Kobelt Controls

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by CaseyMarie, Jul 9, 2018.

1. CaseyMarie

CaseyMarie Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
    I recently bought a flybridge/two helm DE boat with really nice Kobelt Controls. I'm looking for recommendations for a marine mechanic to replace and adjust the upper control cables. I have had two marine mechanics look at them, and they have never seen Kobelt Controls before and could not do the work. I am located in Hingham, MA (south of Boston). Thank you

Attached Files:

• BS4.jpg
      BS4.jpg
      File size:
      117.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Snake8

Snake8 Member

Are they electronic controls? Kobelt are fairly common and easy to adjust. Any half decent marine mechanic should be able to do that job. Might not be cheap but I think Steve's shop would come to hingham or you can go to them.

Steve's Shop, Inc.

CaseyMarie likes this.
  3. traditions

traditions Captain

Boat Make:
    38 Holland
    take the cover off, and there are 3 phillips screws that hold the plate on that holds the cable end in.One of the screws is directly behind the control lever, and is a bitch to get out sometimes.Loosen the 3 screws ,and you will see how it comes apart, be careful not to lose the the small piece of ss rod that goes thru the cable end.

4. CaseyMarie

CaseyMarie Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
    No, they are mechanical. Thanks

5. TAftw

TAftw Senior Member

Umm, what mechanic hasn’t seen Kobelt controls??? :rolleyes:

Like what Traditions said- Take the cover off, old cables pop out, New cables go in. Harder to run the cable itself than actually install them in the controls IMO.

Fishonnelsons likes this.
  6. CaseyMarie

CaseyMarie Member

Boat Make:
    Blue Seas, Boston Whaler
    3A Marine in Hingham Ma, and McCann's Marine Service at Tern Harbor in Weymouth Ma.

I'll do this job myself if I have to, but I just bought the boat and the seller is paying for the parts and labor, so I prefer not to if possible.