keeping shaft and prop clean?

offshore31

Captain
just got done sanding/cleaning my shafts and props. there must be a better way How do you guys keep growth off of your shafts and props? any magic elixirs out there? Or is it just sand, etc?

thanks
Joe

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46, 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
To clean them just use Muratic acid and fresh water from the hose. Spray on the acid, drink a beer and hose off. Done and clean. I always a get a kick out of all the people sanding, grinding and scraping their running gear in the spring.
The best way to keep it clean is to use the boat.

offshore31

Captain
that was me today. do you put anything on before splashing to keep them clean?

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Seaway, Kinnamon, Carolina
Yo, Go for a swim once a month and while ur down there bring a plastic scraper and a scotchbrite pad. If U do not want to swim give someone a few brews to do it 4U. Done deal!;)Jo

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Bill,
Roger that!! When it's cold here I put on my dive gear and wetsuit if I have to clean my running gear or someone elses since I no longer have my 35 Duffy. Water that cool will take your breath away for sure.
I used to schedule my yearly haul in the winter and just swim the bottom occasionally the rest of the year to change zincs, and check things out down there. A diver would be cheaper than a haul out. Here they get about 100. to clean running gear and change zincs for you between hauls.
As far as a coating goes, I have no miracle cures to share.....Jo;)

Last edited:

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Bill,
Roger that!! When it's cold here I put on my dive gear and wetsuit if I have to clean my running gear or someone elses since I no longer have my 35 Duffy. Water that cool will take your breath away for sure.
I used to schedule my yearly haul in the winter and just swim the bottom occasionally the rest of the year to change zincs, and check things out down there. A diver would be cheaper than a haul out. Here they get about 100. to clean running gear and change zincs for you between hauls.
As far as a coating goes, I have no miracle cures to share.....Jo;)
I bought my 31 Blackfin from an owner in Delray Beach FL. Boat was in the water year round for 12 years. Divers cleaned the bottom.

I had the boat trucked back to MA. I recall spending a "considerable amount" of time cleaning the metal running gear!!! LOL

JoFishes

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
I guess I'm a bit more thourough than some. My crew used to refer to me as "anally meticulous".
It breaks my heart to sea my old 35 Duffy anymore. The guy I sold it to has totally TRASHED it. I saw it today in Port Canaveral:(Jo

Top Bottom