live bait

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
question's : what do the new England tuna boats pay for live bait in season ? what is the demand and how is the supply generally ?, are live pogy's desirable ?

Last edited:

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
I have read instances when bait is tight that live bait could bring high prices

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
$60/ dozen live pogies delivered on the cape.

Weren't alot of pogies around this year, and the Macs stayed all year, so there wasn't alot of business for the bait guys.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
$60/ dozen live pogies delivered on the cape.

Weren't alot of pogies around this year, and the Macs stayed all year, so there wasn't alot of business for the bait guys.

that's what I heard. though it takes a few fish to pay for a ride that far for me

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
None available on the northshore that I know of, everyone catches their own.

One of my good friends lives up there, gill nets every night and delivers to the pens in Salem/Marblehead.

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
Just bait pens that some guys keep stashed under their docks or on moorings.

It's easier to leave them in someone's pen and make arrangements for the money than waste time trying to meet up with them.

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
None available on the northshore that I know of, everyone catches their own.

there not the most durable fish, but we'll be working on handling and shipping over the road . i'll bring it up if feasible in the summer, we normally have a good supply through the entire year here.

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
there not the most durable fish, but we'll be working on handling and shipping over the road . i'll bring it up if feasible in the summer, we normally have a good supply through the entire year here.
I'd bet you would get some customers up north of boston, quite a few tuna wishers up here, and when some dude is spending $500 on fuel for the day, they may just be willing to shell out some $$ for livies to save some time...work with a buyer and have a pen at their pier maybe.

Top Bottom