Looking For a Ride - TJason or BHM

Steiger25

Lieutenant
Boat Make
TJason 28 - In Process
I am looking for any Boston area owners of the Jason 28 or BHM 28 that wouldn't mind taking me for a short ride. I am looking at a new build of one of these boats and would be very grateful to see one in action OTW. If you have some free time and wouldn't mind sharing your knowledge of these boats, please pm me.

Thanks in advance.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
Short ride do not tell the story. If you are seriously looking charter one for a full day it is money well spent. I chartered a few boats before making my mind up. You need to fish the boat you want to buy.

mfrench808

Lieutenant Commander
T-Jason 35

Having built a 28ft downeast boat new in the past, I recommend the T-Jason 35 or BHM 36. Not sure what your needs are (and budget) but 28ft downeast boats, in my opinion in a follownig sea aren't much fun and don't ride that great, maybe in a moderate head sea they are very good. Following sea. beam sea were never much fun in my opinion.

I found my friends 26ft regulator and my 26ft sailfish center console (at 1/6th the cost used) to be much superior riding boats then my 28ft downeast boat ever was. I have a 38ft northern bay now which is the shit and love it.

My 2 cents from experience.

Last edited:

Paidia

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaworthy 28
A 35 or 36 is going to cost twice that of a 28. A new twin engine outboard will cost nearly as much and burn twice as much fuel with no room in the cockpit. Apples and oranges.

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Paidia

Lieutenant
Boat Make
Seaworthy 28
Just saying I don't think it's a fair comparison. And I disagree with the comparison to the center consoles. I had a 28 Hydrasports Vector before building the 28 bhm. The only sea that is was really superior in was in a big steep beam sea. Not only were my rides just as long when it got rough but they were soaking wet and cold. In addition the hard chine in every planning hull I've been in has pounded when dug into a sea. That never happens in the bhm. A new Regulator probably costs as much as a new Seaworthy but maintaining twin outboards and feeding them is going to cost considerably more.

mfrench808

Lieutenant Commander
Ronnie - exactly!!!!

I just wouldn't spend that kind of money on a new build for a 28 downeast boat (I did - bought for $142k and sold for $75k five years later)
I think one is better off buying a good used larger size downeast boat.
My sailfish with a single 250 HP Yamaha blew the doors off my 28 downeast boat. Regulators are expensive but you can get a good used one for $50,000 -$75,000, a lot less than a new build of a 28 downeast boat.

Last edited:

Steiger25

Lieutenant
Boat Make
TJason 28 - In Process
Thanks for the replies and the helpful info. Any other comparisons/thoughts/info would be appreciated as well. My use and budget dictates a 25 to 28 boat. Fishing/recreational lobstering in and around Boston with some family trips. The General Marine 26 is also on my short list.

Eric

hatterasser

Lieutenant
Boat Make
33 uniflite (old capt gig), 26 shamrock, 15 skiff, 21 beach dory
comparison

I know this is kinda late but in respect tothetwo 28s being discussed how would the young brothers 30 compare anyone have any experience able to share

Raider Ronnie

Vice Admiral
Lite User
Website
www.bostonharborcharters.com
Boat Make
33 Flowers.

Mobeach

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
28' Seaworthy BHM
I have a 28' Seaworthy that I bought from a member here. The boat is on the Cape now in Buzzards Bay and will be in Green Harbor in a couple weeks. Feel free to PM me if you want to take a ride. I'm new to DE boats, but after running a Parker DV for the past 15 years, there is no comparison. As others have mentioned, you will need to be at the helm in a following sea, but I have found if I slow down a bit and pay attention it's fine.

Reelman955

Commander
First Name
Roy
Boat Make
New Boat 2015 24 Seaway w/115 Mercury Command Thrust/ Old Boat-2007 28 Seaworthy/BHM 315 Yanmar
Thanks for the first hand experience Mr french. I recently saw your 28 down east over at Kismit. New owner told how much he loved the boat but complained to me about a long ride home in a following sea. I too am in the market for a 28-32 down east and may have to rethink my plan.

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
Trust me.
Go on as many test rides you can, and forget nice sunny days when it's blowing 5-10.
It gets real old getting pushed around in different seas.
My boat for example the worse ride is from other boats wakes.
I'll take you into downtown Boston on a weekend late afternoon and you can get your fill of those there with boat traffic coming from every direction.!

Last November on a cool breezy day Ronnie was gracious enough to take me for an afternoon spin over to Lynn and back on his 28 BHM. He was going over to Tomy's boat (a beautiful 36 Wayne Beal) to p/u a helm seat Tomy had extra.

On the way back he we had a following sea. Granted nothing big but a following sea nonetheless. He let me take the wheel. I didn't find it as a nuisance. No difference than wrestling the wheel on my 31 Blackfin in a following sea with the trim tabs down so I can see over the frigging bow.

Of course in the BHM we were doing 15 knots not 22 knots as in the Blackfin.

No biggee if you don't mind slowing down a bit

Old Mud

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
Don
Boat Make
Ho Made

good company

Ensign
Should you decide on the T Jason 28 I have one nearly ready for the market in South Carolina. It's a 2005 with 2900 hours on a 200hp Yanmar. I believe it to be a great design and weight. 843-838-2505

Top Bottom