Looking into 1973 Royal Lowell (possibly sisu 22) boat - help with identifying

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by xoibsurferx, May 10, 2019.

1. xoibsurferx

xoibsurferx Member

Hello everyone!,

I'm located in NC and looking to purchase what I was told is a 1973 Royal Lowell with a diesel motor that appears to be close to a Sisu 22 design. The place that has it now is going through the motor to determine its condition which will I'm sure determine the price they'll ask.

I'm sure I'll get laughed at for this but my goal is to clean her up and actually use her for taking on the local lakes as well as the ocean with my wife and kids as its big enough to do so and apparently these hulls ride smooth and plus I love that its unique.

Can anyone help identify this specific vessel as well as the diesel motor? I've tried to find this particular motor but didn't have any luck. I was told its a Ford Lehman but would like to know which model specifically it is.

Below are pictures of it. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    This boat was listed here on the forum: 1973 Royal Lowell - 800 Bucks!

I'd say if you bought it you found a great deal, but now you have a project on your hands. Best of luck with it. It should be a nice boat when complete.

xoibsurferx likes this.
  3. xoibsurferx

xoibsurferx Member

Thank you for passing that on! The guy actually sold it to a liquidation place and was trying to buy it back so I could buy it but they wouldn't let it go. So now I'm trying to buy it from the liquidation place in hopes they don't charge triple the original asking price or more.

The latest update I received was they're going through the motor now and trying to get it running (assuming they'll charge me a lot more if it actually runs). They said after they know the condition of the motor they'll be able to give me a price.

If they get it running it appears to need a very deep cleaning, probably needs bottom paint as well, and they said there's a few soft spots on the deck floor. I'll also want to add a marine radio and do something with the little cabin (no cushions or anything in there now). If they don't get it running that'll be the biggest challenge for sure...Any idea what exact motor that is?

4. fordy

fordy Senior Member

Did you see the boat in person because it doesn't look seaworthy in the listing. I'll go out on a limb and warn you not to buy this because it needs repairs beyond most expertise

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    xoibsurferx likes this.
  5. xoibsurferx

xoibsurferx Member

I have not seen it in person. Pending what condition the engine is in and if theydon't ask for a fortune for it I'll go check it out.

I'm pretty new to these style boats - is there anything I should look for that would determine if its seaworthy or not?

6. CapeCodNorton

CapeCodNorton Senior Member

Firefighter/Paramedic Hyannis Fire Department
    Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    I’d say definitely a Sisu, they have balsa coring throughout the hull, that would be my major concern with not seeing it in person and being able to inspect it. They are built extremely well though, I haven’t read many instances of them being junk because of core issues but you never know. I think most of them had small Perkins motors in them, like 80 horses and they run 13kts WOT

xoibsurferx likes this.
  7. xoibsurferx

xoibsurferx Member

Thank you for the information. What I do know is that it had water in it when the liquidation place picked it up. Not sure how long it has had water in it but I'm wondering if it messed up that balsa coring your talking about as that would definitely cause issues with strength throughout the hull.

13kts is better than not being on the water at all! Like I said its a unique boat for sure and I'd love to have it if its for a decent price and salvagable. My concern is the liquidation place will be asking for a premium...Especially if they get it running which is a good thing but would definitely make the price much higher I'm sure. Fingers crossed.

8. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    It's a unique boat alright, so unique it would need a major refit and redo before being able to safely take women and children out on the ocean. Not trying to rain on your parade, but you better have some decent boat building/repair skills and knowledge before that boat would be ocean worthy. If you don't have the tools and knowledge to rebuild a boat, you would be time and money ahead acquiring a boat that is ready to go.

9. xoibsurferx

xoibsurferx Member

Thanks for the honesty. I know it needs a deep deep cleaning and with the floor having some soft spots will need that fixed and some bottom paint and what ever is wrong with the motor. But as others have mentioned I’m worried that the cores may be rotten since it was sitting with water in it for an extended time. Obviously I don’t want to put my family in danger so thanks for the heads up. I definitely don’t have time or tools to completely redo a boat but could deep clean it and bottom paint it and fix some odd and ends but that’s about as much as I have the capabilities to do.

10. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    It doesn't need a deep clean, it needs a complete gutting down to the bare hull. Everything in that almost 50 year old boat is shot. And it looks to have been stored outside all its life. Wiring, bilge pumps, battery, steering, decks, structure, rudder, engine, shaft, prop, windows, etc, etc are all old and need replaced. If a guy had the skills and tools, and could get it for free, it might be worth it to someone to resurrect it, providing the hull is still sound.

11. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    THIS IS NOT A DEEP CLEANING PROJECT!

12. Spence

Spence Senior Member

I seem to recall that back in the day they also installed VW diesels when Sisu was built in Portsmouth?

13. xoibsurferx

xoibsurferx Member

Unfortunately they’re asking $2900 for the boat as is with trailer...they haven’t answered me if they’ve got it running or not but I just don’t see it being worth that with all the work it would need to be water ready.

14. Ben Zehnder

Ben Zehnder Member

Attorney
    Boat Make:
    Flowers 25
    Run don’t walk.

xoibsurferx likes this.
  15. xoibsurferx

xoibsurferx Member

I did pass on it. It’s an Lanier Marine if any of you are interested in it and have the means to fix it up. I ended up purchasing a 26ft Trojan setup for sport fishing with a 6bt Cummins which will be a little safer and is already water ready.

Thanks for all of your honest responses. I would rather be safe than sorry.

16. stumpstalker

stumpstalker Member

Whew. Good you passed on that one.

Anyway, the safety of your family has more to do with the operator than the boat.