Lightweight ply product for interior cabinetry

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
Anyone have any idea what is the lightest 1/2" and 3/4" ply product for use in interior cabinetry etc.? Just demolished my galley and settee and will be rebuilding it all. It was all MDO with knotty pine cleats holding it all together- from the factory.

Seems like choices are MDO and marine grade ply and I would think that MDO would be heavier of the two. Anyone have any other suggestions?

light weight panels

Another option is foam cored plywood panels. The Plywood "skins" are very high quality. Maine Coast Lumber is the distributor. Their number is (800) 899-1664. Ask for Steve

Toolate

Admiral
First Name
Ben
Boat Make
1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50

Very cool- how do you do that?

That looks too high tech for me (how much does it cost?)- I need to be able to work this stuff into all kinds of angles etc. (pretty sure you know what I mean) with relatively common tools.

Ever use Tricel? THink I was thinking more of plywoods etc. with the weight question and I am only going to use 8 sheets or so in all of it so I am not sure how much weight I could be looking at saving. Was just curious.

CEShawn

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Downeastless
Travis, excellent post... LOL I need that for all the questions I am getting about my green stick...

Anyone have a cost on something like this?

Curious as compared to just putting some layers on a sheet of nidacore.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
I got a couple of sample pieces of Tricel, its basically a cardboard honey comb material, only thing that concerns me about using it how much of the resin gets soaked into the cardboard and out of the mat or cloth ? I'm sure Mr T can and will chime in on this and give us some answers.
Its pretty flexible so i know it could be worked around curves.

20131113_182920[1].jpg

20131113_182952[1].jpg

20131113_182920[1].jpg

20131113_182952[1].jpg

james

Lieutenant
Boat Make
crusader 34
fiberglass

lbi makes a product that is honey comb center with cloth over it. it is plyable and easily molded to shapes you then add resin it comes in 2x4 sheets or 4x8 sheets what ever thickness you need it can also be used to core transoms on older boats that have wasted wood transoms it is structurally sound and low cost i use it on many projects on boats here in brunswick ga its a great product there is no paper or card board it is strictly fiberglass composite good stuff

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
184808_170969572954900_7114374_n.jpg

Yeah I guess you could say that I've used it once or twice.

For Emme we used two different styles of the Tricel. One was the rigid 3/4" panel which tipped the scales at a whopping 21 lbs for a 4x8 sheet and the bendable 3/4" panel which was 18 lbs for a 4x8 sheet.

It's fantastic. Simply fantastic. Bulkheads, decks, supports, interiors, etc. Nice wood grain finish for your decor needs if that's what you're into.

Use it just like plywood. However if you're screwing into it or mounting anything on it you need to do your homework and do the correct procedures for each. See the foot rest that I'm using? There is a backing plate on the interior of the dash which takes all of the abuse and the backside is undercut and filled so that the exterior doesn't get distorted from the fulcrum pressures.

Using the bare honeycomb in applications I haven't done yet, have a whole box though so I might experiment making a dinghy this winter if I have time. Might do a wet layup and vacuum bag it into it then do a skin coat on top, haven't decided yet. You can get it with wood faces, glass faces, metal faces, finished faces, all kinds of options here.

The foam cored panels are nice, I have some in my own boat - they were laying around so I absconded with them. They work pretty nice but if I had to do it over again I'd use Tricel. They too have a nice finished wood face, but you can't bend them like you can with Tricel and if you use too sharp of an impact you can fracture the seam where the foam joins the panel.

That's an oops moment to be sure.

Top Bottom