Legacy yachts not a True DE

Rosaleah

Ensign
I know that Legacy yachts are not a true DE. But I thought I ask this question here anyway hoping someone could help me out. I am interested in a 2006 42' sedan. The hull is vinylester resign laid with corecell foam core. I have a broker who claims that the Legacy yachts have a history of wet core in the hull especially below the water line. I have search hi and low for this information but have found none. Has anyone heard this or have first hand experience. The proof would be in a survey but would like to verify if this reputation is true.

Thanks

Duane

skyeboat

Commander
Lite User
Boat Make
Coastal 27

Rosaleah

Ensign
I was involved in the build process of many of the Legacys. Balsa was used below the WL on many of the sailboats Freedom built. A conversion to infused VE / Corecell was done for the L-32, and I believe the L-42's were switched at that time , too. Those layups were top notch, I saw no issues, and would anticipate none .

Thanks Tortue, I am a bit confused on whether this particular boat, finished July 2005, (hull #8) is corecell or balsa. The sales write up in yachtworld indicates corecell but a review in Yachting Magazine dated 10/3/2007 says balsa? Legacy 42 Hardtop Another listing for a 2005 (#5) 42 also indicates corecell. A bit confusing, is there a way short of destructive testing to tell?

Again I appreciate you help. This Legacy is a beautiful boat that meets my needs.

Duane

leaky

Admiral
If you can get to bare glass on the inside you may be able to see through it and view what sort of core it is, try a light if you can get to bare glass and you can't see... possibly holding a strong light against the hull on the outside and viewing from the inside (in the dark) may also help expose the core for viewing.

Trouble is though if it's actually corcell it's practically the same color as balsa, and depending what sort of balsa you got, it may also have a pattern very similar (ie little squares), but it may also just be obviously wood or obviously foam when you see it too..

I'd think though a seller could arrange something for a serious buyer to prove what's in there, if they claim it's foam - there is probably an area someplace where you could remove the top layer of encapsulation for verification and seal it back off without any significant effort.

Jon

slam1918

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Bruckmann 30, Dynamite Payson Skiff
Try tracking down Mark Ellis who designed the Legacy hulls. He is retired but reachable by email. I'd also check with some of the reputable brokers in Newport. Brian Commette or John Chapman of Northrop & Johnson come to mind. They should have some good insight.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Here are a couple shots of my friends 34 Legacy that show the balsa coring quite clearly....

The hull "was" from 2001.

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

IMG_1655.JPG

IMG_1657.JPG

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Here are a couple shots of my friends 34 Legacy that show the balsa coring quite clearly....

The hull "was" from 2001.
I always liked a good, full scale, peel strength test :)
Wow! Pretty lousy adhesion of the skin to the core. Does not give me the warm fuzzies. I hope the infused foam core construction is better. Sorry for his loss, hope the insurance covers all costs.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Will see if he wants me to post it here. His insurance company totaled he boat so they are going to pay him what he paid for the boat but he has a bunch of work that was done that wont get paid for unless he wants to sue the trucker but I think he would be 2nd in line to the insurance company there so not sure what he is going to do. Dont think the trucker had enough insurance or the right kind of insurance so its a mess.

Bringing boat to CT from FL and went through the easy pass lane at about 35 only forgot the 12' boat he had on. Lane looks to be maybe 9' wide because the trailer tires are actually touching the curb in one pic (think the trailer is 8'). Boat was torn from the straps and landed on its keel but stayed upright somehow. Think the 12" square steel column may have had something to do with that. Hit the toll booth on the port side too.

Hull has cracks all over. Port side just below the water line there is a front to back crack right through. Also the tie down straps did a ton of damage because they were stretched to the point of breaking and you can see tore the hawse hole guide (bronze) right out of the side of the boat and elongated the hole. I didnt see the inside of the boat but have to believe the rudder post was pushed up (whole boat probably landed on that first) and the cleats are all half torn out of the decks.

Disaster. New boat to him and summer is just starting so he is startnig from scratch with a financial loss.... Will post the truckers name if I can. Guy deserves it.

In fairness to legacy, most stress testing happens at lower speeds than this.;):eek:

Genius

Admiral
First Name
David
Boat Make
32 Morse Cove
ARKK is on the side of the truck in one of the pictures. IDK if this is the hauler or a hauler that rescued the mess. What a sad situation for the boat owner.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Not ARKK they were the towing company that removed the wreckage...

Driver was Rick Butler owner of Aquatech Marine. People make mistakes I guess but what a doozy.

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

ArchHibb

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
OMG, I almost bought this boat. Or rather, I probably would have if there wasn't some misdirection involved. It was a low hour boat that spent many years mothballed in indoor storage on the Cape. In 2015 I spoke with the broker on a Friday about a showing and Monday he told me it sold, but in fact he just moved it down to FL and increased the price.

Needless to say, I'm much happier with the boat I ended up with, but what a tragic end to what was a really nice boat. Had a single 450 Diamond and beautiful hull color, both highly unusual for that make/model.

Adventure 34' 0" LEGACY 2001 for Sale

Kochmo

Lieutenant
Some good news on this Legacy 34. It was purchased, repaired and is currently being offered for sale on YachtWorld for over 200K. She looks great but certainly anyone interested would need to do some serious due diligence. By the way the new owner has a sense of humor. He renamed the boat EZ Pass.

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
Some good news on this Legacy 34. It was purchased, repaired and is currently being offered for sale on YachtWorld for over 200K. She looks great but certainly anyone interested would need to do some serious due diligence. By the way the new owner has a sense of humor. He renamed the boat EZ Pass.
Can you post a link I cant find it

Kochmo

Lieutenant
Beyond my tech skill. If you search Yachtworld for a Legacy 34 Express you will find it. Stars and Stripes blue hull in upstate NY.

Members online

Latest Posts

Top Bottom