Leaking deck hatch

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I've got a anchor hatch thats over the prop clean out and a fiberglass hatch that sits behind it that covers the steering ram/rudder post. I had them closed up for the last week or so because of rain so today i opened the anchor hatch and i've got water down in the compartment, i don't think its the anchor hatch thats leaking i think its the fiberglass hatch because it seals with a simple round rubber gasket and 8 bolts that thread into a fiberglass flange. The guy i bought the boat from never used the bolts to seal the hatches so the steering ram is a rusty mess. I always had water back there last year but i thought with a good cleaning of the gasket it would stop leaking , guess it isn't so what do i do just dog it down tight and then caulk the gap from the outside with a good silicone or do i lay a bead on the gasket and then dog it down ???
The gasket on the anchor hatch looks good and the flange looks straight
P6050599.jpg
here's the leaker
P6050600.jpg
the boat has 3 of these hatches this one is over the stuffing box
P6050602.jpg
gasket and threaded hole for the bolts
P6050601.jpg

P6050599.jpg

P6050600.jpg

P6050601.jpg

P6050602.jpg

Pedlyr

Captain
Looks like it could be leaking around the bolt holes.

I just went thru this at work with some 6 ft x 3 ft steel deck hatches. 3 of them were secured with no gaskets, just goop on a steel deck. They were held down with counter sunk flat head machine screws. Many holes were leaking. Some were stripped.

We made copies out of lighter aluminum and made some rubber gaskets. Then we skipped some of the holes. The idea was that they would be "less permanent" (not mine, btw). Hatches would not seal right without all of the bolt holes, which were less then 8" on center, and closer at the corners.

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
Steve that stainless one looks like a P&E hatch. I have a few on my rig and they all leak. I put the stick on foam weather stripping on the frame and that helps for a while.

tunaorlater

Admiral
Boat Make
40' Northern bay
Ld do you have any installed pictures of you hatch frames? I considering them for my next build. Thanks

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I have the rubber mat. That I use on my hatch frames that I make let me know I have a roll at the shop. Luis

Thanks Luis but the PE hatch seems to be not leaking, when it rained there was water puddled all round the seam where the hatch fits into the frame, its the fiberglass hatch behind it thats leaking maybe i'll get a quote for a new one made by you for it. Only problem is the cost of shipping up here, i should become a dealer for your gear here and then you could ship by truck and save me a bunch of money on freight. Its something i should think about??

Top Bottom