Lurking & Learning

Halcyon199

Ensign
Hello all. I just sold the sailboat that I have owned for 19 years and have joined this forum to learn about downeast boats. We moved seven miles up a busy river with a bridge between me and open water. This change brings me to the market for a 24-28’ downeast style boat. Looking for a good cockpit for picnics and cocktails, seaworthiness for trips around Long Island Sound out to Block Island, and classic good looks.

mbsl98

Lieutenant
First Name
Mike
You sound much like me. I moved from Marion, MA up to the Piscataqua river, 6 miles and two opening bridges above Portsmouth, NH. Piscataqua is supposed to be the 2nd or 3rd fastest tidal estuary in North America, generally running 4 knots at least part of each tide. I stayed with my Marshall 22 catboat but that has a 3cyl Yanmar dieserl under it so it can batle the current OK at 6 knot hull speed. still takes forever heading upriver against that current. so you do plan your outings with the tide in control. I later got to rent a mooring right in Portsmouth Harbor, below the bridges but still in the current. Then got to buy a 1660 house with a dock a few hundred yards from my rental mooring. Right now, after 10 years here with Marshall, I'm getting the Marshall ready to be moved back to Marshall and put in their brokerage. Next up is the search for a 24-28 DE. For that, I have a couple of discussions running here, in the Newbie forum and also in the 25 and over forum (Looking for targeted advice). You might follow those as there has been some nice input. I was somewhat pre-focussed on a Fortier 26 trunk cabin softtop with a classic bimini top that can be folded away rather than the fixed fiberglass hardtops that are very popular. Currently have a F26 under contract, and getting good advice for that step as well. Fortier owners are pretty dedicated, and have their own group on Facebook, where I am also getting great inputs. My guess is that other classic DE brands also have similar followings and may well also have Facebook groups, if you narrow your focus to one label. Dyer 29's are really only 28 1/2', get great reviews from followers, and are possibly more prolific than some of the more custon DE builds. They have a little more focus on cabin amenities than the Fortiers, but I am really looking for cockpit versus cabin so the F26 really speaks to me. Its fascinating to see just how different a bunch of very similar boats can be when they are semi-custon products.

Halcyon199

Ensign
You sound much like me. I moved from Marion, MA up to the Piscataqua river, 6 miles and two opening bridges above Portsmouth, NH. Piscataqua is supposed to be the 2nd or 3rd fastest tidal estuary in North America, generally running 4 knots at least part of each tide. I stayed with my Marshall 22 catboat but that has a 3cyl Yanmar dieserl under it so it can batle the current OK at 6 knot hull speed. still takes forever heading upriver against that current. so you do plan your outings with the tide in control. I later got to rent a mooring right in Portsmouth Harbor, below the bridges but still in the current. Then got to buy a 1660 house with a dock a few hundred yards from my rental mooring. Right now, after 10 years here with Marshall, I'm getting the Marshall ready to be moved back to Marshall and put in their brokerage. Next up is the search for a 24-28 DE. For that, I have a couple of discussions running here, in the Newbie forum and also in the 25 and over forum (Looking for targeted advice). You might follow those as there has been some nice input. I was somewhat pre-focussed on a Fortier 26 trunk cabin softtop with a classic bimini top that can be folded away rather than the fixed fiberglass hardtops that are very popular. Currently have a F26 under contract, and getting good advice for that step as well. Fortier owners are pretty dedicated, and have their own group on Facebook, where I am also getting great inputs. My guess is that other classic DE brands also have similar followings and may well also have Facebook groups, if you narrow your focus to one label. Dyer 29's are really only 28 1/2', get great reviews from followers, and are possibly more prolific than some of the more custon DE builds. They have a little more focus on cabin amenities than the Fortiers, but I am really looking for cockpit versus cabin so the F26 really speaks to me. Its fascinating to see just how different a bunch of very similar boats can be when they are semi-custon products.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I really appreciate the value of a strong owners group. Yes, we're in the same boat and have very similar taste. Love the look of the softtop Fortiers, Dyers, Wasques, etc. My Nonsuch30 was too much boat for the busy river. A friend of mine is looking for a Marshall 22. I would be happy to share any info on yours with him if you want to private message me. Good luck with the FL boat.

Top Bottom