Lobster Bait Cakes

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Hello guys,

Any recreational or commercial lobster fishhermen here on the forum using "herring oil bait cakes" for lobster trap bait?

Any experience with any "artificial" lobster bait ???

I'm looking for a supplement or alternative bait for my 10 pots.

Curious,

Bill D

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
You mean the "Pucks"?

Five potter gave me their supply. Still out in the bait shed for all I know.

Yes the herring pucks.

Have you ever tried them ??

As my season reaches midway point :D...I run out of mackeral I caught earlier.

Herring seems to disintegrate real quick in warm water down here (65F) so I'm looking for an alternative bait for my "thriving hobby" ;)

Curmudgeon

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
Never tried the pucks, but tried the cowhide. It's no good. Stick with real bait IMO.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
ya need a piece of gillnet for that blackfin:rolleyes: rig one side for lobster and the other side to gillnet !! take the grandkids out to pick pogies for bait. Go troll up some bluefish they hang and fish good. I tried the herring blocks that Brooks sells for bait, didn't catch shrimp very well but the fleas didn't eat them up. Salted skates fish good if you can get some.

JimRP31

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Willis Beal/RP 31
Bill,

I have used Bessy Bait with great success. I usually top it off every other time I check my pots. I bought a 35 Gallon barrel this spring.

Jim

Lucky Ticket

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Northcoast
Bill Im up your way im fishing a combination of cow hides (great when sand fleas are around) and fresh bait, as well as cowhide only and have not had much of a difference. you can buy a tote of pogies or herring from simms on rt 133 rowley or seabrook coop for $40. I f i was running 10 traps i would pre stuff bait bags and freeze them its alot easier and cleaner on a nice boat like yours. Also easier when you bring greenhorns. You should be able to get about 60 bags stuffed good maybe more that should just about finish off your season good luck.

BillD

Admiral
Boat Make
Bill Im up your way im fishing a combination of cow hides (great when sand fleas are around) and fresh bait, as well as cowhide only and have not had much of a difference. you can buy a tote of pogies or herring from simms on rt 133 rowley or seabrook coop for $40. I f i was running 10 traps i would pre stuff bait bags and freeze them its alot easier and cleaner on a nice boat like yours. Also easier when you bring greenhorns. You should be able to get about 60 bags stuffed good maybe more that should just about finish off your season good luck.

Lucky, I use cowhides along with either mackeral I caught early in the season or herring from Simms. I bag the tote of herring 50-60 fish to a bag and then bring one bag per pull, thaw out on the boat.

Where are your traps located ??? Salisbury or Plum Island ??

cb34

Rear Admiral
bait bags

Have you guys used the sand flea proof bait bags? they allow the bait to fish longer;)

Lucky Ticket

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Northcoast
Haven't heard of them maybe urban legend cow hides fish 3-4 weeks when fleas around fresh bait skins maybe one day if there present but a tip flounder fish around the gear with fleas I think you'll be happy. Think about filleting a flounder what's in there belly.

cb34

Rear Admiral
bags

New England marine and industrial, Portsmouth NH 800 492-0779. They only had small ones, but they work.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM
Try Friendship or Brooks for the flea bags. I tried some for shrimp and i couldn't catch shit with them, the bait lasted fine just nothing in the traps.

Top Bottom