Lugger 6140 600 hp

Helen L

Commander
Diversion, 46' Jarvis Newman full time offshore lobster, has one. Original 1993 engine, rebuilt in '03. I've heard they're reliable. His fuel bill was something like $60k one year. But he goes for days and cruises around 15knts

Blacktide

Commander
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36
I have the 6125ta and I have heard some stories of really high hours on some. I,m not sure on the 600 but I would expect 10-20 thousand from what I heard.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
The Lugger 6140 is a marinized Komatsu engine and it has a reputation for very long hours. I've heard of 20,000 or more w/o ever having the head off. It has individual cylinder heads, so if you need to put a kit in a bad hole, you don't have to pull all six. It's a big six cylinder, something like 15 liters or 900 cubic inches, so 600 hp out of that size engine is not much of a strain. There is a tendency to smoke heavily at idle (moreso the 700 hp version) so they never caught on w/ the sportfishing market. It's a low rpm engine- WOT is 2100 rpms I think, so you need to take that into consideration when choosing a reduction gear. These engines have not been produced for the US market for a few years now. I think 2007 or 2008 was the last year for them. Parts can be pretty expensive, especially the marinized parts. For cylinder kits, main bearings and such you can save a lot by buying Komatsu instead of Lugger. Great engine, but kind of a rarity in the East. They are actually quite efficient with fuel.

Tower Todd

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.mountainequipmentservices.com
Boat Make
Albemarle 28
I spoke with Lugger a couple of years back and they had pulled thier higher HP engines off the market as they were having trouble meeting the higher Tier Ratings. They told me they were working on the 700HP and it should be out soon. It has been 2 years and still nothing. I'm sure the high cost to meet the regulations is hard to justify if they don't sell a large enough volume to recoup the costs. Luggers are well regarded out here on the left coast.

In heavy equipment, the Komatsu engines are tough. Many of the used machines have either a Komatsu or Cummins and the machines with the Komatsu engines are musch easier to sell. They last longer.

Todd

reelsportfishing

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.ReeltoReelSportfishing.com
Boat Make
1999 40' Young Brothers
Thanks for all the good info. The boat I'm looking at has 15000 hours on the engine. The owner told me you could expect at least 20k out of them and some of the draggers in the port had 40k on them. I heard it run and the smoke never really cleared up at idle, just like Petrel said. He also told me parts were pretty expensive which is no big surprise. They're all expensive even the Detroit parts are expensive today. Factory support wasn't that good but where I'm located, Rhode Island engine is a distributor for LUGGER.

Pedlyr

Captain
Frank Blount has Luggers in some of the Francis Fleet head boats in Pt Judith. Not sure how happy he is with them.

The Rayda Cherimie is a dragger in Pt Judith as well. They are tied up now with Lugger issues. Think they have been ongoing with the crankshaft.

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
Five years ago a new crank f/ a 6140 was like $6000 from Komatsu. It's a big one.

F/V First Team

Admiral
Website
www.otisenterprisesmarine.com
Boat Make
Northern Bay 36 - Modified
Spoke with the Lugger guy yesterday at the show in Moncton, all engines are based on Komatsu blocks and the bigger ones can't pass emissions. Can't wait until the urea systems have to come into play. I'm sure that will make things more economical to run...

Downeaster

Lieutenant Commander
Spoke with the Lugger guy yesterday at the show in Moncton, all engines are based on Komatsu blocks and the bigger ones can't pass emissions. Can't wait until the urea systems have to come into play. I'm sure that will make things more economical to run...
Did the Lugger guy have anything to say regards his lineup meeting Tier IV standards? How likely is it that an engine that can't pass the earlier Tier (emissions) standards passing at Tier IV through the use of cats? Lugger's efforts at emission compliance so far don't show me much regards a commitment to their marine division.

Tower Todd

Lieutenant Commander
Website
www.mountainequipmentservices.com
Boat Make
Albemarle 28
Some models of Komatsu heavy equipment currently being sold already have interim Tier 4 ratings. So it may be Lugger and thier willingness to develop the line to meet the the tier ratings. Maybe it is more involved and the costs top develop outweigh the possible return from the number of engines they would expect to sell. While I am all for cleaner engines and all of that, the way the govmint shoves these regulations down pipe it isn't suprising to see some companies that finally say it is no longer worth it.

Last edited:

petrel

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
56' DMR, 31' BHM
For the volume a company like Lugger does, it has to be really hard to compete w/ Cat and Cummins. Especially when it comes to bigger engines.

NWWhales

Ensign
Hi All. I picked up your thread about the Lugger 6140 through a google search. I have a 6140 in a Passenger Vessel (55' Delta) and (knock on wood) its been a very good engine. I'm in the market for a spare and wondering if anyone knows of a boat, fleet, or spare. thanks

Top Bottom