looking for my first downeast boat!

crabbychris

Ensign
Website
www.crabbyscharters.com
Boat Make
26 Osprey
Love the site here!

I have a small fishing charter business and run a 26ft Osprey pilot house.I like the boat,it serves me well...But i'm sick of pounding in a 2 foot wind chop!

So,I'm thinking about selling and going to a Downeast style hull.
I found a BHM 28ft with 10.5ft beam with a 315 yanmar...seems to be what I'm after,whats the opinion on this boat?
Handling and performance and stability?

Ps,i don't want a boat over 30ft!

Thanks

CaptLuke

Rear Admiral
Welcome
Buy it!! Great hulls you might need to find more than a 2' wind chop to really feel how big she is for 28'. She will eat up 5's. I'm sure some I've fisherman a few of them and they are tanks probably the most boat you'll get in 28'. I'm sure a few owners will chime in on this thread as ther are a lot of bhm owners in this site.
- Luke

ripta13

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1996 31 BHM
If you like your osprey you ll love a 28 bhm. Its not an 8man boat. My guess is you ll cruise 18kts. If you find one well taken care of, laid out the way you want you'll be very happy.

Dave Wynn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
H&H 32 Desperado
There great boats fished on them many times. There is a guy named Raider Ronnie on this site he has a 28 BHM. He knows every Thing about these boats. Or reach out to Steve Law hes the builder of these boats. He is under the name of mudhake i think.

crabbychris

Ensign
Website
www.crabbyscharters.com
Boat Make
26 Osprey
Thanks for the reply's!

It does look like the perfect boat for me,it will take a bit to get used to the slower cruise speed but the no pounding will be nice!

With the hull being flat at the rear,would that mean more stable at drift than a Vee hull?
And the boat i'm looking at has no trim tabs...not needed??

Also..is the "super structure" on bhm's all glass,cored or wood?

Are these boats hard to come by,or is there usually a few for sale?

I know...lots of newby questions!

with my canuck dollar falling fast,and still having to sell my rig,I may have to waite till fall to make the jump!

Teaserhead

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
1990 Flye Pt. 32 BHM
Crabby, I bet you ran into Kevin from wicked tuna at the Vic boat show this wknd didn't ya! I have a place in Sooke, live in bellingham, and own a 32 BHM. I sold my 23 Hourston, and my 20 Double Eagle with a 225 Yamaha to buy my DE and it's the best boat move I have ever made. This is a great site, and nice to have a neighbor so to speak on here! Come on over, love to give you a ride. I know what's it's like to try to find a DE when living out west. PM me if you want, I'd love to help you in your search.

captainlarry84

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
KristenFormer Charter Captain
The best motor ever put in a 28 BHM was the 315 Yanmar. Boat sounds like a winner!

m williams

Commander
The 28 bhm is a real big 28 I just bought
Mine in December I bought it from a member on here. You will find a lot of info on this site about the downeasts boat realy great people on here with a lot of great info realy helpful site

Mobeach

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
28' Seaworthy BHM
I bought a 28'BHM from another member on this site. Handles a head sea great, took me some time at the helm to get used of a following sea. I replace my 25' Parker Sport Cabin. Miss the speed on calm days, but don't miss the pounding I would take when it got sloppy!

Top Bottom