LED lighting

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
we all know L E D lighting is the new wave, I just bought one of the Rigid LED diffused lights to check them out ,it's $200, some of these larger units are expensive, I have 6 Halogen to replace so I'd like any input from here so I don't buy an expensive light that is to small and vice versa ,thank you

Blacktide

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I'm planning on buy a pair myself. The come highly recommended. They will replace 55w halogens

blinsquirrel

Commander
rigid marine

Larry..I replaced my halogens with rigid marine d-series..... I put two dually diffused lights on the cabin top facincg aft for the deck....I wasn't sure if they would throw enough light since my deck area is large...I was pleasantly surprised with their performance... I really like the diffused lense for in the cockpit...i'll take a pic this week when I get off the boat.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I rigged the new boat with all RIGID lights. A 20 inch flood combo, two small diffused for everyday deckwork and a 10 inch spot fwd. They are amazing. Blacktide- Let me know if you want to see any in action before you buy. I have a good mix to check out. Boat is on the hard in Oceanside.

Blacktide

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I rigged the new boat with all RIGID lights. A 20 inch flood combo, two small diffused for everyday deckwork and a 10 inch spot fwd. They are amazing. Blacktide- Let me know if you want to see any in action before you buy. I have a good mix to check out. Boat is on the hard in Oceanside.

Thanks Glen, I've already seen them in action. They are on order from Hamilton.

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
I just did this today and saw this post. Great minds think alike.
Bright red LED , this is just one 12", 9 light strip.
Night time is the right time :cool:

Image 1.jpg

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
I just did this today and saw this post. Great minds think alike.
Bright red LED , this is just one 12", 9 light strip.
Night time is the right time :cool:

chumpot, its hard to see what you have from the picture, are those lights under the rail? what kind of "strip" where did you get them. that is not what my original question was about , but it gives food for thought about under the rail

blindsquirrel, I,m going to the boat tonight to check out the new install, dually D2 for the hauling station on deck, sounds like it will be great from your post, I have to decide on replacing the halogens for the back deck with the dually's light for light or larger M series 6" or more

hntrss, sound like your impressed with the 20" spot/flood, do you think it's over kill, after installed do you think smaller would have been ok? mine will not be elevated higher than the back of the cabin and may not be able to take advantage of a large flood

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
LED 2 thumbs up

I just checked out the dually d2 at night , it's very nice , a different color light than the halogen, which are a little yellow while the LED is more white with a little blue, like those fancy headlights they put on cars now day's, the ones that blind you while on low beam :cool:. I think I will finish the hauling lights with 2 more diffused d2, and 2 diffused on the back corners of the over hang with a larger spot/flood in the middle like chumpot . can never have to much light, (unless it's in your eyes!)

the one light I have now is definitely brighter , maybe 2x, while the unit is smaller, cooler, and only draws 1.9 amps, plus at 50,000 hr life they'll still be running when I'm 300 yrs old, so far I givem 2 thumbs up.

wait to hear about the strip lights for the smaller boat, thanks
any additional info is appreciated

Onearcher

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Starcraft islander 221
I found these on AMAZON . 42 w and there's 14 LED's per light.lights are about 5" in diameter.They throw off a ton of light and they are only 40 bucks each. I set up two facing aft to the stern on my 25 footer and they do a great job. The housing are aluminum and solid. They are great for night fishing.

71H1iXIgheL._SY600_.jpg

Last edited:

Chum Pot

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
Parker
Yes, mounted under the rail to wash the area in light. I actually got them at a truck shop on sale, weather proof. I use snap plugs for lights as easier change out if or when needed.Super Bright colored red Vs. regular LEDs.

jennig

Ensign
I have a 50" rigid spot flood off the bow on my radar stand and two 6" diffused facing back... and two d2 diffused on the back of the wheel house... with the 50" I can see over 3/4 of a mile and with the 6" I can see a little over 100 yards and the d2s lights up my whole deck plus some... overall I'm pretty happy but need one over the rail and maybe angle some floods off the bow

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
LED's / precision

I have a 50" rigid spot flood off the bow on my radar stand and two 6" diffused facing back... and two d2 diffused on the back of the wheel house... with the 50" I can see over 3/4 of a mile and with the 6" I can see a little over 100 yards and the d2s lights up my whole deck plus some... overall I'm pretty happy but need one over the rail and maybe angle some floods off the bow

I'm still hooking up the lights I bought D2 diffused and 6" diffused, the performance your seeing from yours is outstanding. since these light are relatively new on the market there is a lot of trial and error in selecting what's needed to replace existing lights, they have a big selection and its hard to figure what you really need, (diffused ,spot, spot/flood), also I've found they are in high demand and there can be availability issues with some models from rigid, compared to others I've seen the rigid is far and above the highest quality. Precision is a dealer so they can get whatever is made direct from manf. , as opposed to a supply house that may not stock the full line

Last edited:

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
No one seems to present them in such a way that you can tell how bright they are compared to typical incandescent bulbs. Like an "equivalent watts" type of number....

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
No one seems to present them in such a way that you can tell how bright they are compared to typical incandescent bulbs. Like an "equivalent watts" type of number....

I can tell you that a dually d2 diffused is brighter, uses less juice, is smaller, better built and is cooler than standard halogen's and should out last the owner, they are between $190 - $200. I do agree that they are hard to pick from the large choices and it's an expensive item to find you've pick the wrong one. hope that helps

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Just meant in general. I am going with a bunch of interior LED lights but have no sense of how bright they will be compared to the traditional bulbs I had. Think it would help any led mfgr to off some standard comparison to other lights with their products so dumb consumers like me wouldnt have to try to sort it out.

eb tide

Lieutenant
Boat Make
28' Northern Bay
Has anybody used these Cree led lights? I was about to order 2 of the ridgid flood lights. These look good, but there must be a reason why they are so cheap?

Top Bottom