Lobster/gillnet boat: 38 Calvin Beal vs 40 H&H

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by Phil nick, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Phil nick

Phil nick Member

Hi I’m new to this and just looking for some help. I am a commercial fishermen fishing traps and gill nets. My dad has a 38ft Holland and I have a 40 ft 1986 young brothers that I love but I’m ready to upgrade.
    I’ve been doing some research and trying to find My new boat. Narrowed it down between a 38ft Calvin Beal or a 40ft H&H. Just seeing what some people prefer to help me make up my mind because they are both nice boats. Also I was considering buying another 40ft young brothers like I have now but new since I know how it rides or is the CB or H&H a huge step up. Your feed back is much appreciated

2. Lobster.mike

Lobster.mike Senior Member

Have you looked at the 40' Wayne Beal?

3. Phil nick

Phil nick Member

No I haven’t, I’m from the west coast, only really heard of the Calvin Beal and the H&H. I tried looking up Wayne Beal
    But couldn’t find a website

4. Phil nick

Phil nick Member

Actually sorry I found the website, how is the Wayne comparable to the Calvin and the H&H

5. ThePartsGuy

ThePartsGuy Senior Member

PARTS PROFESSIONAL
    Home Page:
    I use to fish with a guy in York, ME named Jeff W. Pretty sure it was a RP40. He gillnetted off the port and hauled lobster gear starboard. Boat was a beast. Finished it in his yard. Was that with Steve Law? I can't remember.

6. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    where do you fish out of ? pics of boats ?

7. Phil nick

Phil nick Member

upload_2019-4-29_9-37-17.jpeg
    I fish out of Los Angeles, 3rd generation fishermen. I just lost my gramps last month 1st generation and 92yrs old, definitely taught us work ethic, only way to survive in ca fishing industry. My grandpa bought a new boat, my dad bought his dream bought which is the 38 holland and I kinda want to keep the Tradition going and purchase a new one. Just hard to decide between a Calvin Beal, Wayne Beal, H&H. Didn’t realize all the different DE boat builders all the boats are nice. out there and since I’m so far away just trying to read all the forums to help me decide.

NightBite, david, steveinak and 2 others like this.
  8. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    looks like there is nothing wrong with the rig you have ! What are you looking for in a new boat ? With that net diaper on the stern do you gillnet swordfish with your boat ?

9. Lobster.mike

Lobster.mike Senior Member

Would you be finishing it yourself? If not then contact a few finish shops. I've had a new boat built by Farrins Boatshop as well as a repower and rebuild. Bruce was instrumental in helping me decide between models. Boat finish shops quite often have an easier time getting a hull laid up as well.