Keeping colored hulls clean

Lcollins

Lieutenant
Looking for some input from folks with colored hulls.

I need to decide whether to go with traditional white gelcoat, or awlgrip for a new hull. I'm thinking black or Marlin blue if I go with awlgrip. Other than washing her down after any use, do I need to be aware of anything (to keep her clean)?

Thanks for your input/feedback.

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Larry every single mark, ding, scratch, seagull shit, scum on the waterline and every other thing that gets on the hull will show up like there is a spotlight on it. In all likelihood if you are a first time single screw/downeast boat owner and have any consistently challenging docking,fueling locations or the like it will not take long for your DARK colored hull to look beat up. That being said Awlgriping a hull white or any other lighter color would be great, its pretty tough to get gel-coat to shine like Awlgrip. I have had two black hulled downeasts and they do look great,in my opinion, but they show everything.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
What about the repair issue, to me the gelcoat is something I can easily repair. Granted color matching can take time. I have an awlgripped hull and need to do alot of work to it. Wet sanding goes a long way. How many years are you guys getting out of your awl gripped hulls?

Or do what I have, the 3'x12' side plating, lol

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
I agree with Plowin, plus consider the post curing issues you may have with a dark colored hull if proper steps where not taken when the hull was/is laid up. You could end up with a lot of print through from the additional heat and shrinkage. IMO white gel coat is by far the easiest to maintain, but I like colored hulls too.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Black hulls are easy to maintain

sharpies.jpg

And for those big "oops" moments

sharpie-magnum.jpg

Lcollins

Lieutenant
Thanks for the quick replies

Thank you for the replies. This is the input I was looking for.

I am struggling with this decision because like you, I love the look of the dark colored hulls. Maybe as (or more) importantly, so does my wife...and she is being incredibly supportive of me building a boat! But three or fours years out, I don't want the hull looking 10 years old. I never had a problem docking with my single screw outboard Parker, or twin screw Carolina Classic...but I'm sure it will take me a couple times to get used to it in a new, larger, single screw DE boat.

Maybe Sharpie will come out with a spray paint version.....

Thanks again guys for your feedback.

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
I owned a black hulled boat for 9 years, first few with gel coat the remaining with Awlgrip, I would do Awlgrip or Awlcraft in a heartbeat. Awlcraft is Awlgrip but easier to repair. Awlgrip with a clear coat is nearly impossible to color match a repair, best to use a magic marker and keep cruising.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I've done the magic marker trick a few times, even got a silver one for the truck it works so well.

I'll be buffing my hull this coming winter (if/when I have time) and she should come out of the shop looking like new. Higher grade gelcoats last better and can be touched up after neglect has set in than their less expensive counterparts.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Last edited:

captjohn

Captain
Boat Make
Henriques
I've got Awlgrip on my hull, about 7 years old. It's really tough and does not easily stain (boats docked under a tree, leaves all over it in the fall, but it cleans up easily). Cleaning the boat becomes an easy job, hosing down the boat probably gets 90% of the dirt off. A few things to beware of, yes, it's not easy to repair, but it doesn't scratch easy either. Beware of rust stain removers, they will dull the finish, but other than that nothing else seems to bother it. Also, keep it above the waterline, if it's too far down, in contact with the water, it can peel off in the area. Do not shrink wrap the boat, it will end up scratched by dirt between the wrap and the hull. If you do want to wrap the boat Awlgrip makes a covering material to put on first. Would I have a boat Awlgripped again, in a heart beat, it's great.

Lcollins

Lieutenant
Again, thank you for all the insight and advice. It looks like I'll be investing in some Sharpies!

There will be plenty more questions as I get closer to build beginning. Thanks again.

DBM

Commander
Lite User

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Anyone ever hear of using Penetrol to bring back old hulls? I know temporarily for a few pictures baby oil works great:)

Twice Ive heard the Penetrol bit in the past two weeks...

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I post his light heartedly, and don't want to offend anyone, but I just wanted to communicate an old saying that made me smile:
There are only two colors to paint a boat. White and black. And only a damn fool would paint his boat black. :)

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Anyone ever hear of using Penetrol to bring back old hulls? I know temporarily for a few pictures baby oil works great:)

Twice Ive heard the Penetrol bit in the past two weeks...[/QUOT

I have done it to an old Boston Whaler and it worked great, very easy to apply and let it dry. When it looks crummy again just put another coat on.
This trick has been around a long time, we used Penetrol a lot when we were painting wooden boats. It is good stuff.

OLD BAY

Captain
Lite User
First Name
Eric
Boat Make
Shelter Island 38
Top Bottom