Liveaboard Lobster Boat

Wescustogo

Ensign
Boat Make
Mckee 14'
I'm planning my career out as a lobsterman in Maine and was thinking about a liveaboard lobster boat. It would be based on a 50' open stern but customized with a larger cabin so that the actual lobstering area is about 20' of total length. My buddies' 39' Dixon open stern has about 21' of work space and the rest for a small cabin and helm area. I would assume I could at least get a full size bed, shower, bathroom and galley out of the 30'. Money won't be much of a problem as I will work up to this design over the years.

Has anyone heard of someone attempting/succeeding in this idea?

Link to boat that resembles my plan without the living space.

Dixon's Marine Group - 45 X 18.8 (Aug 2004)

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
"Money won't be much of a problem as I will work up to this design over the years."

So, you are going to save up to a million bucks to build your 50' liveaboard lobster boat while working as a lobsterman? Where do I sign up?

Seriously, a 40' or even a 36' downeaster hull will give you decent living accommodations below. And half or less of the price of a 50', half or less of the fuel and half or less of the maintenance.

And I would suggest starting with a used recreational downeaster that you modify with a cutaway cabin and add a hauler. A lot easier than adding liveaboard systems to a plain jane lobster boat.

David

eyschulman

Commander
Boat Make
Devlin 48 & Marshal Sanderling
you might do better with a small working LB and a house boat you can tie up to.

Top Bottom