Life Raft

shiook

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM 32, JD 6068T
It's time to replace the life raft that came with the vessel. I only recreational fish, less than 25 miles out. Please provide recommendations or watchouts for raft manufacturers. Also, where do you recommend purchasing from. I'm in Portsmouth NH. Thank you all.

reelsportfishing

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.ReeltoReelSportfishing.com
Boat Make
1999 40' Young Brothers
I bought a Superior cannister 6 man coastal raft from LRSE in Rhode Island. Raft is made in the Carolina's. Factory is former Revere employees. Revere moved over seas. When it's time for a repack in 3 years most parts are generic so price won't be too bad unlike the Viking rafts I was told. I paid $1750 but I had a cradle already. Readily available in Maine also.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Spoke with Liferaft Services today. They will be posting some boat show type discounts on rafts in about a week. If you sign up for their newsletter you'll get the coupon codes when they come out.

Be very careful with LRSE on re-packs. They have a bait and switch type of reputation.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Spoke with Liferaft Services today. They will be posting some boat show type discounts on rafts in about a week. If you sign up for their newsletter you'll get the coupon codes when they come out.

Be very careful with LRSE on re-packs. They have a bait and switch type of reputation.
And re-pack incorrectly destroying seams.....

Lobster.mike

Commander

Did you have a poor experience with LRSE? I’m a full time commercial fisherman with 3 rafts and have had nothing but good experience with LRSE. Always willing to accommodate my schedule and can readily supply a loaner raft while mine are getting packed.

Lobster.mike

Commander
It's time to replace the life raft that came with the vessel. I only recreational fish, less than 25 miles out. Please provide recommendations or watchouts for raft manufacturers. Also, where do you recommend purchasing from. I'm in Portsmouth NH. Thank you all.
Do you know what you want for a raft? How large is your vessel? Perhaps a valise style container would suit you better ?
How many persons do you take? A 4person raft is less expensive and cheaper to re-pack.

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Did you have a poor experience with LRSE? I’m a full time commercial fisherman with 3 rafts and have had nothing but good experience with LRSE. Always willing to accommodate my schedule and can readily supply a loaner raft while mine are getting packed.
A buddy of mine had a 4 man valise raft he dropped off for 1st re-pack. They quoted him 500-600. When he picked it up it was 1200. No phone call. Told him it needed a new cylinder. He ended up selling the raft with his boat a couple years later.
When I got my JC it had a 4 man Viking canister on the trunk cabin that needed re-pack. I already had a 6 man valise but wanted to find out if the Viking could be re-packed. Sent an email to LRSE and Brian replied stating it was a great raft. 2 year re-pack would be 300-400 and even if cylinder was bad 500-600. I gave it to my buddy who dropped it off for re-pack. A few days later they called and said it would be 1100. I called and left a message with Brian. Also sent him an email. No reply. My buddy told them to toss it but still gives me a hard time about it.

Glad you have a good relationship with them! I have no idea why this happened but it seems strange. No one likes $600 surprises

Last edited:

Lobster.mike

Commander
Sorry to hear that. You’re right. No one would want that surprise. I’ve used Chase Leavitt in Maine with great results as well. I’d schedule an appointment and have it done while I was there. Perhaps that’s an option

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Sorry to hear that. You’re right. No one would want that surprise. I’ve used Chase Leavitt in Maine with great results as well. I’d schedule an appointment and have it done while I was there. Perhaps that’s an option
My raft is 12 years old. I’m buying a new raft from Liferaft Services tomorrow. I spoke with them last week and they seem like straight shooters to me. They have a drop off spot in Wakefield RI for repacks. I used Sea Safety out of NJ for my last 2 repacks. They would give me an estimate up front and call me if there were any issues. No surprises with them but I’d rather drive to RI than NJ any day.

I bought quite a bit of safety equipment from LRSE when I got into offshore fishing but as soon as some of it needed service it seemed like I couldn’t get a straight answer from them. It should be easy to price a repack based on the standard list of replacement items at each interval with a caveat of a battery or cylinder replacement. I could never get that from LRSE.

cb34

Rear Admiral
Westerbeke ,East Boston not sure of spelling. 617 561-9967

26novi

Lieutenant
Just wanted to say I bought a 6 man and have had it repacked 3 times now by LRSE with no issues. I don't have a long season so they do have the raft for a few months but always get it to me by my launch date. Met Jake at the boat show and again at the fishing partnership safety training where he was teaching how to deploy and enter the rafts as well as some fire training and equipment service/inspection. I have been working with Chris the last two years and he brings my stuff to and from Boston for me. At times it was tough to reach Jake via email but Chris is quick to text me back so no issue anymore. Picking up my repack this week.

shiook

Lieutenant
Boat Make
BHM 32, JD 6068T
Thanks all. I bought one from Life Raft Services in York ME during their boatshow.

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
Westerbeke in East Boston always treated me right.

Top Bottom