Looking Downeast

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Time for a new girl and I'm as close to certain as can be it will be downeast. The thinking is something in the 35 foot class.

In '04 I found my way into an '02 Albin 28 TE with an engine box that has served me well as a cruiser & recreational fishing machine. Trying to make the boat fit both needs I added an antenna mast, trolling valve, saltwater wash, plumbed the livewell, added Rupp sidekick outriggers, a Revere life raft to the roof top and a couple of swivel rod holders. She is somewhat fishy, but cushy with gen-set, inverter, reverse cycle AC/heat, 1 burner stove, fridge, microwave, combo head w/shower and the coffee pot plugs right in. Overall .. pretty loaded. From Cape Ann, I've had her north to mid-coast Maine and south to Mystic Seaport & a bit further south to Essex, CT and many stops in between.The admiral's been happy, so I've been happy, but now it's time, as two foot-itus has grabbed hold. It's a dreadful boating disease.

I'm thinking I can do it again, by finding a downeast cruiser that can be made somewhat fishy for days bass'n and a few trips a year hunting for charlie.

The Albin settled me right into the 17 - 18 knot cruise and delivering an Ellis 36 Cruiser from Cos Cob, CT to Cape Ann, MA for the new owner hooked me on the downeast hull. I was really hoping for some good Buzzard's bay confused waters on that trip and the bay cooperated. That hull just pushed right through. 4 years since that trip and after 9 seasons aboard the Albin, I'm a single screw diesel guy through & through. Though the finish of an Ellis is out of my league, I do think that I can find something in the 35 ft. class that will work.

For a couple of weeks I've been cruising this forum gathering helpful information and though I'm not yet a DE owner I hope to be able to contribute where I can as I'm a hands on DIY boat guy that's been on the water since forever, but leave the serious diesel trouble shooting & mechanical work to my trusted equipment repair mechanic.

Thanks for being here! :cool:

Eastporter

Admiral
Boat Make
Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
Welcome aboard captain! You'll find plenty of advice here and some good leads on boats.

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Tunaorlator has a nice 36 Northern Bay set up for fishing and cruising that might work for you.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
You might consider 36 feet, I cannot think of a single 35 that doesn't have an engine box. There might be one, but I don't think so.

If I were looking work boat I think you're right, but I'm looking cruiser or sport fish. Small step up from cockpit sole to salon. So far without an engine box in a 35 I've come across Duffy, T Jason & RP though I'll probably never come across an RP and doubtfully a T Jason.

I'm certainly not shutting out a 36. Can't be too discriminating when you're not doing your own build.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Currently with the 38" draft in the Albin I can move in and out up to minus 1 ft. which works fine for me as I can work around that. Before moving there I never would have guessed that and wondered how anyone ever got in and out of there. The dockmaster always shakes his head at some of the tides that I move in and out at.

Not a bad location for a choice of bay side or harbor side. If I land in a 35 Duffy not much will change for shutdown. It's on the short list.

Are you in the harbor?

greg

Captain
If I were looking work boat I think you're right, but I'm looking cruiser or sport fish. Small step up from cockpit sole to salon. So far without an engine box in a 35 I've come across Duffy, T Jason & RP though I'll probably never come across an RP and doubtfully a T Jason.

I'm certainly not shutting out a 36. Can't be too discriminating when you're not doing your own build.

I can confirm the t jason doesn't have an engine box.

If you want to see her, I'm about to unbutton her from the winter wraps and paint. Good time to survey it, though it looks like crap from winter clutter and debris.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Good luck in your search for a DE boat @ 35 feel. In your search I would hone in on the following:
Fiberglass fuel tanks
34-38 footer will need 450 HP to give you good speed
Look for a wet tube designed and built boat as opposed to a wet keel vessel
Fine a build with a propeller aperture that will allow a 26 Propeller
Look for a build that has attention to detail in a finely tapered keel to allow good water follow to the propeller.
Solid gall hull or cored sides with a solid bottom
Some of the current designs that draw my attention with these qualities are:
Flowers
Wesmac
Calvin Beal
Northern Bay
I am sure there are a lot more, the ones listed understand the importance of state of the art keel design for speed and seabilty.

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE

Pitou

Commander
First Name
Kevin
Boat Make
'06 Albin 31 TE
Good luck in your search for a DE boat @ 35 feel. In your search I would hone in on the following:
Fiberglass fuel tanks

What's the good and the bad regarding glass over aluminum or stainless?

Thanks for your advice. ..... answered my own question.

Last edited:
Top Bottom