Kit Boats

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Here's a great overview of the kit boat process. Have you bought a bare bones hull and finished it? I know there are a couple of guys that have posted. Is the money savings in labor vs. having someone finish it off as great as it seems? Any real world numbers you'd be willing to share on kit price vs. final build price and number of hours to complete? Did you outsource mechanicals and wiring? The main thing is having a heated shop big enough to work in, tools, and obviously have some experience with fiberglassing.

The kit boat equation: a bare hull and a vision

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy

1998 prices, 35 Duffy kit with Airex closed cell foam hull, deck flange, Balsa top, and 6) 4x8x3/4 one sided gel coated balsa core sheets, engine and 2" shaft installed, 2) 150G fuel tank kits, was 36K. I started project in the spring doing the fuel tanks so heat was not a factor. It took me 3 months full time to fishable condition, many 18hrs days with around a total of 25 days worth of help from friends no cost. I had a 35% discount on all supplies including bronze prop from my marina which saved me at least 18K. Rudder was sourced out to a machinist, National marine hyd steering System single ram belt driven pump elect solenoid system, built and installed radar arch, installed rudder, simple rough wiring though complete bonding system, Ap11 auto pilot, and 0Hr left over 3208 320hp Cat engine, new 507 TD trans, I had 80k into it. At the time I think build quotes, similar to the stage I had were in the 175K price range. With new 450HP engine digital gauges 3 station control & TD 5075 trans, Nibril 26x26 prop, Tower, pulpit, new high end electronics, 500Hr used 5KW Northern lights gen with water sep system, 100 gal center tank, livewell tackle station, total complete rewiring with panel, seating and cushions, new radar arch and rod holders (material cost only), I would say I have another 100K cash and no idea how much labor time. Now add slip fees, maint, fuel and insurance since 98? Naw!!!! do not want to go there!! I will say GBFT fishing has offset quite a bit of the cost. I have a daughter who just finished 4 yrs undergrad and now 4 more yrs of Vet school, and 14yr old son still in the wings. Bottom line is if I was unable to do all the work myself with discounted supplies, great friends, I probably could not or would not morally afford this boat and would have a much smaller boat or better yet, be smart enough to fish on some one elses DE.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
To show you how $ has changed since tuna did his a 38nb hull/top motor installed, rails installed, rudder, fuel tank and composit deck system is just under 80k today. Hull/top alone is 46k. To have that boat finished is between 275 and 300 basic boat.

greg

Captain
When you say "to have that boat finished", I assume you mean the final cost to take the $80k kit and get it to water by doing the work yourself?

Or would that be the all in cost for a lobster boat finish done by a professional finisher?

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
That's a drive home finished boat. Nothing fancy. At least that's what I figure.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
That's a drive home finished boat. Nothing fancy. At least that's what I figure.

I think Mike is real close for a simple running boat but you know how that goes when you are building it will always creep up and I doubt 350 is far off.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
A big enough shop that is preferably heated, tools to perform all the building, finishing, and installing, TIME, cash, and building/fiberglassing knowledge are all required to finish a boat. That is why 99.99999% of boat owners cannot finish their own boat.

I personally know of guys who have very little (they think they have more than they really do) experience in boat building, who would have been time and money ahead just hiring someone to finish their boat. There are a lot of little tricks and ways of doing things that save both time, money, material, and weight that the inexperienced guy just doesn't know. So the inexperienced guy ends up buying more tools, more resin, more core material, more this, more that, than the professional experienced guy would have to buy. And then the inexperienced guy's boat weighs more, burns more fuel, isn't as well thought out, not as efficient, doesn't look as good, and in the end does not have the value.

For the .00001% of guys who have the skills, cash, TIME, and shop; those guys do save money. But what is your TIME worth? If you have a job, marriage, and children that you really like and want to keep, then maybe finishing a kit boat isn't your best option.

I think the best option for most guys who want to finish a portion of their own boat is to get a partially completed kit boat like the ones Stewart Workman of Calvin Beal boats offers. I would consider this a hybrid of sorts, and I'm sure any builder in Maine would offer something like this. I think Stewart is smart for lining out what you get and attaching a price to it for everyone to see. Wesmac does a similar thing on their website, and I think H&H does as well. But like I said, if you go visit any boat builder in Maine, they would sit down with you and get you a price for a partially finished kit boat.

Last edited:

greg

Captain
Finishing a kit boat is definitely NOT for me. For one thing, I live too far from the water and even getting to a highway would be a logistical nightmare.

But, more importantly, I have neither the time nor the skills. I could do finish carpentry, electonicsl, and some mechanical, but I doubt that would save me a whole lot. It would be like buying a house without interior woodwork or paint. ;)

I'm just fascinated by the process. I absolutely have a lot of respect for guys who bring home a shell and launch a yacht.

gmac

Captain
I looked at doing one, a H&H 29. I did a full spread sheet and spent quite a bite of time on what I estimate it would take to finish. I do have a shop, all equipment and some experience. My Dad has lots and was going to be the leader. I estimated 135k for kit and parts, no labor. Was 85k for kit and engine! And as always a project like this goes over VERY easily and think that # is conservative.
I know this is a 29 fter and everything jumps up allot in the bigger boats mentioned....

My .2$

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
The base components are the same. Just because an engine is going into a 29 footer instead of a 49 footer doesnt mean it costs less. The same goes for everything else, seacocks, bits, cleats, hose clamps, light bulbs, etc etc.
The only increase in costs are the hull and top unit and the material needed to bridge that gap, i.e. panels, fiberglass, resin, screws, putty, gelcoat, etc.

That's why it is probably in your best interest to go for the biggest boat you can afford, that way you won't out grow it as fast.

Just an opinion.

Powderpro

Vice Admiral
Website
www.oneilboats.com
Boat Make
O'Neil
The base components are the same. Just because an engine is going into a 29 footer instead of a 49 footer doesnt mean it costs less. The same goes for everything else, seacocks, bits, cleats, hose clamps, light bulbs, etc etc.
The only increase in costs are the hull and top unit and the material needed to bridge that gap, i.e. panels, fiberglass, resin, screws, putty, gelcoat, etc.

That's why it is probably in your best interest to go for the biggest boat you can afford, that way you won't out grow it as fast.

Just an opinion.

Words of wisdom.

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Thank you to all who have shared his experience and wisdom. I think it would be a wonderful retirement project (someday), but maybe I'll just refit a used boat- that seems like the most bang for your buck.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
I thought it'd be a little cheaper and that I'd be able to stagger the outlays more.

I had a motor that I thought would push my boat on plane and that'd be good enough for a year or two to stagger the outlays. But that wasn't the case and I literally threw the boat on a mooring for a summer which truly sucked. But patience is a virtue. Between the console, the boat, trailer, and a brand new 90 ETEC I'm going to be into my 17x8 Leblanc center console for just under $20k. Was at the boat show and a 18 Seaway w/ a 70 Yamaha 4S was $35k.

My best friend's a wooden boat builder in Mattapoisett so the console's going to be catered to exactly what I want, which is A) no sitting please (esp on a bench seat) and B) a wheel height of 42"+ and an full instrument panel and a powdercoated aluminum leaning post.

But god does it take time, money, and patience.

Palawanbound

Lieutenant
Boat Make
30 ft Flowers
The beautiful thing about fiberglass,if you make a mistake you can fix it,may a cost a bit more but it has been a great education,why should the real boatbuilders have all the fun!I am going to do things a little different on the next boat,the boss even had some comments about the next one,make sure I can live on it so I will have the comforts of home.

gmac

Captain
Thank you to all who have shared his experience and wisdom. I think it would be a wonderful retirement project (someday), but maybe I'll just refit a used boat- that seems like the most bang for your buck.
That's what I ended up doing, will let you know in a few months how it goes!!

Grandslam35

Lieutenant
Website
www.montaukstriperfishing.com
Boat Make
T JASON 35
Part 3

Part 3.

There are three more parts if anyone wants it posted let me know.

Capt. Tom Mikoleski Grand Slam Charters.

Sorry messed up the order this actually part 4.

SCAN0008.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom