Leaking hydraulic valve

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
The valve for my hauler leaks fluid out of one of the parts i'm pointing to. Last year i just had a jug under it to catch the fluid but i'd like to fix it before going fishing this year. I know that the pressure relief is on the right but i don't know what is on the left side. I also don't know what side was leaking. Any of you guys had this problem and how did you fix it, i'm guessing it must be some o rings leaking.
P5130427.jpg

P5130428.jpg

P5130427.jpg

P5130428.jpg

traditions

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
38 Holland
What you are pointing to is the detent for the spool.Most likely the oil is coming from the top of the spool.You can have it resealed if the spool isnt worn to bad.You can put in a new spool,but I havent had the best of luck with that,its hard to match a round spool to a worn out valve.You are a long way from Crowes!I just replaced my Gresen valve with one from Roses,almost half the cost.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Exactly. Another method could be trying to make a gasket of some kind, perhaps with that wonderful oil-proof black silicone, which would make the entire cupped section into an oil bath for the bottom of your piston. No idea if you would develop a hydraulic bind over a period of time though, don't know how worn the internals are to allow the oil to move back up past the o-rings back into the unit.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Thanks guys, the boat was built in 2006 and the guy only fished part time so i don't think the valve has many hours on it hauling, when i bought the boat last year it only had 850 hours on the meter. How do i take the valve apart to get the spool out? Guess it will make a big oil mess on everything?? Maybe i'll just leave well enough alone and use my oil catch jug and do a valve rebuild after the shrimping season is over.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
Steve,in your first photo it looks like there is a oil bubble on the left side of the valve ....maybe remove the 4 set screws and reseal it

Top Bottom