Commander
Lite User
First Name
Nick
Boat Make
Wellcraft Coastal 2800

Snake8

Commander
Dock price is $10/lb right now in my harbor. A little higher than normal for this time of year. State waters are basically closed. There is a lot that will shake out from this. Im concerned about the spring price. Its a bad time for most guys as the money tends to run out and a lot of guys need that high price in May to cover running costs. Im concerend about the derby style fishing we may see come May 1. Ive heard from some South shore guys that things got really ugly when the CC bay closure first went into effect, lots of gear clashes on the dock and in the water, fistfights etc.,

Additionally they are mandating a sleeve or low breaking strength line. Mass Lob Assoc. gave members a spool of line to test last year and it was almost unusable. The pic is after a couple hauls. The sleeves are unavailable. Ive heard the state is going to give us all two spools of compliant line, but if its as bad as the shit they gave us last year its not gonna work.

IMG_4652.jpg

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
Dock price is $10/lb right now in my harbor. A little higher than normal for this time of year. State waters are basically closed. There is a lot that will shake out from this. Im concerned about the spring price. Its a bad time for most guys as the money tends to run out and a lot of guys need that high price in May to cover running costs. Im concerend about the derby style fishing we may see come May 1. Ive heard from some South shore guys that things got really ugly when the CC bay closure first went into effect, lots of gear clashes on the dock and in the water, fistfights etc.,

Additionally they are mandating a sleeve or low breaking strength line. Mass Lob Assoc. gave members a spool of line to test last year and it was almost unusable. The pic is after a couple hauls. The sleeves are unavailable. Ive heard the state is going to give us all two spools of compliant line, but if its as bad as the shit they gave us last year its not gonna work.

View attachment 103573
what kind of sleeve is it? Can it only be purchased from one source? are they mandating a certain brand ?? wondering if it is something that can be engineered quickly and sourced to meet demand...

Snake8

Commander
Its like a chinese finger trap thing. There is one manufacturer, its mentioned above, they are cranking them out afaik. My concern with those is that I have 3/8" and 5/16" endlines but some are old and worn down, not sure how they will fare with the sleeve. Ive heard we can splice that red shitty rope as a breakaway, but that rope sucks to splice and as you can see doesnt hold up. I have an idea I am working on for a breakaway as are some of my freinds, but getting approval from the state is not super easy yet.

Tuna Hotline

Captain
Its like a chinese finger trap thing. There is one manufacturer, its mentioned above, they are cranking them out afaik. My concern with those is that I have 3/8" and 5/16" endlines but some are old and worn down, not sure how they will fare with the sleeve. Ive heard we can splice that red shitty rope as a breakaway, but that rope sucks to splice and as you can see doesnt hold up. I have an idea I am working on for a breakaway as are some of my freinds, but getting approval from the state is not super easy yet.

What about the plastic breakaways that places like Hamilton Marine sells? I know a bunch of guys who ran those last year in MA and they seemed to work out fine. I'm totally out of my element, so I just figured I would ask.

CCtuna

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Some day...
What about the plastic breakaways that places like Hamilton Marine sells? I know a bunch of guys who ran those last year in MA and they seemed to work out fine. I'm totally out of my element, so I just figured I would ask.
Those are for attaching buoys to end lines. What’s being discussed is a secondary in-line breakaway that has to be placed at various depths in the endline

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
found a vid - brand is Novabraid "south shore" sleeve - and wow, that seems like a total PITA to put every 7 fathom.!

I would think an injection molded hard rubber part with a hollow section on both ends, a couple holes to through bolt through the line might actually work.

Snake8

Commander
found a vid - brand is Novabraid "south shore" sleeve - and wow, that seems like a total PITA to put every 7 fathom.!

I would think an injection molded hard rubber part with a hollow section on both ends, a couple holes to through bolt through the line might actually work.
Im not sure any of my older rope will walk through that sleeve, and unless they buy me all new rope Im not going to go buy a pallet of rope and re-do all my endlines.

The big issue with any contrivance is that is has to go through the hauler and be durable, not sure hard rubber would be pliable enough.

The other thing which really bother me about all this is that the science behind the breaking strength is not very good. We can do all this shit and I dont really see how it prevents entanglements. Its wishful magical thinking that doing all this shit will save the whales.

tuna_fan

Captain
First Name
Eric
Im not sure any of my older rope will walk through that sleeve, and unless they buy me all new rope Im not going to go buy a pallet of rope and re-do all my endlines.

The big issue with any contrivance is that is has to go through the hauler and be durable, not sure hard rubber would be pliable enough.

The other thing which really bother me about all this is that the science behind the breaking strength is not very good. We can do all this shit and I dont really see how it prevents entanglements. Its wishful magical thinking that doing all this shit will save the whales.
Def seems like a lot of work for very little reassurance that it actually does anything, except make more work for you guys. Sorry you have to deal with all that....
As with most of these whale countermeasures, really does feel like they implement these things to make themselves and the public "feel good" that they are doing something...when in reality ship strikes are a much bigger threat. But no one wants to address that one - easier to go after the lobster guys.

Top Bottom