lightning ground for mast?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
As some of u know Goog and I have been shopping around for a new ride. Being as she will get a mast for halides, antenna and a stick. What is the best method to lightning ground a mast?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Only 8 gauge ? I don't think thats enough. I was thinking like 1/0 o_O

What about the plate. Im assuming it has to be stand alone

Last edited:

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
You could go to your Dyna plate with 4 ,6 or 8 gal..how long of a run....1/0 is overkill

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Nvm.... brain fart. Grounding a mast makes it part of the ocean/ no strike draw to mast.. I was thinking lightning rod sending a strike to ground.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I've never heard of any of the draggers masts getting hit. I did know a guy that lost a brother to lightning, they were hiding in between the pound net poles, lightning hit one of the poles, brother was holding on to the bronge rudder tiller, the charge came up throught the tiller and killed him on the spot.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Id rather be safe than sorry especially with the mast set up we would like to run. Gonna be a lot of metal in the air lol

chortle

Captain
Boat Make
Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
Id rather be safe than sorry especially with the mast set up we would like to run. Gonna be a lot of metal in the air lol
Sort of like walking around a golf course with a five iron and pointing it straight up in the air, does not take much to be the best target around in a big, flat, open space.

Something to shoot for is getting the most direct path available from the high point to the water. The more turns you take the more opportunities for a side flash, in theory. #8 is the generally accepted wire size, bigger is better, clean connections are important too, no corrosion. Here is a link to a simple explanation of what to do and why.

http://www.mdsg.umd.edu/sites/default/files/files/lightning.pdf

El Mar

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Bryan
Boat Make
43 Tiara Open DDEC, GradyWhite 226, 18 Donzi Classic, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Sort of like walking around a golf course with a five iron and pointing it straight up in the air, does not take much to be the best target around in a big, flat, open space.

Something to shoot for is getting the most direct path available from the high point to the water. The more turns you take the more opportunities for a side flash, in theory. #8 is the generally accepted wire size, bigger is better, clean connections are important too, no corrosion. Here is a link to a simple explanation of what to do and why.

http://www.mdsg.umd.edu/sites/default/files/files/lightning.pdf

Thanks that a good read. Saved it to my desktop :D

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
I think they will make a cute couple..lol

Its a good combo. We both fish hard and have different roles on the boat and don't question or nit pick each other. He does captain shit. I do engineer shit lol

Top Bottom