Liferaft recert.

andrewj

Lieutenant
Who is everyone using for liferaft recertification? I haven't had to do one yet and don't want to wait until the spring rush. I am in Rhode Island and I hear the pricing varies greatly from place to place. Raft is a mk4 crewsaver with a manufacture date of 3/16. Just bought the boat with the raft and it looks like it is up for inspection, (pic attached). Are there different inspection intervals based on whether the boat is being fished commercially or recreationally?

IMG_20201204_194658223.jpg

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
LRSE. Yes and prices vary greatly based on manufacture of raft and certification.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

cb34

Rear Admiral
LRSE re packed at the time a 2 year old raft of mine years ago. Folded it wrong and destroyed a seam which was discovered the following year by Westerbec. Lucky I never needed that season. They never offered to even look at it.

the_Bartender

Commander
First Name
Bill
Boat Make
35 Bruno
Revision from Every Year for Comm. You can also go with no raft up to 12 NM. You can not have a raft aboard without certification no matter where you are.
Offshore of Virginia Beach the USCG rule is: 12 meters or less in length, 12 nm offshore or less and 3 crew members or less=NO RAFT REQUIRED. This is for commercial

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

andrewj

Lieutenant
Got it, Thanks guys! Talked to LRSE today. He is estimating $1200-1400 for a repack as it is year 5 and I guess everything in the raft is going to be expired? Yikes! A new raft isn't much more and I can go 2-3 years without a recertification on a new raft.
My 8 man is about 800 a year.
Downrigga, where are you getting yours done? Maybe I will give them a call for an estimate

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
My marina collects every raft when we go on the hard. I think we get some money off because of tbe quantity. I believe its LRSE but im not 100 % positive. I know they come with a truck in january and return them to the marina when repacked.

Last edited:

Bill_N

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31' JC Rowdy Girl
Got it, Thanks guys! Talked to LRSE today. He is estimating $1200-1400 for a repack as it is year 5 and I guess everything in the raft is going to be expired? Yikes! A new raft isn't much more and I can go 2-3 years without a recertification on a new raft.

Downrigga, where are you getting yours done? Maybe I will give them a call for an estimate
I’d make some more calls. I’ve been getting my 6 man Revere done by Sea Safety in NJ for $700. I’ve had a couple issues with LRSE inflating prices and won’t do business with them any longer.

Bill

Founder
Boat Make
27 Terry Jason
LRSE. They have a van and pick up/ drop off depending on where you were. Guy came right to my work in Boston it was great

andrewj

Lieutenant
Marine Safety Equipment & Supplies | Survival At Sea

These guys are located in Maine, not really local to the OP but you can contact them about pricing and they are always quick to respond.
Thanks! Called them today. Pricing seems more reasonable at $8-1200 and they pick up/drop off at a bunch of companies in the region, one even in RI. Will probably go that route if I don't just buy a new one. Like @reelsportfishing said, it seems like they have figured out a way to force your hand into buying new rafts every few years, especially if you are commercial (which I don't necessarily plan on right now). These guys also said I could downgrade from an a pack to a b pack to save $100 or so if I wanted. Pack B limits you to 50 miles and under for commercial activities.

Top Bottom