Looking for suggestions on a 28-32 hull...

LISsailor

Ensign
Hi guys,

Love this forum and happy to be here. I'm new to these boats so please forgive me. I am in an interesting situation where I may be selling my Southport Center Console. It's not even on the market but a broker put us together. Anyway, I may take this opportunity to get into a DE.

I am looking for something in the 28-32ft range. It can obviously be bigger, but my budget might prevent that. The hardest part is the small supply of these boats. I am looking for something family friendly but also something suitable for bass fishing in the Long Island Sound. I would love a 20kt cruise.

I love the Mitchel Cove, but its not very comfortable below and I can drool over Wesmac's all day long. Most BHM's are very work-related boats and I'm looking for more of a compromise. My budget is $125,000. Any advice? Im ok with something about 10yrs old but not much older.

I appreciate it greatly!

Reelman955

Commander
First Name
Roy
Boat Make
New Boat 2015 24 Seaway w/115 Mercury Command Thrust/ Old Boat-2007 28 Seaworthy/BHM 315 Yanmar
There's a nice AJ-28 for sale on yacht world. Think the asking price is 89k. Boat is in Connecticut. From the photos it looks to be finished nice down below and I believe it had a cruise in the 18-20 kt range.

LISsailor

Ensign
Wow, that is a sweet little boat! Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it.

Dave Wynn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
H&H 32 Desperado
There is a 28 Northren Bay for sale with the green Hull That is a very SWEET boat . that baot would work out very well for what you are looking to do. The boat is call Miss lydia I think. Its on the web site of Northren Bay boats. It was also in the national Fisherman. I think he was asking 90K

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
Yeah the Miss Lydia's worth looking at - she's got outriggers and a nice pilothouse. The boat's up here in Dorchester and if you were interested I'd start driving now.

MDI45

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
45MDI /28WB
LISsailor,You might want to look up RobertM on this site...he has a beautiful 31 Duffy that is finished off real nice down below.....iam sure there are some pictures of it here somewhere......and it might be for sale....good luck

LISsailor

Ensign
Do you think it would be possible to get into a new Calvin Beal?! I never thought I would be able to afford a new boat. I would imagine the "ready to fish price" excludes a lot of the luxury features I would want. Perhaps I can give them a call.

Keep them coming guys! This place is awesome.

Dave Wynn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
H&H 32 Desperado
I shoped for a 28 to 32 FT new boat for 2 years I looked and priced just about every DE boat. Loved them all !!! They all had something that I want in a boat. The bottom line is a new boat in that size range. You are spending anywhere from 170K to 300K before it gets to your dock. No Matter what you put in it with in reason. If your not into the real fine finishes your best bang for your buck is the 28 BHM maded by Steve Law. Just my opion

BillD

Admiral
Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
Boat Make
25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
LIsailor,

As Dave said, figure 160K-170K for a well put together bare bones 30-32 footer.

Here's a recent breakdown of some "hard pricing" I've obtained from 3 shops for what I'd be looking to have built. My plan would be to "finish" the boat myself so I'd be saving some labor costs.

All 3 shops are plus/minus two or three $grand$ for the list I'd want done.

White solid glass hull
White divinycell standard top and washrails
Top and hull attached and glassed together
Engine install (Pick your engine/trans $40K-50K)
Shaft tube dripless install
rudder install
Align
fuel tanks (aluminum or fiberglass)
Deck flange
bow thruster tube only install
spray rails, lifting rails, quarter guards
helm bulkhead/molded dash
rub rail with stainless insert

Figure 93K-105K depending on length of 30-33 footer.

Figure another 30K for parts/components to "get it moving in the water to use"

Figure another $$$$$$ for how fancy you want the boat, ac/heat, flush enclosed head, fridge/microwave etc.

Then "put it all together"....:D

FWIW, Bill D

Dave Wynn

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
H&H 32 Desperado
Bill I agree. 170 to 300K was a complete boat to me from the boat builder to my dock. I also built the boat out to a high end commercal grade on all of them.

Top Bottom