Laying up Nida Core Panels

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
I thought there was a thread on this but I couldnt find it..

laying up 1/2 or 3/4" nida core panels on table..What is the best method for this? I have never had my hands on it...advice appreciated thank you

images.jpg

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
I laid my glass on it dry, then fold back half of it and wet out the folded back backside of the glass and the nida core fabric. Carefully as to not create air pockets, lay the wet out cloth back onto the nida core. Roll out with roller ( I like 7 or 9 inch house roller sleeve with plastic cores) . Repeat for the other side and then have at it with your bubble buster.
You can squeegee release fabric on that side, then carefully flip it over onto a plastic sheet covered table, and do the other side, but you may get some air pockets if the glass falls away as you flip it.
I like doing one side at a time. No surprises.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
Thanks I was wondering how it was done to keep a fair surface. I was thinking that you laid the wet glass on the table and then laid the nida on it but I guess you wouldn't be able to roll out bubbles.. I have been thinking this whole time I would just use plywood but after seeing FV venom doing a wheelie I'm starting to second guess.

nickyp

Captain
Boat Make
20ft dyer
It's easy, just dive right in!

I never found that I needed to weight it down or anything to keep it from warping.

Only if you were to lay up a lot more layers on one side will it warp. But if you keep a balanced amount of layers on each side, it'll be flat as can be.

captchuck

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
26' Seaway
Why not just lay the glass on a sheet of melamine then apply the nidacore?
I'm just throwing it out there could be totally wrong just how I always envisioned it.

Top Bottom