Lighting question

Tunascapes

Commander
Right now I have 12v led spreader lights. Only 2 and not sure on exact lumens but they say comparable to a normal 50w spreader light. I like the lights but I am looking for more and just not sure the direction to go. I have 2 RAB metal halide lights I acquired. The boat is not currently set up for anything more that 12v. What are peoples options about going through adding an inverter and possible a portable Honda generator vs going with say 6 rigid dually d2? It would be much easier to stay 12v and probably cheaper but I question the longevity of my group 31 batteries trying to run 6 lights all night long.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
We just put on a pair of rigid m series dually diffused in the cockpit, 2650 lumens a piece. It is pure white daylight in the cockpit now - makes me happy just to turn them on.

Also added the 20 inch spot/flood lightbar on top of the house. I don't turn it on in the harbor, or even in the canal if I'm following anyone - it's "uncomfortably bright" for anyone that gets in its path.

Great products - they're expensive, but if you have to add an inverter or genset, the math starts to make sense.

Tactical wholesaler (found them on google shopping) has them at a decent discount and they shipped right away.

Tunascapes

Commander
We just put on a pair of rigid m series dually diffused in the cockpit, 2650 lumens a piece. It is pure white daylight in the cockpit now - makes me happy just to turn them on.

Also added the 20 inch spot/flood lightbar on top of the house. I don't turn it on in the harbor, or even in the canal if I'm following anyone - it's "uncomfortably bright" for anyone that gets in its path.

Great products - they're expensive, but if you have to add an inverter or genset, the math starts to make sense.

Tactical wholesaler (found them on google shopping) has them at a decent discount and they shipped right away.

Thanks for the input. I certainly agree on the math. I just want to do this right once. Buying LEDs and not being happy wont be the cheapest mistake.

If you are mounting on a hard top and not a tower are the diffused or flood a better choice?

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
I struggled with that too, but I'm very happy with the diffused and would recommend going that way. They're mounted on top of the house. My dad had a friend make up a pair of mini rocket launchers with a 24" stand welded into each of them to get the lights up a bit.

My buddy also has the d2 diffused (non dually) mounted on the hard top of his center console and they are great there as well. - he did all the research on these things, so I should really be giving him all the credit.

Im not sure how to post the pics from my iPad, but it really worked well.

Tunascapes

Commander
Seems like the diffused gets you a 60 degree cone of light. Thanks again for the input. Diffused seems to be the better choice for a spreader light.

tomy

Commander
Boat Make
36 Wayne Beal
Hey tuna! I instlled LED lights amd they are super. bought on e-bay and one set came from that awful country named china. price was right. has worked for 3 yrs now, did not pay the "marine" price

Top Bottom