Livewell set up….

Panhandler80

Captain
Boat so close to fishing.

55 gallons filled in three minutes. The good news is I have another short and squaddie barrel for soft baits And a valve off the same pump.

Shit is getting real. Satellite campus came in on Friday. 2kw Transducer was mounted prior To the trip down. Need to mount sounder. Set up a independent Furuno network. Run a few more circuits and that’s it.

August 7 some fish are going to die

D6397E87-C1AA-4167-A6AB-464C86E393D9.jpeg 7D5CD33D-C5F6-4E39-B63F-49E89C37F4B8.jpeg 1FEBCF2B-DB58-4C37-AB9B-137C71B37942.jpeg

Last edited:

plowin

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
33' flowers
Boat so close to fishing.

55 gallons filled in three minutes. The good news is I have another short and squaddie barrel for soft baits And a valve off the same pump.

Shit is getting real. Satellite campus came in on Friday. 2kw Transducer was mounted prior To the trip down. Need to mount sounder. Set up a independent Furuno network. Run a few more circuits and that’s it.

August 7 some fish are going to die

View attachment 114213 View attachment 114214

Hopefully the fish that are gonna die are not the bait your trying to keep. Looks real slick, i will be interested to see how that spray bar mounted vertically works out.

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

Panhandler80

Captain
Neat looking rig, but i have to ask. Did you have to mortgage the house for those SS valves and fittings ??. :) Sure does make for a well thought out system.

Local hose and rubber place… Cheaper than PVC valves at west marine, which is where in started.

Panhandler80

Captain
Hopefully the fish that are gonna die are not the bait your trying to keep. Looks real slick, i will be interested to see how that spray bar mounted vertically works out.

Works great. Same barrel I had on last boat. Circulates entire water column.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Rule of thumb. A 50 gallon livewell needs a 2150 gph pump. You want to turn the water over 40 times an hour or better. Like how your spraying the entire column. That will prevent any dead spots for sure.

Panhandler80

Captain
Rule of thumb. A 50 gallon livewell needs a 2150 gph pump. You want to trun the water over 40 times an hour or better. Like how your spraying the entire column. That will prevent any dead spots for sure.

That’s a cycle every 1.5 minutes. I think you’d kill baits with that much flow. I’ve always heard that you want your tank to fill in 5-6 minutes. Which is 10-12 cycles/ hour. Maybe 2150 gph in theory??? Meaning that’s an appropriate size pump, but in application nowhere near that much water ever actually hits the tank.

I’ve kept lots of bait alive in 55 gallon barrel with even just an 1,100 gph pump.

Of course all baits are created equal either.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
There is a really good read in marlin mag. They have a rule of thumb for different size wells. It calls for a change in water 42 times per hour regardless of the size. They talk about flow, temp, toxic build up, dead water. True, some flow rates can kill bait and other baits die without it. They discuss that and how to adjust. Depends on the bait. I believe they focus on keeping bait for an extended period of time. Your system is very nice. Might find some helpful info in that article. I would post it on here if I knew how.

Last edited:

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Here’s the article.

Bait Livewell 101

But Im not buying it. No way a tank needs to cycle every 86 seconds. At least not for the baits I usually fish with.
Dr Benetti has a pretty extensive background for keeping baitfish alive but fair enough. I think his thinking is more along the lines of days as opposed to hours.

Panhandler80

Captain
Dr Benetti has a pretty extensive background for keeping baitfish alive but fair enough. I think his thinking is more along the lines of days as opposed to hours.

I’ve kept baits healthy with 1,100 gph in 55 gal drum for 40 hours. Interesting read for sure, and after I found it I realized that I’ve actually read it before. 42 times / hr for baits I’m fishing (cigar minnows, Spanish sardines, pinfish, grunts, blue runner / hardtail) just isn’t necessary. Tuna tubes may in fact be a different story… I believe that.

I’ve got this barrel hooked up to a 3800 gph general purpose Rule and will keep spare on board. Wide open she fills in 3 minutes which is 20 changes per hour. Had hoped to have one of the other hoses also wide open all the time and hanging out scupper so a wash down always ready to be grabbed. No pressure but plenty of volume. Work fine as long as used frequently throughout trip. I still think I’ll be able to do that.
FD5A9923-E032-4073-A987-4D8576D11758.jpeg 4E3AEE48-E29A-4005-9317-BDC78EA35983.jpeg

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
I’ve kept baits healthy with 1,100 gph in 55 gal drum for 40 hours. Interesting read for sure, and after I found it I realized that I’ve actually read it before. 42 times / hr for baits I’m fishing (cigar minnows, Spanish sardines, pinfish, grunts, blue runner / hardtail) just isn’t necessary. Tuna tubes may in fact be a different story… I believe that.

I’ve got this barrel hooked up to a 3800 gph general purpose Rule and will keep spare on board. Wide open she fills in 3 minutes which is 20 changes per hour. Had hoped to have one of the other hoses also wide open all the time and hanging out scupper so a wash down always ready to be grabbed. No pressure but plenty of volume. Work fine as long as used frequently throughout trip. I still think I’ll be able to do that.
View attachment 114253 View attachment 114254
I hope you catch a lot of fish.

tsharac

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Tim
Boat Make
1976 20' Eastporter; 1976 16' Stratford dory
Might depend on water temperature. Colder water has more oxygen. If Dr Benetti's experience is Florida, the minimum flow rate guidance might be different than in Maine waters.

Downrigga

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36' NB
Might depend on water temperature. Colder water has more oxygen. If Dr Benetti's experience is Florida, the minimum flow rate guidance might be different than in Maine waters.
I agree but he talks about other things besides temp to justify his beliefs. He likes to control the flow rate for sure. It was just a good read for someone building a livewell system. Fish waste is fish waste in any livewell though. My flow rate is not 42 times an hour but then again im not keeping bait alive more than 24 hours. He is keeping bait alive for a living so im sure he does not leave room for error.

Haddock

Captain
First Name
Mike
Boat Make
24' Seaway Hard Top
Never had any issues with herring, pogies or macks in the live well as long as any bloody fish were culled but not sure what the flow rate was. Had issues with whiting in the live well; had better luck laying them down on ice in the cooler until sent out than in the live well.

Top Bottom