www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

jerseysportfisher

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Bertram 33SF
33 bertram

6 johnson 2200 with ultima switches (2 in each compartment)
2 johnson viking diaghram pumps on ultimas 1 between the engines and one under salon
2 Johnson 4000's 1 fore 1 aft on ultimas (mounted 1 foot over bilge floor) one has a bell wired in

my 28 i sold had 1 rule 3500 and 2 seachoice 2200's on junk shit mechanical switches

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
My opinion is stay away from the Rule Automatic ones, can't access P/N here but the ones that turn on every 2 minutes and check for resistance/amps to run. Been running those on 3 boats since 2002 now and they never seem to last in the keel. I think some of the other people have some great ideas on here. I did replace my last one with Travi's rec. from above and dying to see how that lasts. I know I couldn't fit it in my old keels...

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
I picked up this cute little Whale pump back along for the lazarette (damn hatch) but haven't put that in yet. It's adorable for a pump, should work slick.

Those computer controlled pumps are a pain. I think many boats get stray current from them and ultimately electrolysis issues from it.

I'm not overly fond of these new-fangled mercury free pumps. They won't fit in some downeast boats and there have been a few issues with them not working due to an awkward angle.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
wha-ss5012.jpg

Low profile Whale bilge pump. Comes apart nice and slick, suction screen rotates 360 degrees and you can rotate the outlet into a more feasible position as well.

greg

Captain
My opinion is stay away from the Rule Automatic ones, can't access P/N here but the ones that turn on every 2 minutes and check for resistance/amps to run. Been running those on 3 boats since 2002 now and they never seem to last in the keel. I think some of the other people have some great ideas on here. I did replace my last one with Travi's rec. from above and dying to see how that lasts. I know I couldn't fit it in my old keels...

I agree, they don't last. Usually they don't turn off and burn out.

I've got one in the keel, and one in the forward sump. I have a wet keel so there is always a few drips of water from the stuffing box, but otherwise it stays dry. Also have a crash valve on the intake.

Like you, I'm planning to add more this season. Probably another in the keel, another forward, and one behind the rudder post. I like the water on the outside of the boat.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Rule 1500 on a float switch. 3700 on a manual switch. High water alarm.
In an emergency, I can close the seacock on the wash down pump, unhook the intake hose, and dewater the boat. Can't remember the size, but its a big mother.

backman

Captain
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I'e been on a boat 20 miles offshore with a bigger input hole than output pump so I might be construed as a bit over the top.

All of the technical literature seems to suggest that a good rule of thumb is to divide a bilge pumps maximum GPH by 2 to get a real life value.

NB36. Came w/ 2 1100 GPH Rules in the shaft bilge; nothing in the engine room or lazarette. No high water alarms.

Now has 2000 GPH in the engine room as well as a high water alarm there and in the lazarette. Based on my Sea Tow buddies recommendations I also have built and will carry a Rule 3700 submersible pump and spare battery as a drop pump. Its going to sit in the lazarette along w/ the spare battery. I tested it on a 400 gallon hot tub this winter and to use a Boston expression - it works pissahh!

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
two 2000 rule pumps one on a float switch in the back of the keel one on a manual switch under the motor and one 4000 rule on a high water alarm

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Auto. - down in the keel, just aft of the engine this might be a 2000, can't remember now.

Big pump, in front of the engine, right under my feet at the wheel. High water alarm is also located here, but higher up.

Wash down is aft of the engine, starboard side, in between the stringers.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
We carry a manual pump as well - better safe than sorry.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
I can't stand the way my pumps are set up.
It's hard putting two pumps and a high water
alarm in the keel, there's just no room. Working
on them can be frustrating.
Steve,Do you have a drip pan under the motor....if so you could attach the pump to a piece of aluminum or pvc strip and wing nut it to the edge of the pan....so when you have to service the pump its a little easier

Fishin' Fever

Lieutenant
I might try a diaphragm pump this
season. What makes it hard is there's
not much room between the shaft and the
top of the keel. It's like a three point
turn getting them in and out.

Had the same problem. I have a stick mounted with the float switch and hose mounted to the stick going to a diaphragm pump. Works good.

If you're using a rule float switch, make sure it's not a super switch. Hey suck! The old fashion switches (I believe the model is 35?) work good.

Top Bottom