Looking for 34'-36' DE equipped for cruising

rcwtristan

Lieutenant
Selling my 40', 24,000 lb sailboat (Island Packet). Looking for downeaster, cruising outfitted, vessel with an age of maybe year 2000 to 2004 roughly speaking.

djmarchand

Captain
Boat Make
Atlas Pompano 23 outboard
I went through the same search process as you are going through. Sold the last of 6 sailboats in my sailing career and wanted a downeaster for its seakeeping abilities and no flybridge.

I searched Yachtworld, this site's found boats section, and various FSBO sites. There was very little available at any price that met my criterion. The Calvin Beal noted above is a nice boat but the cabin too short. I wanted a long cabin with galley down that would have two helm seats and room for two settees or an L-shaped settee behind. Those specs are very rare in the downeaster world.

The closest I could come was Bill Parlatore'sGrowler, a Zimmerman 36. It was layed out perfectly. But the price was astronomical.

So, I found a compromise that works pretty well- the Mainship Pilot 34. It meets almost all of my specs. The two settees in the upper cabin are a bit short- about 5' 6" and it isn't finished with a back wall and door- it has a rear plastic enclosure which saves weight and makes it look sporty I suppose.

But all in all it works. There are several 2000-2004 models on the market in the low $100s. They can be had in a soft canvas top or a hardtop that commands $10k more. I like the hardtop.

Here is a picture of mine:

David

Bella at our dock small.jpg

Last edited:

Jay c

Commander
Boat Make
31' Duffy
The "Zimmerman" is a 36 bhm. I met the owner a few years at a show ago when my in laws were looking for a cruiser. He didn't seem to happy when I told my FIL it was alot of money for a fancy bhm...

rcwtristan

Lieutenant
Look no further. New low price of $239,000. Boat is in Onset, MA if you want to have a look, let me know.

http://downeastboatforum.com/free-c...ale-wanted/36-calvin-beal-3418.html#post91047
Still looking for the dreamboat DE for me, the wife and the 2 cats to keep going on after 20,000 miles in my Island Packet. And looking forward the days of not having 53' mast and speed limited to 7 kn. Not a high speed cruiser but 11, 12, 13 - all day long - opens a lot of new doors.

Stinkpot's Calvin Beal is a beauty, and is maybe 80% what I'm looking for. Doesn't have a side door at helm (which I would prefer) but rear steering station accomplishes the same for dockwork,etc. Biggest drawback is a strong preference for giving up some of the beautiful HUGE cockpit in favor of more of a salon. We spend a lot of time on the boat so living quarters get high marks. And price wise is a bit high on my budget which is the 175 to 220 range if I found the perfect boat without too much $$ needed to make it what I want equipement wise. (Not saying Stinkpot's is overpriced - it is a beauty and $ seems quite fair, espec since downward price on it recently. I could deal with most of the mods needed for long term cruising - autopilot, windlsass, swim platform, switch elec stove to propane, all except getting side rails pretty easy. The railing one would be real tough retro fit around $20k one builder told me).

But, bottom line, want more salon space and not sure I want all the beam of a Calvin Beal at almost 14'. Looked at a BHM 36 with 13' beam and it felt like a gym inside! Still think the narrower Duffy 35 is about the size I'm liking best. Am aware of all the Yachtworld listings. Looking for "undiscoverd gems" (right!) but I am willing to pay for what I want if I find it. Thanks for all you guys' input. - Bob in Chesapeake Bay

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
I dont know how handy you are or if you are looking for a project. But My 35 JC with some gutting and new interior layout could fit the bill.
I'll be actually listing the boat once the ice and snow clear my harbor.

MBILL

Commander
Boat Make
35 Duffy&Duffy
I think you'll like the 35 Duffy. I mostly fish mine but have done some cruising trips too. Plenty of room for 2 people and easy to handle.
I have all the bells and whistles you want but unfortunately it's not for sale. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.
A few photos...

L_Settee.jpg

Salon_Fwd.jpg

bob starr photo 2.jpg

rcwtristan

Lieutenant
Thanks Masterenagade, but not really looking for a big project to start out with. Between my 40 Island Packet (sail; selling it) and a 140 year old house, I'm pretty handy with tools. But I've found there's enough of a project just keeping them both Cherry-looking from a constant maintenance standpoint. Am hoping to start out this boat with a 90-95% "just right" to begin with. That's one reason for a pretty hefty budget noted above. -Bob from Chesapeake Bay

MASTERENEGADE

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
Had a DE, now 24' Privateer
No worries. Sooner or later the rite boat will turn up for you. Good hunting to you.

Top Bottom