Line Color

SS Shamrock

Ensign
I just wanted to see if anyone has played around with diffrent line colors with mixed results. I usually just use a dark Green or a blue green to match the ocean color around here. Has any experimented with Hi-Vis colors. Just looking for ideas. thanks guys.

SS Shamrock

Ensign
Line

I am currently using my rods for both trolling, chunking, and live bait. For Live bait and chunking I usually use a 12 - 15 foot Fluro Leader.

Frigate

Captain
Boat Make
38' Duffy/Flower
First let me clarify I'm talking about fishing tuna south of Long Island from inshore bluefin to the canyons fishing for BAYS tuna, not giant fishing.

Being an old fart I fish old school. I use Cortland dacron on all my offshore rods. People who fish with me know what they are doing and are not googans. Mono is for googans, so they can make mistakes and maybe get the fish. However mono can take only a few mistakes and then you need to replace all the line on the reel. With dacron if you have a problem or at the end of the year you can pull 100-150 yards of line off the reel butt splice a new piece of dacron fill the reel and you are good to go.

Getting to color, deacron is white. My trolling baits and lures have 10' to 12' mono leaders so the line is not in the water. When I am shark fishing I have 15' of wire leader from the bait to the line. Sharks don't care about line color. For chunking at night in the canyons I use a 25' top shot of 180lb. Momoi fluorocarbon leader to my 80's. Some guys go to real light leaders because the say the fish can see the leaders. So they hook up 5 fish put two in the boat and I hook up 3 fish and pull 3 fish in the boat. Who's ahead?

I use SS southern tuna hooks on the my lures and get better hook set with deacron. When we get multiple hook ups as a captain I can see the white lines well enough and don't need high-vis line. Hope this helps.

Nasty Nate

Ensign
Color line

I know alot of guys do the same thing. My theory is that dark colors only match the water when u are looking down from above. When u look up from belLow you need to match the sky
Fish comoflage themselfs by being dark on top and light on the bottom so that prey can't see them.

So they can't see dark line only if they are above it
I think line should be light in color to match the sky

Abenziowilson

Banned
Shamrock I appreciate your idea of color dark ! I also think Green or a blue green is best mix up colors ! It will increase a better look !

unclefish

Commander
Boat Make
32 Mitchell Cove

try hi seas quattro multi color . I have used it for the last 20 years for offshore fishing. it has a lot of give in it to for when those drags are not set just right to. proven time after time for me.

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
I started chasing GBT in the mid-70s (the days when you could handline them with SevenStrand braided wire leaders). Things are different now and we've since learned the tuna have the best eyesight of any fish. That should be enough but for many reasons, it is tough to beat spliceable braid with a top shot of mono. Most setups will work in low light (thick fog, for instance) or heavy weather but it is the blue bird days that will try your soul if you aren't using very, very shy gear. If you're not popping off fish occasionally, you're not doing it right (IMO, of course).

Top Bottom