First Name
Brian
Boat Make
35 Duffy

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
TLD's are a good bang for your buck! Use the money you save to put on some braid for line!:D

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I have been watching these 50W-80W reels on alibaba.. basically all stuff made in china.. I know its china but the prices but I have read a few things on different forums and you are only talking I think $2-300 for an 80W.. problem is we need 10-12 guys to buy one as the lowest minimum I have seen is 10 and 12 reels..lemme know.. I got the balls ( or stupidity) to buy 1 or 2
80W BIG GAME EXTREME SPORTS SALTWATER TROLLING FISHING REEL products, buy 80W BIG GAME EXTREME SPORTS SALTWATER TROLLING FISHING REEL products from alibaba.com

offshore31

Captain
forget that china crap. look for some used ones at local tackle stores on consignment. there's plenty of clean ones around. also look for big box stores that sell tackle and want to unload them. i got my favorite penn 50t (not a w) which has killed plenty of yellows, sbft's and shark from herman's ~24 yrs ago. remember them? they were dropping the gold penns and i got it new for a steal because they were dropping the high end gear. Same with one of my 130s, got it from sports authority. it had been on the shelf for a year and i offered them 200 < price and they sold it to me.

keep an eye out, craigs list, box stores, tackle stores consignment and you'll find something decent.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
Last edited:

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
thought Penns were now made in mexico? rumor or true?

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
just did a bit more reading.. looks like the whole penn class of reeks besides the internationals have moved to china.... and most if not all the parts for the internationals are made over seas now..check my facts ..google "penn reels made in china" you will see that alot of these reel gurus know what is being made where...I might be wrong but I know that the PA penn plant closed a while ago.

offshore31

Captain
Bill, you're probably right. I'd have to check, but my newest penn is probably somewhere around the 90s? So i've got lots of 'older' reals, but i keep them clean and maintained, and they work great. most i've bought used because of money, but I've lucked into some new ones too. however i bought most used because i like the older ones. kinda like the owner :)

duxbait

Captain
the new penns suck. the tiagras and tlds are awesome. best choice is probably to find the used old penns. they last forever. make sure the drag is still good if you do buy a used reel

offshore31

Captain
BTW, love the site. just waiting to sell my sportfish so i can move into a DE. So looking for all the info i can get from those on board.

Relentless

Ensign
Your best bet is to go on craigslist and try and get a good deal on a pair of used Penn Int'l 50's or Shimano TLDs if your not so sure that you'll get into it, a harness and fighting belt, and get the reels spooled up with 80lb test mono (mono is much better for people just starting out it has far more forgiveness and stretch, and is beyond capable of taking a 200 pounder) For a beginner this is the way to go, the stuff isn't always cheap but nowadays with everyone jumping up to 80's and 130's to go after only giants, used Penn int'l 50's are relatively cheap (close to the price of a brand new TLD 50) and the reels will last forever. This is where to start if you want to seriously start going after the tuna. Then get a couple of 130-lb Flouro carbon rigs with 8/0 to 10/0 hooks and live poagies or mackerel and tie a balloon above the top of the rig above the swivel and hook the poagies through the eyes, put the drag somewhere around halfway between free spool and full and wait.... Any more questions feel free to send me a message.

Best of Luck, Charlie.

PS- There are a an INFINITE number of ways to catch tuna this is the best way to start out. For anyone who is going to say that you need 80s, 130s, harpoons, squid bars, ect. OR casting sluggo's... you'll be wasting your time and money casting sluggos.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make

Bpd92

Commander
Lite User
First Name
Brian
Boat Make
35 Duffy

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Ya no I hear you.. me and 2 buddies at work bought 3, 130 set ups last spring for $600/combo off some guy on craigslist.. there is always someone selling them

SORTIE

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Tripp 22 Angler
Capt Des of the Celtic Quest charter operation (Port Jeff, L.I.) actively seeks donations of older Penn reels for his vessels. Why? He'd rather service an old American Penn reel than buy crappy Chinee equipment, even for the googins

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
BTW, love the site. just waiting to sell my sportfish so i can move into a DE. So looking for all the info i can get from those on board.
Sounds good buddy.. ya lots of knowledge on this board now.. I havent seen any questions go un answered..what size you thinking? and what do you have now?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
Last edited:

offshore31

Captain
Sounds good buddy.. ya lots of knowledge on this board now.. I havent seen any questions go un answered..what size you thinking? and what do you have now?
i've got a 32 blackfin flybridge. great boat, but lost my crew (college, etc) and I can't run it alone. that boat's an animal, runs in anything, eats up following seas like nothing i've ever been on.

had a real bad experience in a bad following sea on another boat i had, so following sea handling is very important to me. next on my wish list is being able to run it alone (thus my question). i was thinking small because of that, but it sounds like lots of guys are able to run good sized DE's alone with no problem. I tuna fish, so stern controls and being able to get off the hook is important. i could probably do it with a bridle setup like (i think it was) SteveinAK uses. So I'll probably stick to something 24-32'. My last wish list item would be reasonable speed, 18-19kts, but with decent fuel economy. In other words i don't want to have to put tons of hp into the hull to get the speed.

i don't know if it exists, but something 28-32', that cruises 18kts and burns 8-9gph at cruise (or less) and handles following seas well would be perfect. fuel's only going to get more expensive, and that's going to drive much of the day to day running cost.

love to hear anyones thoughts
thanks
Joe

Top Bottom