Lobster Prices

Prdlobster

Commander
Any lobsterman from Maine or Mass on the forum mind sharing what they're getting for a price? We've been getting between $8 and $9 down here in RI depending on the run.

Overkill

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
44 Calvin Beal
$8.50 for boat run, We don't has a shedder price but some wharfs do. I hope they aren't setting ourselves for another price crash like we saw last year. Early shedders and a high old shell price is hard on the market, when the OS price gets in this price range restaurants start to drop them off the menu reducing demand. when a customer walks in to a fish market and has a choice between OS for $10 plus or shedders for half the price and chooses the shedders it reduces demand for OS, driving the price down. All this happening while we are giving each other high fives cause the price is up.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
$8.50 for boat run, We don't has a shedder price but some wharfs do. I hope they aren't setting ourselves for another price crash like we saw last year. Early shedders and a high old shell price is hard on the market, when the OS price gets in this price range restaurants start to drop them off the menu reducing demand. when a customer walks in to a fish market and has a choice between OS for $10 plus or shedders for half the price and chooses the shedders it reduces demand for OS, driving the price down. All this happening while we are giving each other high fives cause the price is up.

Sorry for the hijack here but I'm curious.

If I buy a shedder to cook and eat for 1/2 price of an "old shell" is there a "difference" in the texture or flavor of the meat?

Why is a shedder 1/2 the price of an old shell???

Curious?

Appreciated, Bill D

Prdlobster

Commander
Usually you get less meat out of a new shell compared to a hard shell of the same size that's why they are cheaper. As far as texture and taste...I actually prefer a new shell it seems like like they are a little more sweeter and buttery and a lot easier to crack open...but that's just me.

steveinak

Admiral
Boat Make
31 BHM

The high price is just a loan from the loanshark dealers :eek: you'll pay it back with high interest once the fishing gets heavy :D.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
Usually you get less meat out of a new shell compared to a hard shell of the same size that's why they are cheaper. As far as texture and taste...I actually prefer a new shell it seems like like they are a little more sweeter and buttery and a lot easier to crack open...but that's just me.

I like eating new shell lobster too. I believe the reason for new shell lobster being lower is the shipping quality is no where near as good as hard shell. Most people agree that new shell lobster are better eating once I give them both to try .

We are up to $9lb for run but nobody can catch enough to pay for bait and fuel. Storms have ruined most the gear in the water and it is the wrong weather pattern to think about setting gear, Our area hasn't been paid for a few years to take chances so setting gear right now creates a fairly good chance of putting yourself out of business,

Last edited:

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
They say $11.00 now. Still nobody even trying to go.

Anyone ever set gear only to have the price crash after Easter?

Prdlobster

Commander
Dealers down here are already whining about Canadian zones opening in April. Heard those guys haven't been able to get out cause of weather and when they do they arent't catching much. They always find some angle to f*** you over.

FPTMarineDiesel

Captain
Sorry for the hijack here but I'm curious.

If I buy a shedder to cook and eat for 1/2 price of an "old shell" is there a "difference" in the texture or flavor of the meat?

Why is a shedder 1/2 the price of an old shell???

Curious?

Appreciated, Bill D
Hello Bill,

you will notice the difference when you open them both up side by side, same size lobsters. The shedder will be full of water and very small amounts of meat and the OS or Hard Shell (Old Shell), will be full of meat with a lot less water weight because they have fully grown into their shell and haven't shed yet. Hard shells are a little more work but you get what you pay for. Someone else commented about the shipping durability and this does factor into the equasion as well. I am not a fisherman but grew up around the region and have eaten enough to know that, plus I have family in the business too. I would prefer a hard shell over the soft shell any day, but each to their own. Some people swear up and down the meat is sweeter in one more than the other, but I will not say as I don't see it/taste it.

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
Hello Bill,

you will notice the difference when you open them both up side by side, same size lobsters. The shedder will be full of water and very small amounts of meat and the OS or Hard Shell (Old Shell), will be full of meat with a lot less water weight because they have fully grown into their shell and haven't shed yet. Hard shells are a little more work but you get what you pay for. Someone else commented about the shipping durability and this does factor into the equasion as well. I am not a fisherman but grew up around the region and have eaten enough to know that, plus I have family in the business too. I would prefer a hard shell over the soft shell any day, but each to their own. Some people swear up and down the meat is sweeter in one more than the other, but I will not say as I don't see it/taste it.

I can see that being the case fresh off the boat. The bigger issue with quality is how long the houses hold them then how long the fish mongers have them sitting sround in tanks. We got a tractor trailer load of lobster one year that was SO fucking bad my boss at the time was about to pop a fuse. I think I filled 10 or 12 crates with dead lobsters while sorting them. The rig had to turn back around and come get the whole load.

They were canidian and my only guess was they held them for the price to come up just before christmas then sent them out. Luckily back then LIS still had lobsters and between the local guys and what we had in the stock tanks we got through the christmas/ new year season.

I worked 125hrs that week and just slept on the bench seat of my truck.

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
They say the price is dropping in anticipation of the Canadians starting to fish.

I'd rather eat 2 or 3 firmed up new shell lobsters than any other quality of lobster. I eat a lot of lobsters too. Freshest lobsters are best. Pounded lobsters give lobster a bad name imo

nick4634

Lieutenant
NH/Southern Maine any where from 4.50/5.50 to 4/5 split 1 week ago it was 7/5.50. Everyone set thier gear to get the high price and the dealers dropped it because of the canadians. I'm calling BS

Top Bottom