Limestone 24

spseaway19

Deckhand
Boat Make
Seaway 19
Canadian built boat designed by Mark Ellis to handle the chop of Georgian bay on Lake Ontario. The hull shares some similarities with early Bertrams however it carries more beam at 9'3'' for 24' LOA, making a pretty good ratio for all running conditions. It does have a sterndrive but most were built with a center-mounted engine with a jackshaft to allow the boat to carry more speed into a head sea when it gets sloppy. What is also unique is how the vee does not come down to a slicing point. I was told Ellis manifested this torpedo like profile after the US Navy concluded a soft profile like this has superior landing characteristics on their Albatross aircraft than hulls that terminated in a point. Hunt also incorporates this into their pleasure deep-vees like Grady White.

Overall it's a great little boat and definitely lives out its reputation of a safe, stable, and great all around performing deep-vee at any running angle. I've taken it all up and down the eastern coast of CT, Newport, block, and over to Long Island. A night crossing of plum gut last fall in less than desirable conditions with wind opposing current truly impressed me. The boat tracks just fine and lands soft every time. It's the poor mans hunt harrier.

IMG_2652.jpg IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg IMG_4536.jpg IMG_2996.jpg IMG_3025.jpg IMG_4538.jpg

BOSBoatMan

Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
That boat was like $40k in the early, early 1990s so would hardly call it a poor man’s boat. My fathers client and friend owned one of the first delivered to the NE, there was actually a very nice write up of his sea trial with the author from Offshore magazine (wow going back pretty far here).

That is a very, very capable boat for its size and specs

Crabboater

1st Mate
First Name
Rick
Boat Make
MDI 30 / Farrin
Canadian built boat designed by Mark Ellis to handle the chop of Georgian bay on Lake Ontario. The hull shares some similarities with early Bertrams however it carries more beam at 9'3'' for 24' LOA, making a pretty good ratio for all running conditions. It does have a sterndrive but most were built with a center-mounted engine with a jackshaft to allow the boat to carry more speed into a head sea when it gets sloppy. What is also unique is how the vee does not come down to a slicing point. I was told Ellis manifested this torpedo like profile after the US Navy concluded a soft profile like this has superior landing characteristics on their Albatross aircraft than hulls that terminated in a point. Hunt also incorporates this into their pleasure deep-vees like Grady White.

Overall it's a great little boat and definitely lives out its reputation of a safe, stable, and great all around performing deep-vee at any running angle. I've taken it all up and down the eastern coast of CT, Newport, block, and over to Long Island. A night crossing of plum gut last fall in less than desirable conditions with wind opposing current truly impressed me. The boat tracks just fine and lands soft every time. It's the poor mans hunt harrier.

View attachment 159829 View attachment 159830

View attachment 159823 View attachment 159824 View attachment 159825 View attachment 159826 View attachment 159827
always admired these. I had the similar-but-different Pursuit 2460 Denali , another boat that punched way above it's weight, for 20 years

Top Bottom