kite hooks

Chasintail11

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Hydrasport 34’ cc
for all you guys that fish kites, what hooks you guys using? I've used the owner jobu hooks but have heard of them breaking. I haven't had one break but i also haven't caught a slob on one.

1rider

Commander
We use a much larger hook on kite baits than down baits for obvious reasons, usually a Gamakatsu Nautilus with a ring.

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
12o-14o (depending on bait size) circle hook with 400lb 10 ft leader. Never missed a hook up on the kite. Some people say go up to 200-220 but I go up to 400.
Only one bait at a time on kite not multiple like some of those sport boats.

Chasintail11

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Hydrasport 34’ cc
Reel in your kite bait in very slowly @blackfin taught me that, while reeling in to go home I slowed down and bam line started coming out of the reel. Ended up being a 98” fish.
Ok so you’re still using circles. That’s the only time I don’t use a circle but was thinking of it. I use 400lb fluoro. If I don’t have a bluefish And only mackerel I’ll run a double rig. Which is one release clip. One big ballbearing swivel with two identical lengths of 400 down to a hook on each line. Causes a ton of attention with both mackerel swimming next to each other and they will never tangle as long as each leader is the same length. Works well and simple to use.

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
Ok so you’re still using circles. That’s the only time I don’t use a circle but was thinking of it. I use 400lb fluoro. If I don’t have a bluefish And only mackerel I’ll run a double rig. Which is one release clip. One big ballbearing swivel with two identical lengths of 400 down to a hook on each line. Causes a ton of attention with both mackerel swimming next to each other and they will never tangle as long as each leader is the same length. Works well and simple to use.
So if I red that right when you have mackerel you fish 2 of them at same time on same rod just different leader? Seems like it make a lot of camotion on the surface but also a tangle.

Chasintail11

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Hydrasport 34’ cc
So if I red that right when you have mackerel you fish 2 of them at same time on same rod just different leader? Seems like it make a lot of camotion on the surface but also a tangle.
If the leaders/ hooks are exactly the same length they won’t tangle. If they spin, the ball bearing swivel just spins with them. Most of the time the tuna will eat both at the same time. I wish I could post a video to show you

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
If the leaders/ hooks are exactly the same length they won’t tangle. If they spin, the ball bearing swivel just spins with them. Most of the time the tuna will eat both at the same time. I wish I could post a video to show you
Something I might look into trying. Can you text me a vid, I will message you my phone number.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Basil sells those kite rigs pre-made. Theres a picture on his site.

leaky

Admiral
I don't think it's the 12/0 sized owner Jobu's that are breaking but can imagine if you go down to an 8/0 or 9/0 size that someone might use for livelining a non kite line that long shank, although great for a hookset, might not be good when it becomes a lever.

I'd be interested in what hooks to use though if owner Jobu aren't the hooks - those are kinda the standard thing when you want a big badass J hook, for trolling, a kite, a giant bait, etc.. etc.. Honestly I don't know of a better hook in that ballpark.

I wouldn't reach for circles on a kite, sure I guess a huge circle might be OK (a huge circle often works more like a J hook) - just with 300 or 400 lb leader and the opportunity to run a big hook, kinda don't need a hook that tends to miss a few (and circles miss more often than J hooks). You really just want a big ass J hook IMO.

I've got a skein of 300 lb flouro I use for that sort of thing - don't do much kite stuff anymore, but seemed about perfect to me. Can use mono or anything just the flouro is more resistant to chaffing, less visible if it drifts down under the water here and there.

Downrigga

Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I don't think it's the 12/0 sized owner Jobu's that are breaking but can imagine if you go down to an 8/0 or 9/0 size that someone might use for livelining a non kite line that long shank, although great for a hookset, might not be good when it becomes a lever.

I'd be interested in what hooks to use though if owner Jobu aren't the hooks - those are kinda the standard thing when you want a big badass J hook, for trolling, a kite, a giant bait, etc.. etc.. Honestly I don't know of a better hook in that ballpark.

I wouldn't reach for circles on a kite, sure I guess a huge circle might be OK (a huge circle often works more like a J hook) - just with 300 or 400 lb leader and the opportunity to run a big hook, kinda don't need a hook that tends to miss a few (and circles miss more often than J hooks). You really just want a big ass J hook IMO.

I've got a skein of 300 lb flouro I use for that sort of thing - don't do much kite stuff anymore, but seemed about perfect to me. Can use mono or anything just the flouro is more resistant to chaffing, less visible if it drifts down under the water here and there.
Owner hooks worst hooks on the planet for giant bft. Its not the size of the hook. The hooks get hot during a fight and they break in the same spot every time. Plenty of guys have experienced it. Its the way the hook is made. The only good part about owner hooks is the finish.

hotreelscharters

Lieutenant
Owner hooks worst hooks on the planet for giant bft. Its not the size of the hook. The hooks get hot during a fight and they break in the same spot every time. Plenty of guys have experienced it. Its the way the hook is made. The only good part about owner hooks is the finish.
Pretty much the only hook I use is a 8/0 owner gorilla. Never broken one. I’ve broken other brands though.

hardcore1

Captain
If you want to replace the jobu with a better hook in that style go for the koga hook. On the kite can't see why an opi stick hook wouldn't work if you are looking for something that doesn't break. They are heavy though

leaky

Admiral

Ok I get that - was gonna add a lot of people complained about super mutu's and man they are so thick it's hard to fathom until you see it...

I like VMC Nemesis 10/0 lately for balloon/down fishing and they are a whole different ballpark of thinner gauge but hold up well and even will straighten to a J hook without breaking (have one here from a jaw hooked but also tail wrapped 950 lbr).

But who makes a big trolling hook like that we like if not Owner Jobu? Honestly never looked into it.

leaky

Admiral
If you want to replace the jobu with a better hook in that style go for the koga hook. On the kite can't see why an opi stick hook wouldn't work if you are looking for something that doesn't break. They are heavy though

Cool - ya Koga is shaped right!

quick-rig-hays-hook-100-2-pack.jpg

Kiteboy

Captain
First Name
Liam
All hooks have ups and down, I have never personally had an issue with owner hooks but have heard about them breaking. All people use different hooks, just use what works for them.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom