Looking for some history on a 31' JC

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
Greetings!
I am a newbie to this site...what a wealth of information! There are some extremely talented craftsman showing their skills...
I am in the process of possibly acquiring a 31' JC that has long family ties. My dad had a 1983 hull fabricated by JC in New Hampshire...airex cored, fiberglass tanks. He had a customized 'Express' build-out by Crosby Yacht in Osterville, MA. He fished that boat as a 6 pack charter boat in Montauk for what we think is about 20 years...the PISCES III. He then sold the boat, ran it for the owner for a few years, then it disappeared, only to re-emerge in Hampton Bays, NY in 2008, at which time it was resold to the current owner. My dad is 94, and is having trouble putting all the pieces together...which is why I am looking for help.

The Pisces III had many fine memories for me, including GBT up to 518 lbs. But, at that time, I was more of an observer than a participant, and really didn't give the boat a concern during my graduate school days. Almost 40 years later, the PISCES III reappears! While I currently have a Parker Walkaround that I love, I still was looking at the wanted ads, looking at Fortier, Dyer and JC. Last week, much to my surprise, I put JC in my browser and...there it is...the PISCES III !!! I couldn't believe it. I called the broker, arranged a 'look see', at which time I was able to bring my dad, the original captain, and here we are. I have a survey and a sea trial set up for next week; and possibly will be the next owner of a 31' JC, PISCES III !

I am trying to find out where the boat was between about 2003 and 2008. We think it was in North Carolina for a while, but wasn't used very much. It had a bow thruster installed, but little else needed to be done. If anyone has any possible information, it would be greatly appreciated. I will keep everyone up to date over the next few weeks regarding the survey.

The PISCES III in her prime!
View attachment 112872
We fished with Tony years back. Had an epic striper trip for a bachelor party. Out of Star Island. 25 ish years ago.

Eye doc

Ensign
First Name
Al
Boat Make
31’ JC
Glad to hear you had a great trip. My father was an excellent captain with a great boat. I'm just hoping that some of that MOJO is still on this hull!

Eslang

Commander
Boat Make
43 Flowers
Glad to hear you had a great trip. My father was an excellent captain with a great boat. I'm just hoping that some of that MOJO is still on this hull!
Read the article in the Press this am. Tony looks great. We should all be so lucky to look like that at his age. Good luck with the boat. He must be very happy to have it back in the family

Shadow

Lieutenant
First Name
Peter
Boat Make
JC 31
Very cool. I own an 83 JC 31, but my real motivation to get serious about buying a boat came about 5 or 6 years back when my grandparents' 49 foot Edward Monk motor yacht came back on the market, and I couldn't figure out a good way to buy it and make it pay (more or less) for itself (not having a captain's license).

My grandpa used to run nature charters in SE Alaska, and I went with them and my folks to Glacier Bay before I was in kindergarten.

Their boat went to become a nature tour charter in Columbia (i.e., South America), which is probably a great next step for it. I have memories and picture, and a boat that's made of solid fiberglass instead of wood. (And now a couple of years of commercial fishing under my belt).

Eye doc

Ensign
First Name
Al
Boat Make
31’ JC
Well, this story has a happy ending! My brother, Capt. Sam and I ran the Pisces 80+ miles from Shinnecock to Narragansett Bay. The trip went great, the boat ran flawless! My dad was at the dock, waiting, with tears in his eyes as I pulled in…and I pulled it out and backed that ‘puppy’ in on the first shot, like I was doing it all my life. It was a GREAT DAY!
I thank all those on this site for your interest, support and well wishes. I hope to be a frequent contributor as time moves forward. Cheers!

72525237-839F-404F-A7B5-B9DF4998C808.jpeg

42FB5C9E-D0D1-408B-B9BA-1E8B2B20FADA.jpeg

Boxerboy2

Lieutenant Commander
Great end to a Goldilocks story, congratulations on returning the boat back to your father!

Blitzen

Admiral
Boat Make
Flowers Boat Works 46 hull #1, Flowers Boat Works 36 hull #1, Wayne Beal 28 Hull #1, Repco 30 1968,
Very nice story, and happy for you and your family. I hope she brings many more fond memories to your family.

Anthony Kotoun

Lieutenant Commander
Lite User
First Name
Anthony
Boat Make
JC-31

PM5

Lieutenant
Wow Great story! Very cool for you and your dad! Good luck. Bring her home and enjoy the old memories and create some new ones!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom