John Deere spare parts??

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
So what spares should i have for my 6068 John Deere. I have impellers, fuel & oil filters and a belt. Anything else?? I had a lot of spares on board for my Volvo but i don't know much about the JD's. While we're at it do i need anything for the hydraulic steering?? I have hose menders for the hydraulic lines (1/2" & 3/4"), a can of bolts,washers and screws of different sizes and lengths. A can of pot nails(remember them?) and stainless wire, extra oil, hydro fluid and antifreeze.

Last edited:

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
Make sure your coolant has the right amount of DCA additive,fleetgaurd has test strips,or use the newer red coolant that is premixed.Note,if using premized,system must be flushed clean of green anti freeze.The 6.8 Deeres will start having liner trouble around 6000 hrs if the coolant isnt conditioned.iIf you have a serpentine belt,bearings for the idlers could come in handy.Great engine that stars good in cold weather.

CaptDave

Captain
Boat Make
31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
Have had the 6076 (300) and it is a 1999 with about 4200 hours. Have had a top end overhaul, new injectors, and the typical maintenance and wear and tear that goes with an engine. I agree on the coolant and overall I think you will find it a very reliable engine. I just keep the standard parts on board, impeller, belt, oil filters and fuel filters. Good luck with her

Dave

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
If your Hyd syst pump does steering and the equipment, I would have a manual tiller arm built so that you can access the rudder post and put it on to steer home in case of a catastrophic hyd failure far from home in your remote but beautiful land.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Make sure your coolant has the right amount of DCA additive,fleetgaurd has test strips,or use the newer red coolant that is premixed.Note,if using premized,system must be flushed clean of green anti freeze.The 6.8 Deeres will start having liner trouble around 6000 hrs if the coolant isnt conditioned.iIf you have a serpentine belt,bearings for the idlers could come in handy.Great engine that stars good in cold weather.
Thanks for that, i use the additive in my powerstroke diesel truck so i'll check the boat if the snow ever melts around here and i get to work on things. The JD only has just under 900 hours on it now. I'll pick up some of the bearings also.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
If your Hyd syst pump does steering and the equipment, I would have a manual tiller arm built so that you can access the rudder post and put it on to steer home in case of a catastrophic hyd failure far from home in your remote but beautiful land.
I thought about that also just have to fab it up. Thanks and i'm glad i posted this lots of good advise. It really hit me while fishing last year with the new rig that i didn't have to many spare parts on the boat and sometimes i never saw another boat for 3 or 4 days.

Pedlyr

Captain
Usually the things I fix on our Deere generators are:

Belts
Idlers
Raw water pump
Coolant Pump
Alternator
Aux fuel pump
Injector pump

One of our newer 6068's has a Basler control panel on it. If you get water in the fuel, there is sensor for detecting it that screws into the bottom of the primary (engine) fuel filter. This sensor can get ruined by water (makes sense, eh). Then the control panel shuts down the engine. If you have something this it might be wise to have a sensor or two onboard

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Usually the things I fix on our Deere generators are:

Belts
Idlers
Raw water pump
Coolant Pump
Alternator
Aux fuel pump
Injector pump

One of our newer 6068's has a Basler control panel on it. If you get water in the fuel, there is sensor for detecting it that screws into the bottom of the primary (engine) fuel filter. This sensor can get ruined by water (makes sense, eh). Then the control panel shuts down the engine. If you have something this it might be wise to have a sensor or two onboard
Just a big racor on my rig. I am planning on adding a water probe and dash gauge/alarm to the racor so if i get a big slug of water in the fuel the alarm will sound and save the injectors.

Fvdestiny

Commander
Website
www.destinyfishingscharters.com
Boat Make
38 northern bay green stick boat/30 Calvin beal tuna boat/20 Seacraft Master Angler
I have 3200'hours on my 6068 in the south shore I always care spare everything for all my boats. I keep maintenance schedule and records on all boats and never miss each scheduled preventive maintenance on each boat and my 6068 in the shore has never needed a thing while at sea. I have broken hydraulic hoses and it's nice to be able replace them cause you have the spare parts. Impellers,hoses,belts,extra oil,coolant,hydraulic fluid,,some heavy duty tape ,zips ties,hose clamps ,cap nuts for hydraulic lines of all sizes..if you have everything ,nothing will break. The engine is a beast,if you take care of it ,it will take care of you. Sorry for long response.

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Hey Steve, just happened to see this on commercial salmon trolling site"

Anyone that has a 6068T John Deere needs to be aware of a 10 amp fuse located right by the starter connected to the wiring pigtails. Last summer I was running in and for no reason that I've been able to trace, my engine just suddenly died! Luckily I was just entering the anchorage so I coasted in and dropped my anchor. The next day I was shown the fuse by a friend of mine. It is the same blade type fuse used in cars. I now have a couple of packs of these fuses hanging on a string right by pigtail. No idea why this happened, and it hasn't happened again, but other people I've talked to have had this rarely happen. If you own a 6068T, I would locate that fuse so you know where it is in pinch."
Thanks Tom i'll dive into the boat tomorrow and find that pigtail and get some fuses hanging by it. Wonder how old that engine was? Mine has all kinds of plugs all over the wiring harness, wish i knew what they were all for? The manual that came with the engine does have some of that info but its still real confusing to me.
Doing any work on the new boat? are you going to run it up to NJ and where are you going to tie up if you do?
It snowed here all day saturday, maybe 3-4 inches, but its almost all melted off today still cold it was 15 this morning but got up to 40 or so during the day.

winterking

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Tom
Boat Make
26’ Duffy

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Hi Steve, I don't know what year that motor is, if you look up that website it's the first thread under troller talk. Sounds like spring is finally getting to Alaska! Haven't picked boat up yet, was thinking about running it up, not sure if I'm going to keep it in the water or yard. Wish I could get it to AK this year but just not gonna happen. Can't wait to get it home though! I'll post some picks as soon as I do.
Tom
Spring is coming slowly thats for sure. If your thinking about leaving the boat in the water i've still got friends on shark river.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Just a big racor on my rig. I am planning on adding a water probe and dash gauge/alarm to the racor so if i get a big slug of water in the fuel the alarm will sound and save the injectors.
Steve,
on fuel filtration, you could bolt on a big "mud filter" between your Racor and the fuel tank. Gives you some more protection if fuel quality an isssue up there .

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks again everyone i'm putting together a list for the spares i'll have. The fuel here isn't all that bad but you never know, the only time i had a lot of water was from a deck tank on one of the tenders i delivered fish to, if i get fuel at the fuel dock its usually good.
Tom i looked at my engine and didn't find any fuse by the starter just a lot of test plugs? on the ends of the wiring harness for the engine, i will take a closer look when i get more time. Are you going to come up and fish your permit?

Top Bottom