Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Melamine board works well, it lasts for a bunch of layups but does eventually fall apart. I came across a 5x10 foot sheet of stainless sheet metal I use now. I have a work table that I put it on when I want to lay something up rather then storing a layup table. The melamine will work for you and it's cheap enough to buy if you need a new sheet.

White Melamine | Kodiak Cabinets

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Who has one or built one ?
I like details (size,construction,materials ect..)
I also like pictures !
I going to make up an inexpensive one in my garage as I'm planning to use a lot of Nidacore besides doing my deck with Coosa.
Weighed up all the 3/4 plywood decking & 2x4 pt supporting deck.
500lbs plywood another 150 in pt.
Like the idea of loosing the weight !
Thanks

Ronnie, I have one being made up now. 3X4 out of scrap from the house going up next to me.
I bought 4 caster wheels with locks so I can wheel the table in and out of the garage for sanding, grinding etc.,

harpoon83

Commander
First Name
Colin
What about a sheet of glass, with the proper support i think it would be a good surface. then again i know nothing about layup tables.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Next one I make is going to be a torsion box similar to this

rogersavatteri-albums-torsion-box-picture4072-img-5067.jpg

Laid up with about 6 layers of 1708 and mat and covered with tooling gel, sanded down to 800 then polished. Probably going to be either orange to match the one that's there now or green just to be different.

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
4 x 10 piece of 1/8 sheet metal. Apply wax and laminate away. Hundreds of sheets later just as it was when new. Malimine works well also,I know a lot of people use it when they have glass projects.I cut the panels on the steel with a razor knife,and wet trim the edges when the glass is still green,and don't have to worry about ruining the finish.May be a overkill for a small project.

Crabman

Lieutenant Commander
Do you vacuum bag it or just lay it up and roll it out? Would you use the glass down side as the finished side?

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I would probably use the new one for vacuum bagging if I were to start doing that. Hand layup is what I'm set up for and used to, so it's the best choice for me. Plus all the small strange pieces that I make up hand layup works out for the best, faster and no consumables to speak of aside from a pair of latex gloves and some acetone to wash out the roller frame and bubble buster.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom