just @#$% venting.....

greg

Captain
Ok, so today I pull water pump and replaced the impeller. I was able to do that in record time. Everything just came apart. I'm thinking I can even get the coolant flushed.

$%^& water pump won't line up to go back in. Why do they have to design them to be so friggin hard to maintain? It's not like the impeller never needs replacement, or engines never get installed in boats.

I pull the pump because it is impossible to get the impeller out with the pump in place.

The keyed splines are very fine, and have to line up perfectly before you can slide it back in place. Unfortunately you need three hands and an antigrav ray to make that happen.

Going on three hours and two breaks. I may just leave it till morning if the next try fails.

Ughhhhh. And I have VERY good access to the front of the engine.

There. That feels better.

So, what drives you batshite about your engine config?

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

greg

Captain
Do you have an impeller puller? Won't help now but may save removing the pump next time.

I do. There is no room to use it while the pump is on the engine. You run into the raw water chiller.

The ever helpful yanmar service manual shows a picture of a dude on a workbench using two screwdrivers to do it. That won't work either.

I got the impeller off in about 5 minutes once the pump was out. But there just isn't any room to do it on the engine.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
<---- Spend's a lifetime working on things that could be engineered better.

Just like the 3-way hose on a Volvo TAMD41PA, connects heat exchanger to exhaust manifold to t-stat block... Spend many a fine hours trying to make sure that was a solid connection...

greg

Captain
Yeah, I used to work with a guy who was in the marines in vietnam. He was an electronics tech on the helicopters.

The crews would occasionally kidnap him and force him to go on a night mission after a repair. It motivated him to do it right.

I think they should do that with engineers. If you design something you have to repair it in service, not on a bench stand somewhere.

And I am an engineer.

starrfish

Commander
Boat Make
35 duffy
how come the guys that design crap, dont ever have to work on it?
some parts i swear they hang from a string, build the motor around it... then cut the string when their done!
and your right, the manuals always show the thing in a vise.. pretty funny..
not the actual, lying on your side, with something soaking your sleeve, and a hose clamp end digging into your back !!

Hooper

Captain
FINALLhY got the #$%^. i stepped away, came back and it went right in.

I hate that!

Had to laugh at this, my wife is my biggest ally usually when my frustration is boiling over, she'll say "Maybe you need to take a drive, get a cup of coffee and come back to it later..." Always works too

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
Had a yanmar was a pain to pull impeller. Some tricks to use. spray olive oil(Spray can cooking oil) in there tern her over a few times.Let it sit a while. use right angle large needle nose to grab impeller and a 1x1 hardwood stick to lever against pliers. Some modify puller by welding a nut on thread and using a flat ratchet wrench.

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
<---- Spend's a lifetime working on things that could be engineered better.

Just like the 3-way hose on a Volvo TAMD41PA, connects heat exchanger to exhaust manifold to t-stat block... Spend many a fine hours trying to make sure that was a solid connection...

That piece of shit hose used to shrink every winter and a lot of my antifreeze would dribble out, freaked me out first couple of years and i tried to fix it but still leaked so i left it alone, when it warmed up leak would stop and all was good. Only thing worse were the square sided o rings volvo used on the 41 A's. Its all volvo junk.

jwalka51

Captain
Boat Make
26' Webber Cove lobster boat.
I looked long and hard at engines when I was getting ready to re power my boat. And I came to the conclusion that yantra was at the bottom of my list. Those things look like a f#%king nightmare to maintain. Goog luck with it.

Stinkpot

Commander
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
Got the same Yanmar engine. What a major pain in the ASS that water pump is to get to. I usually pop a few blood vessels in my head every time I pull the cover off that pump. I have to lie on my stomach across the engine with my head hanging down the port side and reach way up underneath with a tiny ratchet and remove the six bolts. Three I can see, the other three are by feel only.

I borrowed a 'modified' impuller from my marina mechanic to get the impeller out. Basically the impuller was ground down here & there to fit the tight spaces - worked great.

I'd like to shove the engine designer down in the bilge, put the hatches back on and let him show me how it's done...

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
if it makes you feel better i have to pull my heat exchanger in order to get my starter out. if the starter ever fails again im going to pull the whole engine and put a sisu in it...

Why a SISU? does SISU make a "quick disconnect" starter? :rolleyes:

Back to engineering on these engines. Every manufacturer has their quirks on "getting things apart" and "back together" on these engines.

Add this to the fact that MOST engines in boats are "shoe horn" installs !.....and that's another topic !

Bottom line...none of these engines are really easy to work on in a boat.

offshore31

Captain
Traditions, i did the same and it works good. But what really helped it slide in easier was a generous covering of dish washing soap. slides right in.

Greg, i had the same problem with my cummins. spent many hours hanging upside down trying to get the outboard impeller replaced on my old blackfin. hard to get the key, and impeller in hanging upside down. had to walk away more than once to keep me from taking a torch to it. learned a few tricks tho which eventually made it easier. most important one was to get a DE so i only had 1 engine to swear at ;)

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
You just need bigger engine rooms ;)

index_007.jpg

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
yep. enough room for 2 grown men to work without any bleeding or swearing lol. The photo actually doesnt do it justice.

Top Bottom