like a popcorn machine on startup. they took it apart and come to find out the internals were only halfway worn out and she could have gone another 18k without much chance of a problem. just starting it hold the killswitch while spinning it over to prelube it where its sat that long. run a couple oil changes on it right away and check it over and you might be good to go....
I agree.
I saw that boat hauled out at Fairhaven Shipyard a year and a half ago. Has it been sitting on the hard ever since? It is a nice rig!!

Mvywheels

Commander
Boat Make
RI Marine
I believe 10k ill double check, but my cousin is a heavy machine mechanic he said almost just about the same thing you did so b4 I get into the rebuild I'll give that a go.

Mvywheels

Commander
Boat Make
RI Marine
I agree.
I saw that boat hauled out at Fairhaven Shipyard a year and a half ago. Has it been sitting on the hard ever since? It is a nice rig!!

Yup high and dry, she's in great shape not really to much work IMO a lil bottom paint a new prop an keel cooler couple other odds and ends. Not to fond of the name tho (sea horse)

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom