Layup Wet Exhaust System?

Stinkpot

Commander
Boat Make
36' Calvin Beal
What do you do to layup the exhaust system on your boats (wet exhaust) during the winter? Does anyone go as far as to seal off the pipe at the transom and the air intake at the engine with dessicant inserted somewhere in between?

tunafishhkg

Captain
Boat Make
35 Duffy
I plug up exhaust,intake and keep 250W pan heater on all winter. FWIW Two yrs ago when I left the boat outside and shore power pluged in, I believe I had a lightning strike that fried the shore power connector but maybe not and was lucky it did not catch on fire. Wire moves under load from heat like a water hose over time will loosen. Had a friend who's boat did catch on fire from a loose shore power connection so do check that its in good shape and the connectors tight since it can and does loosen over time. Even seen it happen at the main breaker fuse panel in homes. Always wondered why I always see my electrician bro tighten the connection so tight when installing main panels.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
What do you do to layup the exhaust system on your boats (wet exhaust) during the winter? Does anyone go as far as to seal off the pipe at the transom and the air intake at the engine with dessicant inserted somewhere in between?
Open any drain plugs in the system (mufflers often have a drain plug as do exhaust manifolds). Taping the exhaust outlet(s) is a good idea (inviting for wildlife looking for winter digs). Unless the boat is sitting badly off of her waterline or you have a poorly plumbed exhaust system, you should be fine. Don't forget to drain the raw water side. Misting on a coat of WD-40 to the engine (prior to layup) pays dividends over the life of that engine, in my experience.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom